The Pirate Bay is starting a new torrent tracker

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 02 Oct 2007 19:51 User comments (15)

The Pirate Bay is starting a new torrent tracker The admins over at The Pirate Bay have decided that their extremely popular torrent tracker has reached its performance limit and have announced that they are currently working on a more efficient open source tracker that will even protect better against anti-piracy groups.
TPB also said they had moved their servers to a new datacenter and added an extra four brand new servers making their total an impressive 16. The new datacenter also allows for better protection against DDoS attacks and "nullrouting the spam-nets from anti-piracy organizations."

According to the tracker design page, the "new tracker will be capable of blocking and/or logging known p2p vandals such as MediaDefender, BayTSP, MediaSentry and EZ2net." The new tracker should also help ensure the privacy of its users as well as using less bandwidth while connecting to more peers.

Source:
TF

13.10.2007 13:11

Only at the PirateBay, these guys rock.

23.10.2007 16:25

I wish I could buy stock in TPB!

33.10.2007 17:04

lol c1c those stocks would be so far through the fkin roof

44.10.2007 1:25

For some reason I suddenly wondered how much money they make through the advertising... they must be minted!! :)

When you think about it, the music and movie industry are idiots, they could easily cripple these sites by threatening the ad companies who pay TPB for displayin ad's... it would remove the money and therefore the main incentive for being a huge tracker site.

54.10.2007 4:40

Originally posted by AtiLaw:

In theory yes it could work, but there is no law agaisnt advertising on a site that can be used for "piracy".

64.10.2007 5:29

Yeah, you're probably right. Obviously I'm not remotely bothered that the millionair execs wont be able to afford this year's latest Rolls Royce, but I just thought it would be an interesting idea! :)

74.10.2007 5:33

I also forgot to add:
"...there is no law agaisnt advertising on a site that can be used for "piracy" " ...... yet, watch this space! :)

84.10.2007 16:33

Originally posted by AtiLaw:
I also forgot to add:
haha. too true... too true.

96.10.2007 7:00
cowly

i must say they have always been a favourite of mine

107.10.2007 21:01

Originally posted by AtiLaw:

I read an article that they rake in millions and millions in a few months from advertising. Mad money.

119.10.2007 19:35

this is great news.

129.11.2007 4:10

@ whoever asked how much money they make...

A less popular torrent site reported ad sales alone each month of 75,000USD. I believe I read it on that torrent news site. Anyways, I heard they have around 1.5 million visits a day, not unique perhaps, but nevertheless. I'm estimating they gross over 100,000 a month in sales. Thats a low end estimate though.

139.11.2007 4:28

TPB kicks ass.

AMD Quad 9950, Asus Motherboard, 2G Kingston Ram, 512MB Asus 8600GT, Samsung DVD Rom sh- d162c, LG Rom GDR8163B,
LG Burner h62n

1419.11.2007 10:46

Yup, Pirate Bay is the leading ship in the torrent-site armada. But I'm afraid they catch so much wind that they will become a very obvious target for organisations like the Dutch BREIN (Bastard Retards Enabling Insane N*zi-practices or something like that) and that they will be taken down hard. Well, they will try. But I think nothing short of a nuke will stop The Pirate Bay!

Greetz Deznaj

1519.11.2007 11:03

Keep going TPB. You've got my support!