AfterDawn: Tech news

MovieBeam set to shut down

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 06 Dec 2007 18:36 User comments (12)

MovieBeam set to shut down One of the original online movie download services, MovieBeam, will be shutting down next week after failing miserably despite over $100 million USD in funding.
Since being created by Disney, the service has failed on a mass consumer market, mainly due to its very expensive cost and unique delivery method that limits the service to only 31 metropolitan areas.

Movie Gallery bought the service last year for $10 million USD, a tiny fraction of the $70 million USD Disney reportedly spent on the project.

MovieBeam "receives the content over the air with an antenna connected to a Set-Top Box. A phone line is also required for billing and ordering purposes." In addition to buying a $250 USD set-top box, all customers also have to pay a $30 activation fee. All this is before you can even view one movie. Prices range from $3.99 to $11.99 USD, with a $1 added fee for high-definition content.

It seems those crazy prices, along with strong competition from CinemaNow, iTunes, Amazon Unbox, NetFlix and Vudu finally sank MovieBeam.

Source:
Betanews

Previous Next  

12 user comments

17.12.2007 1:49

not to mention HD content is available on torrents for free..and well seeded on some sites

27.12.2007 2:58

Who here still has a POTS line to begin with?

37.12.2007 7:12

I had never even heard of this service. But with the prices for the equipment and rentals I can see why it failed. There are better alternatives out there....

47.12.2007 9:30

Originally posted by Bucknekid:
I had never even heard of this service. But with the prices for the equipment and rentals I can see why it failed. There are better alternatives out there....
Never heard of it and way too expensive.

57.12.2007 9:30

Or you could just use VideoOnDemand and it would do the same thing.

67.12.2007 11:32

HOLY SHIZZY!!

I'm tech crazy but this is the first I've heard of this piece of crap service. My jaw just dropped when I heard (and verified) what is needed to get this garbage going. Is Disney's head up Mickey's arse ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I mean, seriously, did they honestly think that people want to avoid a rental store or even crap like Movielink THAT BADLY???? When I first started reading this article, I thought after the first sentence that this was another download site like Movielink but nooooooooo. Not even close. I'm amazed at the blatant stupidity of people in this world. I firmly believe that all the wrong people are in positions of authority or power. Change out the majority of the politicians and CEOs, Presidents, VPs and don't let them EVER make decisions for any frakkin' person again.................including themselves (unless it results in their own demise).

77.12.2007 11:46

Now I'm pissed!!!!!!

I felt compelled to call Moviebeam after visiting their site to see if what I thought was actually true................They are still pushing this service.

So I called and said:

"Hello, I just wanted to call to see if in fact Moviebeam is set to shutdown soon."

Rep says:

"We are aware of all the news articles and information out there stating this yet we have not been informed AT ALL of any intent to close our service"

So I said:

"What a shame that business in America is so dishonest that it just screws and screws people like in this case where you will charge people this ridiculous price of 150.00 bucks for a service that is apparently scheduled to shut down in a week."

Rep says:

"Sir I'm being completely honest with you"

I say:

"I really can't tell that now can I, but even so, your superiors have no intent to inform customers that this is going on and you and your company will screw people and take their money and then close the doors and fight to prevent reimbursement. How sad.......'click'"

Yet another frakking example of not doing the right thing. Money hungry is one thing but cutting other's throats to achieve every penny is another.

87.12.2007 12:43

By the box?
I would not by an item which after a comapny's fail cannot be used even in a henhouse...
Thow brillant mind could be cover this cost in the fee of each movie or monthly expences.
Super Goofy Rulz!
Alas!

98.12.2007 13:28
jhardy031
Inactive

i had miviebeam until about a month ago. i bought the box when it first came out for $99. VOD wasn't online yet. i have to say that in the beginning it was very convenient. then i discovered FTA. the box collected dust until a month ago when i turned it on to see if the movie list was up to date. the box didnt work. when i contacted customer service, they said i ws out of warranty, and they would send new box for $40. since i havent used it in a while, i declined. i took out the 160GB hard drive and threw away the rest.

108.12.2007 16:10

Screw Moviebeam. Terribly overpriced service anyways and for what? A couple of super bloom disney movies?

119.12.2007 2:56

Originally posted by tester22:
Now I'm pissed!!!!!!

I felt compelled to call Moviebeam after visiting their site to see if what I thought was actually true................They are still pushing this service.

So I called and said:

"Hello, I just wanted to call to see if in fact Moviebeam is set to shutdown soon."

Rep says:

"We are aware of all the news articles and information out there stating this yet we have not been informed AT ALL of any intent to close our service"

So I said:

"What a shame that business in America is so dishonest that it just screws and screws people like in this case where you will charge people this ridiculous price of 150.00 bucks for a service that is apparently scheduled to shut down in a week."

Rep says:

"Sir I'm being completely honest with you"

I say:

"I really can't tell that now can I, but even so, your superiors have no intent to inform customers that this is going on and you and your company will screw people and take their money and then close the doors and fight to prevent reimbursement. How sad.......'click'"

Yet another frakking example of not doing the right thing. Money hungry is one thing but cutting other's throats to achieve every penny is another.

I know that the guy in the phone was only doing the job the Big Guys upstairs told him to, but MAN!! it must sucks big time to have to lie to the costumers when they ask about the ending of the service like in the example you set, this phone rep must be or the coldest s.o.b. or the most desperate (hey,it's still a job) for a paycheck...

I don't think a lot of people heard about this service, and seeing the conditions it's no wonder, if more people had see the "nice" options this service provided, word on this crap would be all over the place in matter of seconds,and lasted even less in the maarket that it actually did, the Big Guys really must thought people are that dumb that will buy any crap they try to sell them.

And they still wonder why people use file sharing??? Are you freaking kidding me??

1223.12.2007 18:45

Quote:
Since being created by Disney, the service has failed on a mass consumer market, mainly due to its very expensive cost and unique delivery method that limits the service to only 31 metropolitan areas.
This is what happens when u put limitations for your company if you want it to grow spread it out as wide as possible but also set realistic targets for you to reach.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive