AfterDawn: Tech news

Sony shrinks Blu-ray lasers

Written by Dave Horvath @ 25 Jan 2008 16:09 User comments (28)

Sony has announced today that they have successfully produced a read/write Blu-ray laser that is only 3mm thick. This new thin laser was developed in cooperation with Nichia and can read dual layer media, including those that use organic dyes. Sony says by reducing the size and the complexity of the laser assembly, production costs will go down and ultimately amount to cheaper players for consumers. The first device planned to incorporate this new laser assembly will be a 9.5mm thick laptop available later this year.
Cost savings come from a simpler manufacturing process that will yield dividends in mass production, while other features include the ability to handle dual-layer Blu-ray Discs and disks with organic dye in the recording layers. Organic disks can be churned out from existing DVD production lines, thereby adding up to saving across the board.

Previous Next  

28 user comments

125.1.2008 16:31

Quote:
Organic disks can be churned out from existing DVD production lines, thereby adding up to saving across the board.
Thats huge there i got to give it to BDA they really got they stuff together & really not backing off BD becoming the next format.

225.1.2008 16:56

I think it's time to update my laptop drive. This is very good news for br but not for hddvd. I honestly feel safe buying a br player but I will wait just in case there is some amazing turn around.

325.1.2008 17:30
nobrainer
Inactive

its just a shame that many players including sony's own Sony BDP-S300 does not support BD-R media so you will never be playing copies or home movies on this hardware!

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=BDPS300

READ BELOW SONY PDF: Operating Instructions:

http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/DocsConnect/...ualid=99519&DL=

and lookup "This player can play the following discs and files" and then look at "Examples of discs that the player cannot play" and you will see at the top BD-REs/BD-Rs, neither will it play DVD-RW, DVD-R film backups with stripped css or restructuring or without region coding!

425.1.2008 17:38
camaro17
Inactive

sounds like a great accomplishment for blu-ray.

Peace

525.1.2008 18:09
banned4Lf
Inactive

Quote:
Quote:
Organic disks can be churned out from existing DVD production lines, thereby adding up to saving across the board.
Thats huge there i got to give it to BDA they really got they stuff together & really not backing off BD becoming the next format.

Whatever!!! Keep diluting yourself into the "Next format" idea. Both are here for good..............or at least for tens of years and dual format players will be the absolute standard. If you don't believe or disagree....................well then...............poor you. It's so common that people set themselves up for a let down.

625.1.2008 18:24

So if you can't play BD-R on your bluray player then it will be impossible to create backups of your expensive movies to play on your player. That stinks...

725.1.2008 18:37
banned4Lf
Inactive

Originally posted by c1c:
So if you can't play BD-R on your bluray player then it will be impossible to create backups of your expensive movies to play on your player. That stinks...

"Backups"..........HE HE HE...........that's kinda funny.

825.1.2008 21:43

Originally posted by nobrainer:
and lookup "This player can play the following discs and files" and then look at "Examples of discs that the player cannot play" and you will see at the top BD-REs/BD-Rs, neither will it play DVD-RW, DVD-R film backups with stripped css or restructuring or without region coding!
If you look in the software updates area for this player, the most recent software update will allow it to play BD-R discs (supposedly).

I don't know where you get that it won't play DVD-R or DVD-RW movies with stripped CSS. Works fine for me.

- Bob

925.1.2008 23:53
red2tango
Inactive

its called downloading n puttn it on my ps3,nobrainer probably still user laser disc players.

1025.1.2008 23:58

Nice...keep at it it might be worthwhile i 2 or 3 years.

1126.1.2008 4:12

Nobrainer is a Sony hater. I'm sorry if this upsets you nobrainer but I have seen many of your posts. Whilst there are some facts to what you say, it is very clear that you are against Sony. It wouldn't hurt you to see things in a positive light every now and then.

Originally posted by banned4Lf:
Whatever!!! Keep diluting yourself into the "Next format" idea. Both are here for good..............or at least for tens of years and dual format players will be the absolute standard. If you don't believe or disagree....................well then...............poor you. It's so common that people set themselves up for a let down.
banned4Lf, you may be correct about this as there are a number of consumers that own HD-DVD hardware and media... BUT! Sony have the larger (HD optical media) market share and analysts can clearly see an upward trend in Sony's favour.

I have to agree with some others that are looking outside the square... What about downloads? I am concerned that although blu-ray is leading the market, is it enough to stay afloat (as a movie format) with all the downloads so readily available on the net? When DVD hit the market, piracy and movie downloads were a minor concern. These days it is an entirely different market.

I know the PS3 is a big plus in securing blu-ray's position in the market. When we look at it from a realistic point of view. Even from the early stages when the studio support was about even, Sony had the PS3 and the games placing blu-ray hardware and discs out into the market. So really it was... HD-DVD (stand alone players and movies only) vs. blu-ray (stand alone players, movies, PS3's and games). I think this was a very smart move for Sony and from this point of view, I had a feeling Sony would win this format war from the start.

I really don't want my statement to trigger any more flame wars. Please remember this is a good news article for Sony. If you want to let off some steam and give Sony a bashing, then go do it in the HD-DVD forum.

Anyway, we really should stop turning every thread regarding blu-ray or HD-DVD into a flame war. Let's stick to topic and be happy when either party make advances.

1226.1.2008 6:16
nobrainer
Inactive

@ BobL

the newly released sony bdp-s300 has not been updated and is also profile 1.0 stuck. Its a case of them offloading all their incompatible outdated stock.


HDMI, the Manchurian DRM - a Broadcast Flag dormant until 2010

Originally posted by link:
This is a classic Manchurian Candidate strategy. These devices behave like normal gear until the studios pull the trigger, then they turn on you. The studios talk a big game about wanting to operate in a free market, but then you get stuff like this: back-room deals, restraint of trade, and attempts to subvert the market by fooling customers into buying crippled kit.

@Ryu77

i dislike all companies that are anti consumer, and sony is one of the worst with their anti consumer tactics and propertarian lockins, they bring it on themselves i'm afraid.

the MPAA/RIAA is what is causing incompatibilities will all hardware now because of trying to close the analogue hole, and they are trying to lock down ALL media so profits have to be shared with these Maffia gatekeepers.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Jan 2008 @ 6:23

1326.1.2008 10:44

Sometimes I think there are people on this forum who wear those tin foil hats that block RF waves...

1426.1.2008 11:33
atomicxl
Inactive

If this doesn't mean that blu-ray players that can play the features of the format are $200 or less, its useless imo.

Originally posted by sciascia:
Sometimes I think there are people on this forum who wear those tin foil hats that block RF waves...
They do. They also unplug their routers at night because its a little known fact that since your brain is made of of nerves, which send data via electricity, all the gov needs to hack into your sleep is for you to be near any electric device.

"Why do my eyes hurt?"
"Because you've never used them before"

RIAA = Recorded Incantations of the Audio Antichrist
MPAA = Mobile Producers of Artistic Abolishment.
FCC = Forced Citizen Conclave

The tech is already in all wireless networking equipment. The FCC has put it there under the guise of setting standards.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Jan 2008 @ 11:45

1526.1.2008 14:38

Meh good for sony get the prices to the people and everythign will fall into place, can't wait till the "community" makes it a technology everyone can enjoy ^_~

1626.1.2008 21:18

lol@atomicxl

Originally posted by Morpheus:
The Matrix is a system Neo... and that system is our enemy!


"Great minds discuss ideas... Average minds discuss events... Small minds discuss people"

PS3 compatible video creation thread... mkv2vob, tsMuxeR etc.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809
The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

1727.1.2008 11:09

Originally posted by banned4Lf:
Originally posted by c1c:
So if you can't play BD-R on your bluray player then it will be impossible to create backups of your expensive movies to play on your player. That stinks...

"Backups"..........HE HE HE...........that's kinda funny.
Well I dont want my kids playing around with the animated Blurays that cost $30 so it would be nice to have backups if the original gets ruined. But then again arent BD-R's like $25 a piece, might as well buy the movie again.


1827.1.2008 15:41

GOOD! Now put it in PS3!!

1928.1.2008 10:05

Quote:
Anyway, we really should stop turning every thread regarding blu-ray or HD-DVD into a flame war. Let's stick to topic and be happy when either party make advances.

Well said Ryu, well said. I hate reading pages and pages of flaming all over a simple article.

The format war is good for consumers. It keeps the companies trying to make technological advances, to one-up the competition. And it helps to keep cost down for us lowly paying peoples.

Agree with Ryu, be happy when they make advances for US the consumers.

2028.1.2008 11:10
banned4Lf
Inactive

Quote:
Nobrainer is a Sony hater. I'm sorry if this upsets you nobrainer but I have seen many of your posts. Whilst there are some facts to what you say, it is very clear that you are against Sony. It wouldn't hurt you to see things in a positive light every now and then.

Originally posted by banned4Lf:
Whatever!!! Keep diluting yourself into the "Next format" idea. Both are here for good..............or at least for tens of years and dual format players will be the absolute standard. If you don't believe or disagree....................well then...............poor you. It's so common that people set themselves up for a let down.
banned4Lf, you may be correct about this as there are a number of consumers that own HD-DVD hardware and media... BUT! Sony have the larger (HD optical media) market share and analysts can clearly see an upward trend in Sony's favour.

I have to agree with some others that are looking outside the square... What about downloads? I am concerned that although blu-ray is leading the market, is it enough to stay afloat (as a movie format) with all the downloads so readily available on the net? When DVD hit the market, piracy and movie downloads were a minor concern. These days it is an entirely different market.

I know the PS3 is a big plus in securing blu-ray's position in the market. When we look at it from a realistic point of view. Even from the early stages when the studio support was about even, Sony had the PS3 and the games placing blu-ray hardware and discs out into the market. So really it was... HD-DVD (stand alone players and movies only) vs. blu-ray (stand alone players, movies, PS3's and games). I think this was a very smart move for Sony and from this point of view, I had a feeling Sony would win this format war from the start.

I really don't want my statement to trigger any more flame wars. Please remember this is a good news article for Sony. If you want to let off some steam and give Sony a bashing, then go do it in the HD-DVD forum.

Anyway, we really should stop turning every thread regarding blu-ray or HD-DVD into a flame war. Let's stick to topic and be happy when either party make advances.

Agreeeeeeeed!!!!!!!


No sense in a 'war' anymore. We can thank LG and Samsung (I believe) for the innovation of 'dual format' players. As I stated before in another post, it's nothing like the Beta/VHS issue. Technology has turned the tide on that happening again simply by not having to stretch physical tape across two different heads and needing one physical player to house two different cassette tapes (beta and VHS tapes). Now it's simply one physical laser (or two but who cares) that can adjust based on the media it is reading from or writing to. This all made possible because we are living in a 'digitally INTELLIGENT' age.

There is NO DOUBT that Blu-ray is the monster success of the two. There was never any doubt that it would be prevalent........except by the poor souls who dilute themselves and set themselves up for a let down. This was made clear once Sony created a format that could house data up to 50GB and HD-DVD only like 15-20. That's different now but it doesn't change that Sony brought it first.

In a nutshell.........business is business, money is money and companies and technology don't just "fold" because one is doing better than the other. Look at PS3.......XBox smooooooked it off the start and smokes it NOW. Now, I am a Playstation fan and used to be DIE FRAKKIN' HARD Playstation fan, but facts are facts. The shading and lighting are superior on XBox 360 games and I now wayyyyy prefer the controller of XBox 360 over PS. ---------------Off topic here but PS3 is still in the game even though XBox is doing significantly better in sales.

HD-DVD still has 30(ish) percent of market. That's enough to make a buck and they are truly more innovative than BD has been so far. Not to mention all the hundreds of thousands of HD-DVD discs ALREADY sold and made, as well as players.............SORRY HD-DVD-haters.........both are here to stay so get ready to buy media in BOTH formats for a loooooong time.


DONE!

2128.1.2008 12:13

banned4Lf, I don't want to seem like I am attacking what you are saying but you really need to consider the XBOX 360's extra time on the market. Of course they have sold more because it was released earlier.

XBOX 360: November 22 2005 in the USA and Canada, December 2 2005 in Europe, and December 10 2005 in Japan.

PS3: November 11 2006 in Japan, November 17 2006 in North America, and March 23 2007 in Europe and Oceania.

There's a 12 - 16 month difference there.

The PS3 has higher specs in edit: almost every department. I know XBOX 360 fans wont agree and I don't expect them too. Give the PS3 another year or so and then let's see how the market looks... ;-)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Jan 2008 @ 12:41

"Great minds discuss ideas... Average minds discuss events... Small minds discuss people"

PS3 compatible video creation thread... mkv2vob, tsMuxeR etc.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809
The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

2228.1.2008 12:22

Originally posted by Ryu77:
banned4Lf, I don't want to seem like I am attacking what you are saying but you really need to consider the XBOX 360's extra time on the market. Of course they have sold more because it was released earlier.

The PS3 has higher specs in every department. I know XBOX 360 fans wont agree and I don't expect them too. Give the PS3 another year and then let's see how the market looks... ;-)
Not quite, plus the optimization issues of the PS3 make it a beast to code for.

PS3 is a better movie player, has more solid hardware but when you get down to it theres lil diffrances in current graphics since the code is halving the power of the PS3.

Also the 360 has 2 things over the PS3 it has more effficant hardware in terms of bandwidth its able to push more data and not have to bottleneck altho once the optimizations are in place the PS3 can be as much as twice as fast.

Another issue is disc speed the 360 loads data faster, there are some things they ca do with this but again in time it will be better while the 360...well...wont age gracefully.....

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

2328.1.2008 12:28

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Another issue is disc speed the 360 loads data faster, there are some things they ca do with this but again in time it will be better while the 360...well...wont age gracefully.....
Zippy, you don't think that the fact that the PS3 is loading blu-ray media vs regular DVD on the 360 has anything to do with it?

"Great minds discuss ideas... Average minds discuss events... Small minds discuss people"

PS3 compatible video creation thread... mkv2vob, tsMuxeR etc.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809
The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

2428.1.2008 12:38

Originally posted by Ryu77:
Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Another issue is disc speed the 360 loads data faster, there are some things they ca do with this but again in time it will be better while the 360...well...wont age gracefully.....
Zippy, you don't think that the fact that the PS3 is loading blu-ray media vs regular DVD on the 360 has anything to do with it?
2X BR is slower than 12X DVD, so the data rate is slower ergo it loads slower (with some new loading tricks this issue is waning but tis still a issue),would really like sony to go ahead and build a elite version with a nice 4X BR drive that with more polished hardware BWC that would so be worth 500-600.

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

2528.1.2008 12:50

Zippy, I just checked your links. They are absolutely hilarious! LMAO!!!!

I especially liked this one... http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles...Console-Rundown

I should post that link every time I see a console flame war in these forums! We need to see more things in a positive light here. :-D

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Jan 2008 @ 20:51

"Great minds discuss ideas... Average minds discuss events... Small minds discuss people"

PS3 compatible video creation thread... mkv2vob, tsMuxeR etc.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809
The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

2628.1.2008 12:56

Originally posted by Ryu77:
Zippy, I just checked your links. They are absolutely hilarious! LMAO!!!!

I expecially liked this one... http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles...Console-Rundown

I should post that link every time I see a console flame war in these forums! We need to see more things in a positive light here. :-D
Ya MS should start selling microwaves :P

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

2729.1.2008 11:26

I think this is a good example of where competition (vis HD DVD) is a good thing. Most likely this advancement will be followed by cheaper Blue Ray players. Without competition, this advancement would simply allow the manufacturers to put more money in their pockets.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Jan 2008 @ 11:27

2819.2.2008 19:43

Now that we have this from sony that shrinks the lase all we need is programs like DVDFab and DVD Shrink to take care of the important part in all this :)

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive