Italian police seize pirate CDs, DVDs and burners in raid

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 24 Mar 2008 20:03 User comments (9)

Italian police seize pirate CDs, DVDs and burners in raid The Fiscal Police in Catania (GdF) raided an organization involved in the production and distribution of pirate CDs and DVDs in Catania, East Sicily, early in March. The operation led to the seizure of 63 high speed CD burners more than 15,000 illegal CDs and DVDs, in addition to seven professional printers. Two individuals were arrested during the raid.
In the past couple of years, there has been quite a lot of anti-piracy news from Italy. In November 2007, Four people were questioned on suspicion of illegally uploading music on the Internet following a raid near Milan. Six computers, seven external hard discs and more than 2,300 CDs were seized.

The Discotequezone DirectConnect (DC) file sharing hub was also shut down by Italian police in October 2007. A total of 11 computers and more than 110,000 illegal MP3 music files were seized in the operation which was carried out between Rome, Milan and Brescia.

However, last month, news out of Italy showed that the Italian parliament may have accidentally legalized some P2P music.

124.3.2008 20:12
tripplite

my home country...so corrupt!

224.3.2008 23:36

Originally posted by tripplite:
my home country...so corrupt!

But the "Godfather" is from there!

324.3.2008 23:54
cousinkix

In Sicily, the homeland of the La Cosa Nostra. It sounds like the old mafia is into a new business...

425.3.2008 6:08

into a new business ? lol - you must be joking - they have been doing it since cd burners began . However in this case, it was probably just a local teenager as the Mafia insiders on the Police force would have tipped the Mafia off if they were targetting mafia operations.

525.3.2008 6:17

shame on you slysoft! this is in part ur faul!!!

625.3.2008 8:29

I'm willing to bet until the bust, they were probably making a pretty decent little living for themselves.

I think, just my opinion here, that downloading is one thing while downloading with intent to make money from is another.

Not all pirates are bad? ;-)

725.3.2008 13:12

Not all pirates are bad? ;-)
I agree. To download a song is one thing, but to try to make money off of it is another. I don't really want to support the RIAA, but selling their product, to me, crosses the line.
On the other hand, I feel like the RIAA is stealing from me to charge that much for a CD, which is usually not very good anyway. If they would charge $5 a CD, the probably wouldn't have as many of these "piracy issues".

825.3.2008 21:10

Sounds like a mom and pop rig that did'nt pay the mafia "protection", so they got busted.Another police photo-op.

930.3.2008 15:37
RNR1995

Originally posted by jove:
shame on you slysoft! this is in part ur faul!!!
Why is it Slysoft's fault?
DON'T SELL THINGS YOU DO NOT OWN!
Simple
Life is simple, everything you needed to know about life you should of learned by kindergarten