AfterDawn: Tech news

360 still outselling PS3 in the UK despite GTA IV

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 29 May 2008 18:56 User comments (51)

360 still outselling PS3 in the UK despite GTA IV According to data from Chart-Track, sales of the Xbox 360 are over 18 percent ahead of the PlayStation 3 in UK sales since the launch of GTA IV.
After the first month of sales of the game it has also become clear that the Xbox 360 is the clear format of choice for gamers in the UK. 57 percent of total game sales for GTA IV were for the 360 compared to 43 percent for the PS3.

Chart-Track also added that sales for the game in the UK are at about 1.3 million for the first month of sales, meaning about 750,000 of those copies were sold for the 360.

It seems the game has had a a huge effect on hardware sales as well. For the four weeks after the launch, compared to the four weeks before, 360 sales have jumped 47 percent compared to a lowly 8 percent on the PS3.


Previous Next  

51 user comments

129.5.2008 19:22

Another biased article not even bothering state the facts.....

"However, taking all 21 weeks of 2008 into account, sales of PlayStation 3 in the UK are 10 per cent ahead of Xbox 360. Prior to the launch of GTA IV, the PS3 boasted a 20 per cent lead on 360."

Source According to data from Chart-Track

229.5.2008 19:27

360 still outselling ps3 in the uk despite gta4?

this tells me that the xbox dont have gta4 and that it still managed to outsell the ps3 (not the best title)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 May 2008 @ 19:29

329.5.2008 19:58

Quote:
After the first month of sales of the game it has also become clear that the Xbox 360 is the clear format of choice for gamers in the UK
eeee.....at what ages exactly?

Quote:
360 sales have jumped 47 percent compared to a lowly 8 percent on the PS3.
That 360 costs half the money that the 40gb PS3, they dont mention it.
That the Elite version(less staff,same money with 40gb) is selling worst than the extincted PS1, they dont mention this either.

This article reminds me some car commercials, that say:[e.x.]
"Cor$a is the best car of the year, for 2xxx."
That the same year Pagani released Zonda...... is just a detail.

429.5.2008 21:29

this may be true, but people and developers just haven't realized the potential of PS3 as a gaming platform.

the other day i was at a customers house. he had hdtv a dvd-player and a PS3. I'm not supposed to but i did, i asked him what games he plays, he looked at me kinda stupid. then he realized i meant the ps3. he went on to say he just has it for BR player.

it still needs time, but i believe the PS3 as a gaming machine will collapse on itself. making it a blue-ray player only with a few game titles titles.

think dreamcast, game support was limited but it made one hell of a digital audio player& S-VCD. same thing grander scale.

529.5.2008 21:30

They make it sound like it was a landslide.

629.5.2008 22:23

still outselling? I read here a while ago the ps3 was ahead is someone lying to me or are people just making numbers up?

Always changing, wish these reviewers would have a opinion instead of jumping on bandwagons never used to be like this people actually had a thought when I started gaming.

730.5.2008 6:44
nobrainer
Inactive

Originally posted by Stu_dent:
Another biased article not even bothering state the facts.....

"However, taking all 21 weeks of 2008 into account, sales of PlayStation 3 in the UK are 10 per cent ahead of Xbox 360. Prior to the launch of GTA IV, the PS3 boasted a 20 per cent lead on 360."

Source According to data from Chart-Track
well the thing is that the 360 has been around for a lot longer than the ps3, 2 years to be exact, so the ps3 should be constantly wiping the floor with the 360 on sales as there is already a large install base of the 360 but this data shows exactly the opposite.

what this says is that the console that was released two years prior to the UK launch of the ps3 is still outselling the "ultimate" gaming machine!

@ Tecbot

Chart-Track data is on retail units sold, where as many sources that are cherry picked to spin the data or made up of units shipped to retailers, not actual sales.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 May 2008 @ 6:50

830.5.2008 8:37

PS3 is a blue ray player with the ability to play games not the other way around. The quality of the exclusive games for the PS3 are ish and Sony's online play isn't close to XBL, for the online play alone a title like GTA will kill Sony. PS3 is a farce of a gaming console but a really good and cheap blue ray player, its undeniable fanboys.

930.5.2008 8:59
JimmyNice
Inactive

Wow... I hadn't been back in quite a while... but I popped in and the unbelievable level of Hatorade here is still piling up as ever...

I don't need to list all the things company A's done wrong... I don't need to list the things company B's done right (feel free to switch those around as suits you).

Maybe... just maybe I like the systems I've got.... for what they do... and they do it well... and my dollars go to Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Sega and hell NEC too... across 10 different game systems over the last 20 years... know what... they did the same thing back in NES vs Sega Master system back in 1987... give it a rest... enjoy the system you have and maybe... talk some positives about what you like in your system, instead of slagging on the one you don't... and hey if you have it and don't like it... I have no doubt theirs someone waiting in the wings who would love to take it off your hands.

sheesh... I'm good... see you again in 6 months.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 May 2008 @ 9:01

1030.5.2008 9:33

Here we go again....ANYONE else want some time off? Keep up the "fanboy" comments and misinformation and you will have a few days to mull it over.

All I see in this article is M$ desperately trying to spin numbers to seem as if the 360 is doing well. It is not. Their sales have absolutely stalled EVERYWHERE while their competitors sales either stabilize (Wii) or increase (PS3). With a better overall service that is FREE & upcoming upgrades/options that will just about equal any minor advantage the 360 had it is not wonder to see M$ scrambling at every turn.

The original Xbox had only a +/- 25 Million install base and the 360 will not see much more than that when it is all said and done. That will be fact, as the writing is on the wall for everyone to see even if they don't want to beleive. Especially with Sony's amazing lineup of QUALITY titles still to come (FF13, FFvs13, GT5, LBP, KZ2, R2, MS2, GoW3 & more) with all that the PS3 already offers over M$'s old console structure (PS3 w/BD, free online, upgradeable standard hard drive, WiFi, integrated web browser, Linux partition, PSP integration and more compared to the 360 with basically plain off the shelf PC parts and last gen tech for no future/forward limited thinking) it is just a matter of time...Sony has more than 20 in house devs compared to MS's 5 & DOUBLE the amount of exclusives in the works RIGHT NOW while the fate of M$'s 360 relies on 2 games, Halo (a tired non-innovative standard FPS) and Gears (a great game that will be limited to a DVD-9)....that's it. All M$ will do is just abandon the 360 in the next few years just like they did with the original Xbox and then try to fleece customers into buying another console that can't stand the test of time and offer a LASTING experience like BOTH their competitors do to give their customer a sense of worth with their spending.

And anyone who believes the PS3 will be nothing more than a "grander" Dreamcast is out of their mind. Sony's track record with their systems is nothing to be overlooked. The PS1 offered CD based gaming & audio & video (w/VCD playback available in some over seas markets), the PS2 offered CD/DVD gaming & audio/video playability with now the PS3 offering all the above PLUS HD video be it physical (BD) or digital and everything I mentioned earlier. Sony have said the PS3 is in it for the long run with an estimated 10 years product life just as they did with the PS2 which was estimated at about 6-7 but is still going after 8!

Some people will undoubtedly reply with "big bad Sony is out to get you" type of comments but the REAL truth is undeniable that they have ALWAYS offered MUCH MORE of a product (Hardware & Software wise) to their customers. That my friends is fact based on current and past generations of the Playstation line. Whereas M$ cannot say that since day one they where a thieving idea stealing company and EVERY iteration of Windows just compounds the issue, save some graces ~ Win 2000 & XP ;P funny thing is I don't see those same people who talk about Sony being the "bad" company saying the same about M$...real funny huh?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 May 2008 @ 9:51

1130.5.2008 9:57

^ well said.

Originally posted by oner:
....thing is I don't see those same people who talk about Sony being the "bad" company saying the same about M$...real funny huh?
a proof.
Has anyone noticed how much quite was this thread?
No Spring dashboard update coming, says Microsoft

Just 8 comments.

1230.5.2008 11:00

Ohhhhh Oner just ended it rite there. Nicely said and couldnt agree more.

1330.5.2008 11:18

There is no denying that there is a lot of convincing evidence that many games available to PS3 and X360 look very similar. Some to the point that it makes little difference. I personally have a PS2, and had it for years. I bought a Wii to play with the Mrs. while I wait for more 'greatest hits' to come out for PS3 (yes i can be cheap!) I have considered going to X360, HOWEVER long term surely Sony has the advantage for longevity? where is the original XBOX? its Dead Dave....their all Dead! Gotta still love my PS2 while i wait!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 May 2008 @ 11:19

1430.5.2008 11:40
varnull
Inactive

We found other uses for our old and dirt cheap xbox. Best media player/tv browser-pc you will find anywhere for £20.

So far I haven't seen anything in this gen of consoles that inspires me to fork out my hard earned cash. GTA4.. it's ok, but I still prefer GTA3 for the darkness of the story and the control.

Now about this war... sony have managed to make some serious enemies, and they deserve them with their anti-consumer tactics. In a world where governments represented the people who employ them instead of being bought off by these billion dollar corporations neither M$ or $ony would have a cat in hells chance of seeing their goods on shelves.

tendo afaik have always played reasonably fair with their customers, and the overall success of the wii shows just that. they can put out a game at £29, and classics from £9.99 to £22 (been in asda today looking at the empty space where the blu movies used to be.. now it's full of maxell, philips and tdk d/l dvd+r's.. swapping one heap of crap for another.. classy!!)... why can't the others.. oh yeah... greed!

BTW.. they were clearancing philips upscaling 1080i and p dvd players for £29 WITH a hdmi cable included.. If you live near an asda and are in the market for an upscaling dvd player it may be worth a visit.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 May 2008 @ 11:41

1530.5.2008 12:36

I'm just gonna throw in here that I got a PS3 a few weeks ago, and here's why I got one of those instead of an xbox360. First I looked at the strengths of the PS3 and the weaknesses of the xbox360 and came up with the conclusion that the ps3 was a better choice for me.

When I look at the 3 consoles out there, I see PS3 vs Xbox360, and then there's the Wii out there all by itself. I already bought a wii, there's really no comparison for it here between the ps3 and 360.

Anyways, the pros I saw with the PS3 vs 360 were:
*HD-DVD is dead, PS3 has a blu-ray player, I have an HDTV, so now I also have a hd video player.
*Gran Turismo is gonna be on the PS3
*Since online play is free, even though it costs more than the 360 initially, in the long run it's cheaper.

I can't think of any cons for the PS3 for my purposes, and I also can't think of any pros for the 360 over the ps3 for me. Anyways, the cons I had against the 360:
*Xbox live is crap. I had an original xbox with live and yeah, it's neat how everyone has a mic, but it also sucks because it's just a bunch of trash talkers anyway. I'd rather just play for free without the voice and PS3 lets me do that.
*Red Ring of Death. I remember the DRE problem with the PS2's, looks like RROD is this generations problem. I'd rather not deal with that crap.

Ok, well I guess the one and only game I'd look forward to on the 360 was Fable 2, but I'm not sure if that's even a 360 exclusive or if it's coming out on PC. I never really cared too much for Halo. It's a great console FPS, but I'm a PC FPS type guy.

1630.5.2008 12:47

offtopic

Originally posted by varnull:
sony have managed to make some serious enemies,

A Great success, makes great enemies.

Originally posted by varnull:
with their anti-consumer tactics.
Now really, with 100% friendly attitude.
Can you explain that? Can you be more specific?

1730.5.2008 12:54

IMO this shows the that the 360 with the larger install base is having trouble keeping up and will be drowned in the coming waves caused y the PS3.

The PS3 has more potinail than the easy break oven currently has.

1830.5.2008 12:57

wow..where's the Xbox fanboys now to counter Oner!

1930.5.2008 13:03

Originally posted by bdoggie08:
wow..where's the Xbox fanboys now to counter Oner!
As far as I can see the 360 has more intrested devs than the PS3, the PS3 has price issues to deal with however the 360 has aged hardware and still a insane fail rate, if the 360 goes through a major overhaul and I mean gets a BR drive and fixes the fail rates as well as dose something about the HDD locks, it would be a whole new ball game if MS dose not raise the price of it.

2030.5.2008 13:37

...still silence from the M$ Glee Club :P

2130.5.2008 13:52

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Originally posted by bdoggie08:
wow..where's the Xbox fanboys now to counter Oner!
As far as I can see the 360 has more intrested devs than the PS3, the PS3 has price issues to deal with however the 360 has aged hardware and still a insane fail rate, if the 360 goes through a major overhaul and I mean gets a BR drive and fixes the fail rates as well as dose something about the HDD locks, it would be a whole new ball game if MS dose not raise the price of it.
Hey Zippy, one thing you can count on is the 360 will never have a BD drive inside (for gaming definitively) as that would ostracize all the current owners (though weirder crap has happened?). As for more devs of interest in the 360 that could well may be but what really matters in gaming is top devs not weak 3rd party companies that come out with shovel ware to only pad their pockets and not offer anything to the purchasers of said wares.

2230.5.2008 14:00

Originally posted by varnull:
We found other uses for our old and dirt cheap xbox. Best media player/tv browser-pc you will find anywhere for £20.

So far I haven't seen anything in this gen of consoles that inspires me to fork out my hard earned cash. GTA4.. it's ok, but I still prefer GTA3 for the darkness of the story and the control.
While I don't use my Xbox as much as I used to I do agree with it being a great media center, BUT since I have the PS3 to PC connectivity it has taken over the spot of media center for now. I have been at it with GTA4 for the past week now and I have to say while at first it peaked my attention I am REALLY struggling with the rest of the game keeping me intrigued. It has lost alot from previous titles and hasn't gained much in terms of innovativeness & graphics since it was held back for it being limited to a DVD9 for the 360 with no standard hard drive across all their revisions. I am actually going to try and dump this game soon, which is funny as I keep all my games beaten or not. They are going to have to REALLY come out strong when the next GTA series comes out...by that time the PS3 install base should be enough to warrant exclusivity, then we could actually see a true next gen experience of GTA with the graphics and space available because of BD.

2330.5.2008 14:02

what i want to know, is how many sales of the 360 were due to RROD and banning of pir8ed systems?

2430.5.2008 14:03

Originally posted by Oner:
Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Originally posted by bdoggie08:
wow..where's the Xbox fanboys now to counter Oner!
As far as I can see the 360 has more intrested devs than the PS3, the PS3 has price issues to deal with however the 360 has aged hardware and still a insane fail rate, if the 360 goes through a major overhaul and I mean gets a BR drive and fixes the fail rates as well as dose something about the HDD locks, it would be a whole new ball game if MS dose not raise the price of it.
Hey Zippy, one thing you can count on is the 360 will never have a BD drive inside (for gaming definitively) as that would ostracize all the current owners (though weirder crap has happened?). As for more devs of interest in the 360 that could well may be but what really matters in gaming is top devs not weak 3rd party companies that come out with shovel ware to only pad their pockets and not offer anything to the purchasers of said wares.

Now now the media industry works on the ehre and now and future possbilites, while its true 360 BR games would be impossible even as a special ed for 2 years but think about it like this if they use the BR enabled units to fill in the broken ones in 2 years they could have 3-5 milloin BR enabled units out thats enough to let the pubs decide if they want to make a BR game SE or not, and frankly I think a SE version thats slightly enhanced would help push unit sales as well, MS is apt at spending millions on stunts like this but their foresight is 30/70, I think its a possibility if they put games before the hardware but with all the issues the 360 has I doubt they can.

speaking of GTA4 dose it not have frame rate issues on the PS3?


BTW thanks for the hard work(moderation) you mods put up wif a lot o'crap you guys need to be praised more for staying sane ^^
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 May 2008 @ 14:05

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

2530.5.2008 14:06

Originally posted by shaffaaf:
what i want to know, is how many sales of the 360 were due to RROD and banning of pir8ed systems?
just knock off 20-30% of 360 sales its that simple.

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

2630.5.2008 15:20

if a blue ray drive comes out for xbox 360 i would fall out of my chair.

it will never happen,Microsoft isn't the type of group that summits to a competitors Technology.

i will admit the PS3 has longevity, doesn't change the fact that people see the PS3 not as A gaming machine, but as a cheap blue-ray player. unless this changes it could very well lead to the dismissal of the ps3 gaming capability all together.

(@Oner) i loved the dreamcast, in no way did it fail as a gaming machine, bad marketing caused it to fail. To say it could compete with gamecube is no understatement.

If it helps you to understand, i was simply relating to the marketing of both the DC And PS3, the ps3 had some very bad marketing idea's witch may make a hard-road for the Gaming concept of ps3 to take effect.

2730.5.2008 18:27

xbox360 is better than ps3.

2830.5.2008 18:32

Originally posted by Unknown4:
xbox360 is better than ps3.
CLAPS HAND IN AMAZEMENT OF ARGURMENT


this quote = [/thread]


xD

2930.5.2008 19:19

Originally posted by Unknown4:
xbox360 is better than ps3.

...Good one, you know ur sh*t. Guess everybody in this thread according to you is wrong...right?

3030.5.2008 19:21

Originally posted by Unknown4:
xbox360 is better than ps3.

ya if every 3 out of10 boxs didn't burst into flames....and the HDD ws nto locked...and......and..... the PS3 is better but not by 200$.....

3130.5.2008 19:59

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
speaking of GTA4 dose it not have frame rate issues on the PS3?

BTW thanks for the hard work(moderation) you mods put up wif a lot o'crap you guys need to be praised more for staying sane ^^

No frame rate issues to be seen here. As for the compliment it really is greatly appreciated though not everyone would agree, especially when you have to deal with some of the paranoid types that think every business is out to get them or when we have to deal with ones who think we don't see or have access to reported offenses based towards US the mods....but that is another discussion and one that will hopefully fix itself. Nonetheless, Thank You (from me) as the appreciation of what we do makes it a bit easier to deal with the VERY few that try to get under our skin on a daily basis.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 May 2008 @ 20:01

3230.5.2008 20:28

Originally posted by Oner:
Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
speaking of GTA4 dose it not have frame rate issues on the PS3?

BTW thanks for the hard work(moderation) you mods put up wif a lot o'crap you guys need to be praised more for staying sane ^^

No frame rate issues to be seen here. As for the compliment it really is greatly appreciated though not everyone would agree, especially when you have to deal with some of the paranoid types that think every business is out to get them or when we have to deal with ones who think we don't see or have access to reported offenses based towards US the mods....but that is another discussion and one that will hopefully fix itself. Nonetheless, Thank You (from me) as the appreciation of what we do makes it a bit easier to deal with the VERY few that try to get under our skin on a daily basis.
So it plays solidly? no code optimization issues of note just some bugs they are working on presay?

Nice to see the PS3 maturing well code wise, that will be its greatest hurdle..
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 May 2008 @ 20:40

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

3330.5.2008 20:40

Onar, your right man there out to get me Sony man. like the other day i was walking and wham right on a bus was a Sony advertisement. there coming to get me..................

Ignore the above statements nobody was out to get him we just...wanted to talk.

This message was edited by Sony Corporation of America

3431.5.2008 20:42

UK PS3 sales beating 360 by 10% in 2008

According to data obtained by Chart Track, Sony Corp’s PlayStation 3 outsold Microsoft’s competing Xbox 360 console in the UK by 10 per cent during the first 21 weeks of 2008.

The UK-based sales tracker further added that the Xbox 360 has seen a spike in sales following the release of Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto IV, with Chart Track’s Dorion Bloch noting, “360 has caught up thanks to the GTA IV effect.”

Elsewhere, Block revealed that GTA IV has sold a total of 1.35 million units in the UK since its launch on April 29, with the Xbox 360 version accounting for 769,500 sales, and the PS3 release shifting 580,500.

As readers may remember, Sony Europe's David Reeves recently claimed that the PS3 is now comfortably outpacing the 360 in Europe, with the launch of Konami’s forthcoming Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots expected to drive further PS3 adoption when it hits stores on June 12.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option...=10701&Itemid=2


Somebody not telling the truth..........?

3531.5.2008 21:17

Originally posted by NexGen76:
UK PS3 sales beating 360 by 10% in 2008

According to data obtained by Chart Track, Sony Corp’s PlayStation 3 outsold Microsoft’s competing Xbox 360 console in the UK by 10 per cent during the first 21 weeks of 2008.

The UK-based sales tracker further added that the Xbox 360 has seen a spike in sales following the release of Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto IV, with Chart Track’s Dorion Bloch noting, “360 has caught up thanks to the GTA IV effect.”

Elsewhere, Block revealed that GTA IV has sold a total of 1.35 million units in the UK since its launch on April 29, with the Xbox 360 version accounting for 769,500 sales, and the PS3 release shifting 580,500.

As readers may remember, Sony Europe's David Reeves recently claimed that the PS3 is now comfortably outpacing the 360 in Europe, with the launch of Konami’s forthcoming Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots expected to drive further PS3 adoption when it hits stores on June 12.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option...=10701&Itemid=2


Somebody not telling the truth..........?
if you read into it the PS3 has sold better than the 360 but the 360 has sold the most in the last month or so but the PS3 has pretty much passed them on total units sold.

361.6.2008 0:16

Isn't that just total units sold this year that PS3 is ahead and not total just in Europe? I was under the impression that PS3 is far behind Wii and Xbox360 when we are talking actualTOTAL SALES.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Jun 2008 @ 0:28

371.6.2008 0:30

Originally posted by lxhotboy:
Isn't that just total units sold this year that PS3 is ahead? I was under the impression that PS3 is far behind Wii and Xbox360 in total sales since they launched.
From what i understand PS3 has out sold 360 in total unit sold in UK but is 9 million or so from 360 in the U.S. which is the heart of 360 sells.But Wii is killing both systems in total units sold.It only took Wii 8 months to pass 360 in worldwide total units sold even with 360 having a years head start.It wont be long before PS3 catch 360 in the U.S..PS3 has already beat 360 in two(UK& Japan) of the three major markets.


383.6.2008 22:01

i dont know why everyone has to hype the argument up to such a high level because if we pick out a few key points from some people on here we have a very clear argument of why the ps3 and the xbox 360 are in a deadlock because if you want to feel complete, you need both, the ps3 as said due to bad marketing and serious serious (and i mean serious) lack of games, (and dont pull the its been out longer crap) is not going to be the next gen gaming console, im afraid the torch was passed to MS with the original xbox and it will stay with them until sony realises that people want to have fun playing GAMES hence the name games console, cue nintendo, which are spanking butt with sales becuase they have seen the right market i.e family (a kid has to force his parents to get the console but if like my mum they want one aswell its a hell of allot easier a sale) appart from that fact im sure 80% if not more of homes the world over dont even have tv and audio set ups to take advantage of the ps3's spec. however if you are a serious gamer then you wouldnt mind paying 40 quid a year to play some seriously amazing titles over xbox live, not to mention of the three top online titles 2 are available exclusive to the 360 (GOW, HALO3 + COD4) we have to all see the light and realise that no person will be happy till they have all three really, so until microsoft sort out their parts, nintendo stop being crazy japanese people (not likely) and sony decide to actually make their so called games console a games console and not a cheap blu ray player its safe to say its a tough choice but im gonna stay with my 360 which i have enjoyed many a title on for the last 3 years. although if i did have the money i would go out buy a HD projector a 5.1 surround and a ps3 and plumb the lot in together but that aint gonna happen till i win the lottery tommorow night ;)

393.6.2008 22:41

Dbl cheese burger still outselling Soft taco in the US despite Kernal sander's 20 piece bucket.


Why? cause deep down there's a cheap fat American in us all.

404.6.2008 0:00

Originally posted by JayTee66:
i dont know why everyone has to hype the argument up to such a high level because if we pick out a few key points from some people on here we have a very clear argument of why the ps3 and the xbox 360 are in a deadlock because if you want to feel complete, you need both, the ps3 as said due to bad marketing and serious serious (and i mean serious) lack of games, (and dont pull the its been out longer crap) is not going to be the next gen gaming console, im afraid the torch was passed to MS with the original xbox and it will stay with them until sony realises that people want to have fun playing GAMES hence the name games console, cue nintendo, which are spanking butt with sales becuase they have seen the right market i.e family (a kid has to force his parents to get the console but if like my mum they want one aswell its a hell of allot easier a sale) appart from that fact im sure 80% if not more of homes the world over dont even have tv and audio set ups to take advantage of the ps3's spec. however if you are a serious gamer then you wouldnt mind paying 40 quid a year to play some seriously amazing titles over xbox live, not to mention of the three top online titles 2 are available exclusive to the 360 (GOW, HALO3 + COD4) we have to all see the light and realise that no person will be happy till they have all three really, so until microsoft sort out their parts, nintendo stop being crazy japanese people (not likely) and sony decide to actually make their so called games console a games console and not a cheap blu ray player its safe to say its a tough choice but im gonna stay with my 360 which i have enjoyed many a title on for the last 3 years. although if i did have the money i would go out buy a HD projector a 5.1 surround and a ps3 and plumb the lot in together but that aint gonna happen till i win the lottery tommorow night ;)
Can't agree more the WII is a whack job with a loli fetish , the 360 is missing body parts and the PS3 needs to remember its a games machine and not a media player that doubles as a hive mind super computer.

414.6.2008 1:20

Ok opinion from an average joe that don't care about the stats, DRM, and all that other mombo jombo stuff
The PS3 is a supior system, especially with the Blu-ray feature,but...
at what cost.... The PS3 is way more expensive, most americans live paycheck to paycheck. And for all the features of the PS3 to be truly enjoyed one would need to get a new TV, which means a new TV stand, along with the purchase of the PS3.
The PS3 is a system that looked towards the future, a bonus in some ways but a drawback in others.
The 360 takes advantage of the technology out now, not tomorrow. And is way more affordable then the PS3. It also had a earlier release date, and almost anybody should agree that the best advertisement is word of mouth. So news travels fast, or snot nosed spoiled rich kids played the 360 at a friends house, got jealus and cried to mommy and daddy "I want I want"
Personally I own a 360, why cause I liked the games on the xbox better than on the ps2. By no means am I a fanboy, because I reconise that the PS3 is better, but buying gas, food, shelter, and the essentails of life dont allow me to buy a PS3, then a TV, then a this and a that true fully enjoy it. So I'll enjoy my 360 till there are some price drops or I get some bigger commision checks

424.6.2008 1:24

Originally posted by lawndog:
Ok opinion from an average joe that don't care about the stats, DRM, and all that other mombo jombo stuff
The PS3 is a supior system, especially with the Blu-ray feature,but...
at what cost.... The PS3 is way more expensive, most americans live paycheck to paycheck. And for all the features of the PS3 to be truly enjoyed one would need to get a new TV, which means a new TV stand, along with the purchase of the PS3.
The PS3 is a system that looked towards the future, a bonus in some ways but a drawback in others.
The 360 takes advantage of the technology out now, not tomorrow. And is way more affordable then the PS3. It also had a earlier release date, and almost anybody should agree that the best advertisement is word of mouth. So news travels fast, or snot nosed spoiled rich kids played the 360 at a friends house, got jealus and cried to mommy and daddy "I want I want"
Personally I own a 360, why cause I liked the games on the xbox better than on the ps2. By no means am I a fanboy, because I reconise that the PS3 is better, but buying gas, food, shelter, and the essentails of life dont allow me to buy a PS3, then a TV, then a this and a that true fully enjoy it. So I'll enjoy my 360 till there are some price drops or I get some bigger commision checks
If the 360 was not a easy break oven it might be worth the investment.... sofar for me all the new consoles are 100+ to much.

434.6.2008 10:54

"Personally I own a 360, why cause I liked the games on the xbox better than on the ps2. By no means am I a fanboy, because I reconise that the PS3 is better, but buying gas, food, shelter, and the essentails of life dont allow me to buy a PS3, then a TV, then a this and a that true fully enjoy it. So I'll enjoy my 360 till there are some price drops or I get some bigger commision checks"

Why is it when I walk in the store, I see that the 360 is just about as expensive as the PS3? I saw 360 prices like $420 dollars, so don't tell me that you have a hard time affording your Xbox 360. Stop that BS about Not bein able to afford it. You obviously are a fanboy bein since that's the only negative that you can so happen to say. Think of another, then post something, this excuse is lame.

444.6.2008 12:34

bdoggie08, how do you figure I am a fanboy, I did nothing but admit that PS3 was a supior system. And on the being able to afford it issue, if you notice I stated I would get when I had enough money or a good commision, well, gee, do you think when I got my 360 I might have gotten a commission check and the PS3 wasn't available yet?? Especially being that when I talked about it I said I like the games on 360 better then the PS2 "2" not 3. In case you don't know when you are a commision based employee, the base pay sucks and you get your "fun money" when you sell stuff.
I'm still baffled by how you can call me a fanboy, because had I not told you I had a 360 you would have thought I was a PS3 fanboy with as much praise as I gave it, although I did bash the price, thats the only negative I had for it, while there were alot more positive things I had for it.

454.6.2008 12:53

oh no's here wii's go again, let the flame wars begin.

464.6.2008 12:54

Originally posted by lawndog:
bdoggie08, how do you figure I am a fanboy, I did nothing but admit that PS3 was a supior system. And on the being able to afford it issue, if you notice I stated I would get when I had enough money or a good commision, well, gee, do you think when I got my 360 I might have gotten a commission check and the PS3 wasn't available yet?? ...
, although I did bash the price, thats the only negative I had for it, while there were alot more positive things I had for it.
Yea, i apologize for that comment, it was wrong of me to call you that, just upsets me when people complain about the prices of systems, if you want to save money, buy a Wii. 360 and PS3 are roughly the same price based on my findings when i go to the store.

474.6.2008 13:05

Whew, for a second there i thought i saw a moderator unleashing the ban hammer in Epic perportions.

for now we are safe.

484.6.2008 13:10

Originally posted by DXR88:
Whew, for a second there i thought i saw a moderator unleashing the ban hammer in Epic perportions.

for now we are safe.
And you had what constructive input to the thread? Boy I enjoyed reading the insightful information you provided. Thanks dude.

494.6.2008 13:18

anytime,man. anytime.

504.6.2008 14:10

bdoggie08 thanks for the apologee. whats funny is my next post was gonna be me bowing out of the topic, i thought it was getting a little to "heated" and i for one didnt feel like getting spanked by a mod. been a couple hundred post and havent gotten spanked yet.
and after saying that i'm gonna go run and hide in my corner before a mod finds me :)

514.6.2008 17:19

Originally posted by lawndog:
bdoggie08 thanks for the apologee. whats funny is my next post was gonna be me bowing out of the topic, i thought it was getting a little to "heated" and i for one didnt feel like getting spanked by a mod. been a couple hundred post and havent gotten spanked yet.
and after saying that i'm gonna go run and hide in my corner before a mod finds me :)

Don't forget to think happy thoughts.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive