AfterDawn: Tech news

AfterDawn redesign aka "v4" goes live

Written by Petteri Pyyny (Google+) @ 16 Mar 2010 9:17 User comments (97)

AfterDawn redesign aka "v4" goes live After almost a year's worth of development, we're happy to reveal the new version of our site, dubbed as "v4". Many things have changed since the previous version - most notably the layout itself, but also the code behind the site has went through some major changes.
From now on, all of our various language versions will use the same codebase and same site structure, making further development much, much easier than in the past. Furthermore, launching new language editions of the site will become a breeze compared to the old system where each site was basically a clone of its siblings, but maintained independently.

As always with major upgrades, we are expecting to see weird problems to pop up -- and hope that you'll let us know if you encounter a bug or weird behaviour while browsing through the site. You can contact us by either posting a comment to this news article or by using our feedback form.

Now, let us know your comments about the new design.

-Team AfterDawn

Previous Next  

97 user comments

116.3.2010 9:42

YAY!!!!!!

216.3.2010 9:57

where did the list of the threads you post in go?
not sure about this one???

316.3.2010 10:01

Originally posted by cincyrob:
where did the list of the threads you post in go?
not sure about this one???
The same place where they were in v3..


416.3.2010 10:03

Originally posted by cincyrob:
where did the list of the threads you post in go?
not sure about this one???
Settings/List your forum post


drnit ninjaed by DRD!!

DRD
Webmaster? BAH!!! Forum GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! *worship worship*
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Mar 2010 @ 10:04

516.3.2010 10:05

ok i see you have to go into settings now to find it, instead of haven the link on the main page.. ok.. just gonna take some getting use to..the overall layout is cool. nice and wide open so to say. and brighter...is there themes to chose from? lol

edit:
list forum post to the right is what i was really looking for. is there a way to show only my/your post instead of all post???

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Mar 2010 @ 10:07

616.3.2010 10:10

Originally posted by cincyrob:
ok i see you have to go into settings now to find it, instead of haven the link on the main page.. ok.. just gonna take some getting use to..the overall layout is cool. nice and wide open so to say. and brighter...is there themes to chose from? lol

edit:
list forum post to the right is what i was really looking for. is there a way to show only my/your post instead of all post???

EErrrrrr?
List of discussion threads you've subscribed to

List of software items you wish to receive update alerts for


716.3.2010 10:11

The NEW look will take a little while getting used to, was able to get around Version 3 O.K., had a look at V4 when it was included on V3, so it is not as daunting as it would have been for me.

816.3.2010 10:35

I love it yup

916.3.2010 10:56

Finally! I can see the entire page without having to scroll back and forth on my 486.

1016.3.2010 11:00

where did the quote a person button go? do you have to click on the quote code then just copy the quote into it now? the person your quoted wont have their name in the quote like before??

how do you subscribe to a thread? dont see that link either?

sorry to be such a pain in the rump, but im lost here???

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Mar 2010 @ 11:01

1116.3.2010 11:02

Originally posted by cincyrob:
where did the quote a person button go? do you have to click on the quote code then just copy the quote into it now? the person your quoted wont have their name in the quote like before??
Click the blue "Reply" button at the bottom of each message, does the same thing.


1216.3.2010 11:04

Quote:
If you wish to subscribe to the thread again, please visit the corresponding thread and click on the "Subscribe to this thread" link
i dont see this anywhere?

1316.3.2010 11:04

Originally posted by cincyrob:
where did the quote a person button go? do you have to click on the quote code then just copy the quote into it now? the person your quoted wont have their name in the quote like before??

how do you subscribe to a thread? dont see that link either?

sorry to be such a pain in the rump, but im lost here???
Quote seems to be the default behaviour if you click reply on the relevant person's post ie i just clicked reply on your post and it auto-quoted you.

As to subscribing to threads, for normal ie non-News threads it's easy, however for News articles it looks like you have to go the forum list and access the News area in Forum mode ie here ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/33 - (that's if you want to subscribe to an article and not actually reply at that time).
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Mar 2010 @ 11:05

1416.3.2010 11:06

Originally posted by dRD:

Click the blue "Reply" button at the bottom of each message, does the same thing.


ok cool that answers that..lol once again im not trying to be a AZZ. just learning..

1516.3.2010 11:10

Originally posted by cincyrob:
ok cool that answers that..lol once again im not trying to be a AZZ. just learning..
No probs. Tons of things have changed and its understandable that people have questions. I would have addressed them in the original news article, but just didn't have time at that point (had to fix handful of things that caused the site to crash).

Petteri Pyyny (pyyny@twitter)
Webmaster
http://AfterDawn.com/

1616.3.2010 11:12

Originally posted by creaky:

As to subscribing to threads, for normal ie non-News threads it's easy, however for News articles it looks like you have to go the forum list and access the News area in Forum mode ie here ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/33 - (that's if you want to subscribe to an article and not actually reply at that time).
eve clicking the link you just posted i dont see any where to click on subscribe to the thread? even inside the thread after posting i cant find it??? im trying to subscribe to the building thread again cause its not in the list of my subscriptions and i cant seem to get to it??

1716.3.2010 11:15

It's there :), the only downside is you get 2 email notifications for each reply to News articles, one from the 'forum' side of things, the other from the News side of things, you'll see what i mean when you receive 2 of them.

ie it's like the old v3 site layout, see the 2 different links for the two areas, News ~

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cf...ka_v4_goes_live

and 'forum' News ~

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/841779


Just as long as the replies from the first type of link come thru with the correct post in my notifications (in the v3 layout you'd always be taken to the wrong replies from the email notifications) :)

I've always used the 'forum' News links area as i rarely reply to most News articles i want to subscribe to.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Mar 2010 @ 11:20



Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

1816.3.2010 11:20

Originally posted by cincyrob:
Originally posted by creaky:

As to subscribing to threads, for normal ie non-News threads it's easy, however for News articles it looks like you have to go the forum list and access the News area in Forum mode ie here ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/33 - (that's if you want to subscribe to an article and not actually reply at that time).
eve clicking the link you just posted i dont see any where to click on subscribe to the thread? even inside the thread after posting i cant find it??? im trying to subscribe to the building thread again cause its not in the list of my subscriptions and i cant seem to get to it??
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zippydsmlee/AD-one002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zippydsmlee/AD-one.jpg

1916.3.2010 11:26

thats just getting notification of a post. im wanting to subscribe to the thread. it isnt showing up in my list of threads i subscribe too.

2016.3.2010 11:28

Originally posted by cincyrob:
thats just getting notification of a post. im wanting to subscribe to the thread. it isnt showing up in my list of threads i subscribe too.
It is the same thing. The list of threads you subscribe to, is cached and updated once an hour.

2116.3.2010 11:29

Originally posted by cincyrob:
thats just getting notification of a post. im wanting to subscribe to the thread. it isnt showing up in my list of threads i subscribe too.
As i say if you just want to subscribe to a news article (and not reply at that time) you'll need to do it the way i stated in my last couple of replies. I'll have a look see in my own subscribed list to see what's what..



Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

2216.3.2010 11:31




think i figured it out now. the wording in that should say subscribe to this thread. once you click it, it says unsubscribe to thread..

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Mar 2010 @ 11:32

2316.3.2010 11:33

I'm impressed - the list of Subscribed threads appears instantly, and that's with both Cores running Seti@Home flat out. Very impressive as the old v3 layout would bring my machines to their knees (even the Quad Core) when trying to list the subscribed threads (i'm subscribed to almost 41,000 threads so the code that does the lookup would max out my CPU's as much as video encoding programs!), nice one Admins. I had the CPU maxxing out problem for quite some years (it used to destroy my old P4 machine at work)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Mar 2010 @ 11:35

2416.3.2010 11:56

Originally posted by creaky:
I'm impressed - the list of Subscribed threads appears instantly, and that's with both Cores running Seti@Home flat out. Very impressive as the old v3 layout would bring my machines to their knees (even the Quad Core) when trying to list the subscribed threads (i'm subscribed to almost 41,000 threads so the code that does the lookup would max out my CPU's as much as video encoding programs!), nice one Admins. I had the CPU maxxing out problem for quite some years (it used to destroy my old P4 machine at work)

Wow even I don't lurk troll that much!

2516.3.2010 12:46

Don't care for the new site. The main news column is much smaller now making it harder to read!!!!

2616.3.2010 12:49

Originally posted by nuttz565:
Don't care for the new site. The main news column is much smaller now making it harder to read!!!!
I just select news from the home page and read the articles that interest me, the main news page sucks,pictures and text take up to much room....

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

2716.3.2010 14:33

Me no like. Oh well!

2816.3.2010 15:10

For general use ie zipping thru many of the forums the new layout is much more intuitive and a lot quicker, however for moderating it's actually harder to use. So as long as people behave more and i have to moderate less, all is good :)

2916.3.2010 15:26

Is there a way to switch back to V3?


3016.3.2010 15:38

Originally posted by Mik3h:
Is there a way to switch back to V3?


Is there a way to force the media industry to make stuff using older better higher standards?

The answer is no..... and V4 is not so bad its just flashier,everything is still there..

3116.3.2010 17:32

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Originally posted by Mik3h:
Is there a way to switch back to V3?


Is there a way to force the media industry to make stuff using older better higher standards?

The answer is no..... and V4 is not so bad its just flashier,everything is still there..
I never said it wasn't, all I asked is whether you can switch back to V3.

3216.3.2010 17:39

Originally posted by Mik3h:
Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Originally posted by Mik3h:
Is there a way to switch back to V3?


Is there a way to force the media industry to make stuff using older better higher standards?

The answer is no..... and V4 is not so bad its just flashier,everything is still there..
I never said it wasn't, all I asked is whether you can switch back to V3.

Ah sowwy...*noms on own foot*

3316.3.2010 17:51

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Originally posted by nuttz565:
Don't care for the new site. The main news column is much smaller now making it harder to read!!!!
I just select news from the home page and read the articles that interest me, the main news page sucks,pictures and text take up to much room....
That's something that has been on the todo list for a while now, but hopefully we'll get around to it sooner or later. An alternative, more condense version of the news front page. Something in the lines of the front front page news tab (below the featured stuff box at the top) - just not quite that condense.

Jari Ketola
Administrator
http://www.AfterDawn.com

3416.3.2010 17:54

Originally posted by cincyrob:



think i figured it out now. the wording in that should say subscribe to this thread. once you click it, it says unsubscribe to thread..
I knew instantly what you meant - too bad I didn't have the time to visit this thread before now. =)

I think I'm responsible for the wording in the button. I thought it would be more understandable to new visitors. Didn't really occur to me that long time visitors would be looking for the word "subscribe" instead. Got to re-think it, I guess.

Jari Ketola
Administrator
http://www.AfterDawn.com

3516.3.2010 17:55

Congrats on launching the new format. A fresh look and further functionality are both welcome things from time to time.

Now onto my question; how does one go about posting in another user's shoutbox. Perhaps i simply overlooked something but was unable to determine how this is done via the new format.

3616.3.2010 17:58

Nice job, looks pretty damn good.

3716.3.2010 18:08

it is nice, but the wasted space has got to go.


Powered By

3816.3.2010 18:17

Originally posted by 7thsinger:
Now onto my question; how does one go about posting in another user's shoutbox. Perhaps i simply overlooked something but was unable to determine how this is done via the new format.
That's a very good question. I couldn't figure that one out myself either. Got to report and check that. =)

3916.3.2010 18:31
Intugo
Inactive

There's a bug with the code tag I think, the text goes out of borders.

Example:


-
This text here, yes THIS text, will go OOB (Out of border) and it will reach all the way over --------------------------------------------> -_- <-------------------------


4016.3.2010 18:36

Originally posted by Intugo:
There's a bug with the code tag I think, the text goes out of borders.

Example:

This text here, yes THIS text, will go OOB (Out of border) and it will reach all the way over --------------------------------------------> -_- <-------------------------


 nope it did the same thing in v3 only it streched ypor screen out All the way over there and is the general reason the Code command is frowned upon by ADers 



Powered By

4116.3.2010 20:54

Sweeeeeet!

4216.3.2010 22:32

AWESOME!
No loading time between news/home/etc. . .

props

4316.3.2010 23:07

If it is faster, I don't see it...seems to be a lot slower here, and it keeps crashing firefox. Can't even test with IE8, as the forward-to-a-virus advertising is still in full effect.

4417.3.2010 1:07

It look's Great.....Congratulation to all of you guys and happy new era.

I just wake up and it seems to bright and shiny here.....is there some others themes to choose from ?

4517.3.2010 2:32

wow cool!

4617.3.2010 2:49

Too skinny...many people's "3-line limit" on signatures (which often were so long that they looked like 5-6 lines before the change) are now gonna look up to 10 lines long.

4717.3.2010 4:19

Originally posted by Mik3h:
Is there a way to switch back to V3?
C'mon, why go back to the previous version, when we could go back to the Good Old Times instead?-) Seriously speaking, humanity opposes change -- but without change, our site would still look like the screenshot I posted. Each and every major layout change has sparked complaints during the past 11 years we've run this site. And hey, we kept the "v3" for almost 7 years -- in Internet time, that is something like 250 years or so :-)

Originally posted by Mrguss:
I just wake up and it seems to bright and shiny here.....is there some others themes to choose from ?
Nope. We used to have a "skin" option years and years ago, but in the end, customization options meant tons of administrative work, but only a handful of people ever used those options. Thus, we rather spend our resources on developing new features and improving existing ones than adding features that are rarely - if ever - used.

Originally posted by Intugo:
There's a bug with the code tag I think, the text goes out of borders.
That's a known issue that has been there since v3. We have a solution in the pipelines to tackle that though.

Originally posted by DXR88:
it is nice, but the wasted space has got to go.
This issue was discussed in detail back in February when the beta version of v4 went live. Fixed width makes the site easier to read , now that we're in an era where there isn't any "standard" screen size anymore. There is a good reason why newspapers and magazines are split into columns - and have been for centuries :-)

I'd also like to stress that the launch of the new layout is just the "Step 1" in our long term development plan. We have tons of interesting stuff in the pipelines, but switching from the old v3 to v4 was necessary to carry out before those changes, as it eases our development _so_ much due more logical site structure, "each section stands alone as its own entity" thinking and due the new translation engine where each and every piece of text you see on the site comes from an unified translation database.

Thus, stepping into "v4 era" will also mean that you'll see new features and improvements added much, much faster to the site than what has been possible in the past.

4817.3.2010 4:35

For the last few years I have read more than I post due to the fact that I do most of my recreational internetting at work and my company's internet filter would not allow me to login or post to the threads I read. This new format must employ a different script because I am currently at work and posting this.
I give myself a week or 2 to bump up to addict status LOL!!!


4917.3.2010 4:38

Can't seem to ban anonymous users ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-33/i...841616/#5075543




Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

5017.3.2010 4:40

Originally posted by creaky:
Can't seem to ban anonymous users ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-33/i...841616/#5075543
Yep, that's simply impossible. But then again, anonymous posting is allowed only via news commentary -- and those posts go through AKismet spam blocker, thus the amount of "actual spam" should stay quite low. Blocking spammers based on their IP addresses is like fighting against the windmills...

Petteri Pyyny (pyyny@twitter)
Webmaster
http://AfterDawn.com/

5117.3.2010 6:17

Strange - seems really slow to me and I got a warning from my security software that the page was trying to redirect me to a scam hacking site in India and my PC was being attacked !!! ( This only happened during attempting to open this page for the first time )
Oh yeah feedback - I don't like it at all but then that's just my opinion. Too many wide empty spaces and a bit kiddy graphics like.

5217.3.2010 6:53

Originally posted by Deadrum33:
For the last few years I have read more than I post due to the fact that I do most of my recreational internetting at work and my company's internet filter would not allow me to login or post to the threads I read. This new format must employ a different script because I am currently at work and posting this.
I give myself a week or 2 to bump up to addict status LOL!!!
That's good to hear. =) There's a couple of different ways for logging in in the new version, so blocking the old login system doesn't prohibit logging in at v4.

Originally posted by domie:
Strange - seems really slow to me and I got a warning from my security software that the page was trying to redirect me to a scam hacking site in India and my PC was being attacked !!! ( This only happened during attempting to open this page for the first time )
Oh yeah feedback - I don't like it at all but then that's just my opinion. Too many wide empty spaces and a bit kiddy graphics like.
This issue is being discussed over here. Hopefully we can find the source of the malware ads soon!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Mar 2010 @ 6:55

Jari Ketola
Administrator
http://www.AfterDawn.com

5317.3.2010 8:55

Im loving the look it also seems faster nice job guys.

5417.3.2010 9:27

Originally posted by Ketola:
Originally posted by 7thsinger:
Now onto my question; how does one go about posting in another user's shoutbox. Perhaps i simply overlooked something but was unable to determine how this is done via the new format.
That's a very good question. I couldn't figure that one out myself either. Got to report and check that. =)

Thank you. I appreciate you looking into it.

Originally posted by Deadrum33:
I give myself a week or 2 to bump up to addict status LOL!!!
lol...we're timing you bro. ;)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Mar 2010 @ 9:30


5517.3.2010 9:48
evnflow
Inactive

still love the older(darker) version..but i'll get used to it..appreciate all the hard work you all put into it,.

5617.3.2010 9:49

Originally posted by Intugo:
There's a bug with the code tag I think, the text goes out of borders.

Example:

-
This text here, yes THIS text, will go OOB (Out of border) and it will reach all the way over --------------------------------------------> -_- <-------------------------


Fixed. Thanks for telling us about the bug :-)

5717.3.2010 9:58

I just wish people would stop using 'code' for quoting text, imho they should just use 'quote' instead, maybe 'code' can be removed ?, is it even necessary ?

5817.3.2010 11:46

Another interesting little bug i found is that when i go into my settings then access my PM's the rest of the page is in Finnish.



5917.3.2010 13:35

Originally posted by 7thsinger:
Another interesting little bug i found is that when i go into my settings then access my PM's the rest of the page is in Finnish.
Nah, that's not a bug, we just try to persuade people to adopt Finnish as the universally understood language, nothing more. Luckily we have Nokia and Linux to assist us -- slowly, year by year, Nokia's GUI will have more and more words in Finnish, until everybody in the world knows that "Osoitekirja" means "Address book", etc. But hey, that's highly classified info -- and the time is not ripe yet, so I'll ask guys to change the page into English (for now..).

Petteri Pyyny (pyyny@twitter)
Webmaster
http://AfterDawn.com/

6017.3.2010 14:53

Originally posted by creaky:
I just wish people would stop using 'code' for quoting text, imho they should just use 'quote' instead, maybe 'code' can be removed ?, is it even necessary ?
i agree, but im sure it exists for a reason.


6117.3.2010 15:02

Originally posted by dRD:
This issue was discussed in detail back in February when the beta version of v4 went live. Fixed width makes the site easier to read , now that we're in an era where there isn't any "standard" screen size anymore. There is a good reason why newspapers and magazines are split into columns - and have been for centuries :-)

I'd also like to stress that the launch of the new layout is just the "Step 1" in our long term development plan. We have tons of interesting stuff in the pipelines, but switching from the old v3 to v4 was necessary to carry out before those changes, as it eases our development _so_ much due more logical site structure, "each section stands alone as its own entity" thinking and due the new translation engine where each and every piece of text you see on the site comes from an unified translation database.

Thus, stepping into "v4 era" will also mean that you'll see new features and improvements added much, much faster to the site than what has been possible in the past.
i hope so. added features also mean more overhead, so don't crazy with them yah know. @1680x1050 the borders are quite large.

6217.3.2010 15:30

Originally posted by dRD:
Originally posted by 7thsinger:
Another interesting little bug i found is that when i go into my settings then access my PM's the rest of the page is in Finnish.
Nah, that's not a bug, we just try to persuade people to adopt Finnish as the universally understood language, nothing more. Luckily we have Nokia and Linux to assist us -- slowly, year by year, Nokia's GUI will have more and more words in Finnish, until everybody in the world knows that "Osoitekirja" means "Address book", etc. But hey, that's highly classified info -- and the time is not ripe yet, so I'll ask guys to change the page into English (for now..).
Well, now that you've explained it i see where you're heading. But you need to know: Me engliss iz not so goods so i may havee problums wiff anouther languag.

Thanks dRD. I appreciate you stalling the Finnish language take-over...at least for our PM's. :-)


6317.3.2010 22:26
llongtheD
Inactive

The flash ads block some posts making them unreadable. I think I'm still partial to the old site design, will take some getting used to. Please fix the flash ads showing up twice and blocking some posts.

6417.3.2010 23:16

Originally posted by dRD:
There is a good reason why newspapers and magazines are split into columns - and have been for centuries :-)
So AD is moving into the future by holding on to CENTURIES of the past???

6518.3.2010 8:47

Originally posted by llongtheD:
The flash ads block some posts making them unreadable. I think I'm still partial to the old site design, will take some getting used to. Please fix the flash ads showing up twice and blocking some posts.
Providing a screenshot of such ads would probably be beneficial to finding which particular ads are at fault.


6618.3.2010 10:11

Originally posted by xnonsuchx:
Originally posted by dRD:
There is a good reason why newspapers and magazines are split into columns - and have been for centuries :-)
So AD is moving into the future by holding on to CENTURIES of the past???
Well.. Yes. We are also sticking to the Latin alphabet even though it's thousands of years old. We did think about switching to KLI pIqaD, but quite few seem to have it installed.

The point: sometimes there's a good reason for sticking to old customs. Google around for readability and usability and you'll run into some mighty interesting stuff. =)

Jari Ketola
Administrator
http://www.AfterDawn.com

6718.3.2010 23:42

Had some concerns about page width but all has been explained by dRD via email... Otherwise the rest of the re-design is tight. Feels much more modern, considering the basic mechanics and layout hadn't changed at all since I joined 4 years ago.

Also, I noticed the flash ad banners as well. Frequently showing up in duplicates or in the wrong place. ctrl+F5 fixes them though.

Quote:
We did think about switching to KLI pIqaD, but quite few seem to have it installed.
LOL if there's a Klingon version available I'm game XD
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Mar 2010 @ 23:49

6819.3.2010 8:46

Originally posted by Estuansis:
Also, I noticed the flash ad banners as well. Frequently showing up in duplicates or in the wrong place. ctrl+F5 fixes them though.
If possible, please take a screenshot of the problem and we'll forward to the appropriate ad network. Where exactly do the mis-placed Flash advertisements appear?

Jari Ketola
Administrator
http://www.AfterDawn.com

6919.3.2010 17:11
MOON786
Unverified new user

HI THERE BOSS
I HAVE EUROVOX EX1100 USB I HAVE BEEN TRING TO UPDATE SINCE LAST THREE WEEKS BUT IN VAIN
IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME
THANK YOU IN ANTICIPATION

7019.3.2010 17:18

MOON786, try posting in the correct forum as this has nothing to do with the news & also off topic which is a forum rule no no.

7119.3.2010 20:14

Originally posted by Ketola:
Originally posted by Estuansis:
Also, I noticed the flash ad banners as well. Frequently showing up in duplicates or in the wrong place. ctrl+F5 fixes them though.
If possible, please take a screenshot of the problem and we'll forward to the appropriate ad network. Where exactly do the mis-placed Flash advertisements appear?
Currently a Nissan ad. Right below the the log-in box at the top of the page. Sometimes another one will render directly below it, blocking out the text.

7220.3.2010 19:27

Originally posted by Ketola:
Originally posted by 7thsinger:
Now onto my question; how does one go about posting in another user's shoutbox. Perhaps i simply overlooked something but was unable to determine how this is done via the new format.
That's a very good question. I couldn't figure that one out myself either. Got to report and check that. =)

I see this has been handled. Thank you. ;)


7320.3.2010 21:38

Great improvement. i love the new site v4 great JOB keeep it up!!

7421.3.2010 10:54

I have found a bug.

If you try to click on the green "good response" vote button on an answer you wrote yourself, you receive a message saying :

"The page at http://www.afterdawn.com says :

Unspecified Error"



7522.3.2010 2:33

Great big uh oh. What happened to the ability to edit and delete comments from your shoutbox or those you posted in someone else's shoutbox on their profile page. This is very very bad that it's gone now. Neither I nor the person I sent the comment to can delete it and it was only meant to be temporary. Especially since you have no way of prescreening comments on your shoutbox and we both have seen random people put things in the past that we didn't want to stay there, or in this case, wanted something to be on only temporarily. He's ready to take down his whole page over this not being an option anymore. And wait-- how come I can edit this here but not on those pages? no fair.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Mar 2010 @ 2:35

762.4.2010 18:08

I think this is annoying. Can we fix the ads? The over block sometimes 5 threads and you cannot read them. IE8


7714.4.2010 5:41

Originally posted by dsstrlght:
Great big uh oh. What happened to the ability to edit and delete comments from your shoutbox or those you posted in someone else's shoutbox on their profile page.
The ability to post, edit and delete shoutbox messages was missing from v4. This has been now fixed. Please let us know if you are still having difficulties editing the shoutbox messages.

Jari Ketola
Administrator
http://www.AfterDawn.com

7815.4.2010 8:28

Originally posted by dRD:
Originally posted by creaky:
Can't seem to ban anonymous users ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-33/i...841616/#5075543
Yep, that's simply impossible. But then again, anonymous posting is allowed only via news commentary -- and those posts go through AKismet spam blocker, thus the amount of "actual spam" should stay quite low. Blocking spammers based on their IP addresses is like fighting against the windmills...
Just found a spammer in a News article, as can't ban user have edited post for now ~ http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cf...comment-5106693 (poster in preceding post #6 needs removing also)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Apr 2010 @ 8:29



Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

7915.4.2010 13:11

drd, that is not true as anonymous posting is also done in tech support as i have deleted a few spammer posts from there. we mods can not do a search for posters who have not signed up but can spam those 2 forums to their hearts delight. do you want to go thru all the threads in those 2 forums to manually edit/delete those posts as that will be time consuming for whoever does it & it won't be us mods. get rid of anonymous posting as it will only cause headaches for you guys.

8015.4.2010 18:13

Originally posted by ddp:
drd, that is not true as anonymous posting is also done in tech support as i have deleted a few spammer posts from there. we mods can not do a search for posters who have not signed up but can spam those 2 forums to their hearts delight. do you want to go thru all the threads in those 2 forums to manually edit/delete those posts as that will be time consuming for whoever does it & it won't be us mods. get rid of anonymous posting as it will only cause headaches for you guys.
100% agree on this one. Anonymous posting is only going to get worse. Since the launch of aD v4 there is a clear increase in spam that I'm sure ALL aD'ers would rather not deal with, see etc. at the least change it some how to limit it's effects...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Apr 2010 @ 18:14

8116.4.2010 0:04

LOL a meeting of the mods :P

No seriously, zero spam is one of the reasons I remain AD faithful. We have a lot of great mods and I know they put up with enough BS in a given day. Anonymous posting doesn't do anything for the site, it only makes things harder for the mods, admins, and so on up the chain.

Also there doesn't seem to be much of a stop gap for spammers or to control troublesome posters. Without an account to ban, a single person basically has free run to say and do what he wants. I'm aware there is a spam blocker in place, but that doesn't stop trolls.

In short, anonymous posting is good in theory, but anyone even vaguely familiar with the ways of the interweb will know better ;P

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Apr 2010 @ 0:05



AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 4GHz(20 x 200) 1.5v 3000NB 2000HT, Corsair Hydro H110 w/ 4 x 140mm 1500RPM fans Push/Pull, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5, 8GB(2 x 4GB) G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 @ 1600MHz CL9 1.55v, Gigabyte GTX760 OC 4GB(1170/1700), Corsair 750HX
Detailed PC Specs: http://my.afterdawn.com/estuansis/blog_entry.cfm/11388

8217.4.2010 5:56

Another spammer that needs banning as we Mods can't do it ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/846823/5107624

I have to say, i agree with the other Mods, this unverified new user idea is definitely not my cup of tea either.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Apr 2010 @ 5:56



Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

8318.4.2010 7:13

Interesting how aKismet isn't apparently able to catch the spam when it comes in large volumes. I'll think about alternative solutions, such as adding reCaptcha to anon commentors -- or to simply turn the anon commenting off.

Any "ban this user" is impossible, as the spam comes from botnets, thus every post comes from different IP address.

8418.4.2010 7:47

Yeah some sort of Captcha image would be a good stop-gap at least.

8518.4.2010 16:00

Originally posted by dRD:
Interesting how aKismet isn't apparently able to catch the spam when it comes in large volumes. I'll think about alternative solutions, such as adding reCaptcha to anon commentors -- or to simply turn the anon commenting off.

Any "ban this user" is impossible, as the spam comes from botnets, thus every post comes from different IP address.
Hi there:

On the Spam side....

A Report sign beside the Reply sign is a good idea like many Video Chat Web-sites; where members help the Moderator to ID the offender fast and take action or maybe not.
After hit Report a pop-up window will open to select the report reason:
1.-This is SPAM
2.-Offensive behavior
3.-Inaccurate comment or out-topic
4.-This is XXX....or wherever
5.-etc, etc.

With the Report Key the bad guys go out of business as fast as they arrive.

Hope this help.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Apr 2010 @ 16:37

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

8618.4.2010 16:50

Originally posted by Mrguss:
A Report sign beside the Reply sign is a good idea like many Video Chat Web-sites; where members help the Moderator to ID the offender fast and take action or maybe not.
Actually there already is a report button - it's at the top right corner of each message. Maybe it's not the most obvious placement - perhaps a link next to the reply button would be better?

Jari Ketola
Administrator
http://www.AfterDawn.com

8718.4.2010 17:09

The only trouble is, is that reporting the unverified new users doesn't achieve anything as we can't get rid of them :) ..




Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

8818.4.2010 17:54

i agree with creaky on the unverified new users. pain in the ass.

8918.4.2010 23:04
zstar04
Inactive

spam edited by ddp

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Apr 2010 @ 23:11

9018.4.2010 23:07

Originally posted by Ketola:
Originally posted by dsstrlght:
Great big uh oh. What happened to the ability to edit and delete comments from your shoutbox or those you posted in someone else's shoutbox on their profile page.
The ability to post, edit and delete shoutbox messages was missing from v4. This has been now fixed. Please let us know if you are still having difficulties editing the shoutbox messages.
Ohhh thank you thank you thank you!

9119.4.2010 1:35

Quote:
spam edited by ddp
LOLOLOLOLMFAO!!!!!! Case in point!!! That one could be controlled. An unverified user with the same post could simply reload the page and post it again.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Apr 2010 @ 1:37



AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 4GHz(20 x 200) 1.5v 3000NB 2000HT, Corsair Hydro H110 w/ 4 x 140mm 1500RPM fans Push/Pull, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5, 8GB(2 x 4GB) G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 @ 1600MHz CL9 1.55v, Gigabyte GTX760 OC 4GB(1170/1700), Corsair 750HX
Detailed PC Specs: http://my.afterdawn.com/estuansis/blog_entry.cfm/11388

9219.4.2010 3:59

Originally posted by Ketola:
Originally posted by Mrguss:
A Report sign beside the Reply sign is a good idea like many Video Chat Web-sites; where members help the Moderator to ID the offender fast and take action or maybe not.
Actually there already is a report button - it's at the top right corner of each message. Maybe it's not the most obvious placement - perhaps a link next to the reply button would be better?
Ok....Is nice to know that the sign ! is for report post....It seems ok, but many (all around the world members) do not know what it is for and so many not even use it.

A more bigger sign that read Report or even the ! sign after the Reply sign to the right is the best spot for it., could help you guys a lot on this issue. and also to make things more simple when the pop-up window open we should have options to choose from to make everything more fast and accurate for you to act in stead of read others people explanations.

I would like to add.
Most of the members do not post all the time. But they read others people comments. It will be very nice if we have a Rate this comments sign with arrows or thumbs signs up or down to choose from. With a ( + # or - # of people rating). A 5 Star Comment rate sign.
With out people posting we can choose sides, and you and us can see the traffic and make the comment more interactive.

Example: ....and scroll down to comments:
http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/04/18/...ns-in-europe%2F


I am not try to be picky just ideas I see on others Web-sites.

Hope this help.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Apr 2010 @ 6:41

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

9320.4.2010 11:30

And so it begins here.

I knew it was just a matter of time when someone of immense diminished mental capacity and outstanding immaturity would bring fanboy posts/rants to a whole new low with this uncontrollable/anonymous posting. This is a prime example of why aD was different than almost EVERY other site out there ~ the minimal issues of fanboy posting and the way we dealt/kept it at bay.

Now after all that hard work it's starting to slip away....


9420.4.2010 12:27

Originally posted by Oner:
And so it begins here.

I knew it was just a matter of time when someone of immense diminished mental capacity and outstanding immaturity would bring fanboy posts/rants to a whole new low with this uncontrollable/anonymous posting. This is a prime example of why aD was different than almost EVERY other site out there ~ the minimal issues of fanboy posting and the way we dealt/kept it at bay.

Now after all that hard work it's starting to slip away....
Just make creaky a admin he will chew them up and spite them out. ^_~

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

9520.4.2010 12:35

Naw, it wouldn't be my cup of tea anyway. The place certainly is a bit quieter than usual lately, i only seem to have to get rid of spammers, most of the forums i frequent seem to be on siesta at the mo so doing my rounds doesn't take too long.




Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

9620.4.2010 12:42

Originally posted by creaky:
Naw, it wouldn't be my cup of tea anyway. The place certainly is a bit quieter than usual lately, i only seem to have to get rid of spammers, most of the forums i frequent seem to be on siesta at the mo so doing my rounds doesn't take too long.
Even a forum god gets board with throwing lighting bolts all day long. Enjoy your rest good sir. ^_~

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

9720.4.2010 16:01

i deleted that post.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive