Apple confirms dropping of support for iPhone 2G

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 13 Apr 2010 20:29 User comments (12)

Apple confirms dropping of support for iPhone 2G Last week, Apple showed off the upcoming iPhone OS 4.0, which includes multitasking, notable UI improvements, a social gaming network, and the opening of the iAd mobile advertising network.
Notably missing from the supported hardware list for iPhone OS 4.0? The original iPhone 2G.

Macstories is reporting that CEO Steve Jobs has confirmed this fact, responding to an email asking about future support with the blunt answer: "Sorry, no."

In addition to dropping support for the iPhone 2G completely, first and second generation iPod Touches, as well as iPhone 3G (missing the 'S') will not be able to work new features of the 4.0 OS, including multitasking.

Pic of the email exchange:

113.4.2010 20:32

I lol'd.

213.4.2010 20:34
cdxanti

that's total bs. its only been like 2 years.

313.4.2010 21:12

thats a lesson for all the fanboys that jumped too soon into buying the good old Igone(iphone)

413.4.2010 22:28

This and other factors is why I will probably never buy a asspole product. They are making new features unavailable to older (2 yrs big whoop) models. That way if you want any of the new features you have to buy the new one. That way indirectly forcing you to buy the new version.

514.4.2010 0:40

They r still selling the 3g...wtf!
They r also still selling the refurb'd 2g!

I bet they drop support for the ipad just as fast...not that anyone uses an ipad for more than the first day anyway.

614.4.2010 5:16

I thought that Crapple would have tried to sell the update for older models. Could it be that the older models have slower processers and less memory and are unable to run the software?

714.4.2010 7:42

Originally posted by Frogfart:
thats what they claim, but believe me if sony can make newer updates for its psp support the late FAT-psp (1000) dating back almost 5 years ,then surely if crapple wanted to support the older versions,they wouldve find a way to do it

814.4.2010 9:26

Originally posted by defgod:
I wasn't surprised that the 2G original was being dropped soon, but holy crap, the 3G was the killer phone and likely the largest installed base. Wow, the really want to tee off their customers!

I have a 3G and am completely disappointed by this. Looks like I may finally jailbreak my phone to get these features. Ridiculous that hackers can get these features running, but Apple is too lazy, or just blatantly trying to get you to upgrade to the new model.

914.4.2010 12:13

Originally posted by SProdigy:
Originally posted by defgod:

All I have to say.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Apr 2010 @ 12:14

1015.4.2010 14:12

Originally posted by Eeroz:
Originally posted by SProdigy:
Originally posted by defgod:

All I have to say.
I knew it was a lie on the video when steve jobs said "all features wont be on the 3G cos of hardware limitations" cos he later went on to say how clever they are, and managed to get multitasking to use no battery power and not effect performance in the slightest, so its pretty obvious they dont want people owning the 3G no more, its only a matter of time before 3G users get a message saying "app incompatible with your device", out with the old in with the new.

And im pretty sure all the jailbroken 3g iphone users around chose not to install proswitcher because of "hardware limitations!", it prob works flawlessly!!!

(just incase anyone didnt get it already proswitcher is multitasking app and it works great, I put loads of apps in the background and left em running all day and battery life was fine)

1115.4.2010 16:14

this is not fail. when i haev yo seen a phoen support 2-3 year old products? int he phone indusrty 6 months is bloody long time forget 2-3 years. good on apple i say. leav the old ARM archetcures behind and let them die. now that they have cortex A8 with the 3GS and a snapdragon cortex A8 for the next gen supposibly they can just focus on the newer more powerfull CPUs. and programs dont have to cater towards both the old and new now.

1217.4.2010 5:32

Originally posted by shaffaaf:
They are cutting off support for 2 phones that are still being sold today, both with 2-year contracts. That is why it is a fail...they are cutting off support for a product 2 years before someone can move to a good product.