Sega making Dreamcast library available on PS3, Xbox 360

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 11 Jun 2010 0:19 User comments (29)

Sega making Dreamcast library available on PS3, Xbox 360 Sega has announced its plans today to bring popular Dreamcast titles to the PlayStation Network (PSN) and the Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) this year.
The publisher says the first two games are the wildly popular Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure, with fall launch dates.

Says Haruki Satomi, vice president of digital business at Sega: "The Dreamcast is fondly remembered by a large community of dedicated fans as a console that was ahead of its time in terms of graphics, quality and online gaming. There are few things that are more requested from us than making Dreamcast classics available for download in today's digital market place. Were very excited to begin offering gamers our beloved Dreamcast titles again on the current console systems."

The Dreamcast launched on 9/9/99 and was the first console to ever offer online gameplay. Of course, trying to do anything online using a 56k modem is brutal, so the timing was off.

All the Dreamcast re-releases will include high-resolution graphics, 5.1 audio, and achievements and trophies.

Sega has 650 Dreamcast games to choose from.

111.6.2010 0:21

I can't wait for "Power Stone."

211.6.2010 2:06

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
I can't wait for "Power Stone."
Me either, I loved my dreamcast. WHY DIDNT YOU ADD CD COPYWRITE PROTECTION SEGA! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Jun 2010 @ 2:07

311.6.2010 2:51

shenmue PLEASE!

honestly games wise this is the best console to be made. it was so advanced for its time aswell.

411.6.2010 5:09

I don't miss dreamcast at all...it didn't have any good sandboxes. Personally, I thought the genesis had a better selection of games; I am still waiting for them to release the original 3 road rash's on the psn.

511.6.2010 6:09

YES i knew they'd eventually give in hopefully they put the sonic shuffle up

611.6.2010 7:22

Remake Phantasy Star online with updates graphics/quests/ an actually story

711.6.2010 12:07

Yes!!!!!!!!! And trophy support!!!!! And hd remixed!!!! Win Win Win!!!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Jun 2010 @ 12:08

811.6.2010 13:27

LOL! They're just trying to capitalize before too many people realize how they can get it for free ;) Very cool though. There are games I found quite entertaining. Rush 2049 for instance.

911.6.2010 16:24

That's awesome. Serious task to get dreamcast emulation working multiplatform though. Maybe they could release shenmue 3 that was basically done for dreamcast.

1011.6.2010 17:14
WierdName

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Flicky 'for the win'

1111.6.2010 17:15

Yeah I figured they would do this eventually. I still have my Dreamcast, but also cool to play off the PS3 when they come out.

@ Killerbug
I love the Road Rash series . That is one console I wish I would have kept.
Road Rash 2 was my favorite. I just emulate them for now when I want to play

1211.6.2010 17:47

Originally posted by ren97:
That's awesome. Serious task to get Dreamcast emulation working multiplatform though. Maybe they could release Shenmue 3 that was basically done for Dreamcast.
I think you mean Shenmue 2 which was released in Europe on the Dreamcast and in North America on the Xbox. I just sold both my Dreamcasts this year but sometimes you just have to let go of nostalgia. :(

1311.6.2010 20:32

Originally posted by ren97:
You mean like Chankast or nullDC, which will both run flawlessly on Pentium 4s? :lol

1411.6.2010 21:07

Originally posted by Chroma45:
....sometimes you just have to let go of nostalgia. :(
Never! ;)

1511.6.2010 23:12

They need Sega Saturn emulation next on these consoles... Bring me back Dragon Force, and Albert Odyssey

1611.6.2010 23:49

Originally posted by omegaman7:
If they haven't realized by now, they never will. I have 200 DC games on CD and I would still pay for HD remixes and trophy support.

Chankast was never finished. Not all games work flawlessly. I've been waiting for 4 years for it to be finished and finally gave up. Did I miss something?

1712.6.2010 0:10

Originally posted by emugamer:
Originally posted by omegaman7:

Well, while you're right that Chankast was never finished, nullDC certainly runs most DC games I've tried without any problems, as far as I have seen.

All I'm trying to say is that emulating DC isn't difficult at all. Which doesn't really matter in this case, since these games sound like full ports rather than just straight emulation.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Jun 2010 @ 0:13

1812.6.2010 3:15

chuchu rocket!!

MGR (Micro Gaming Rig) .|. Intel Q6600 @ 3.45GHz .|. Asus P35 P5K-E/WiFi .|. 4GB 1066MHz Geil Black Dragon RAM .|. Samsung F60 SSD .|. Corsair H50-1 Cooler .|. Sapphire 4870 512MB .|. Lian Li PC-A70B .|. Be Queit P7 Dark Power Pro 850W PSU .|. 24" 1920x1200 DGM (MVA Panel) .|. 24" 1920x1080 Dell (TN Panel) .|.

1912.6.2010 3:17

Originally posted by shaffaaf:
chuchu rocket!!
That sounds like an interesting game!
Entertainment for hours! LOL!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Jun 2010 @ 3:18

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!

2012.6.2010 9:27

There were some very nice shootemups too. Under Defeat, Psyvariar, Ikarauga, Border Down, Zero Gunner 2, Gunbird 2, radilgy...just fun arcade action. Currently there are only a couple of fast paced shooters on the PSN that I like. I would also love to see Jet Grind Radio in HD.

+1 for Power Stone :)

2112.6.2010 11:07

space channel 5! And part 2!

One of the first music type Simon says games

2213.6.2010 11:35

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
I can't wait for "Power Stone."
Absolutely! Good game and always liked playing it with my brothers. We were always scrambling trying to get those stones. KO!! If there's 650 games to choose from, that would be all I need to get a XBox/PS3. Best console ever made, IMHO.

2313.6.2010 21:26
lubricant

wah. the dreamcast wasnt going to last much longer back then. (thanks to ps2) play any game you want from dreamcast on a variety of hardwares, courtesy of their mistake :)

2414.6.2010 1:51

@killer bug there was a version of road rash on PS1.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

2514.6.2010 9:14

Originally posted by FatalFlow:
Originally posted by ren97:
Niether PS3 or XBOX 360 are x86.

"History cannot repeat itself if we refuese to allow it" ~veo

2615.6.2010 22:53
oracle13

WoHoo!! OOga Booga Here I come. I loved that ehing game!!

2715.6.2010 23:00
oracle13

Oh and the Japanese game "Rival Schools". Only 2D fighter I ever liked.

2817.6.2010 10:26

The problem with Sega is that they are lost as a company. No clear sense of direction and they are not listening to what their customers want. They need to go back to their roots. Classics like Outrun, Space Harrier, Power Drift and many more which made people stop in their tracks and look.

The name SEGA draws attention but their games do not have the same effect.

Sega claim making games on multiple platforms is more profitable than being solo but Nintendo has shown the world that this is not the case.

Sega still has a chance to come back by rivaling Nintendo.

2930.6.2010 14:27
Omardottcom
Unverified new user

Originally posted by shaffaaf:
shenmue PLEASE!

OMG!!!! I totally forgot about Shenmue! I LOVED that game, and I'm still waiting for part 2.... What ever happened!!! I would love it if they picked up where they left off.