AfterDawn: Tech news

Motorola Droid X is official

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 23 Jun 2010 22:49 User comments (19)

Motorola Droid X is official Verizon has officially launched the Motorola Droid X today, and the smartphone packs a punch.
The device had a 4.3-inch, 16:9 multitouch display with 854x480 resolution, a 1GHz OMAP processor, 512MB RAM, HDMI-out, DLNA support, GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and Hotspot tethering.

Additionally, the phone has an 8MP camera with 720p HD video recording, three mics, 8GB on-board memory and a 16GB microSD card and a 1570mAh battery.

Included with the phone will be video apps from Blockbuster, V CAST video, NFL Mobile, Skype, and Backup Assistant.

Apparently, the Skype Mobile app will be "deeply integrated" with the Droid X. As is now standard, the device will have Swype built-in, as well as full support for Microsoft Exchange.

Unfortunately, the device will not launch with Android 2.2 Froyo, but it is promised for the near future.

Starting July 15th, the Droid X will be available for $200 through Verizon.

Previous Next  

19 user comments

123.6.2010 23:08

Now I almost hope my droid breaks...

223.6.2010 23:52

hope its better than the droid blur sounds and looks awesome

324.6.2010 0:22

Damn 0-o still abotu 400-500 by itself with no contract so I will wait till I can get a Ipad/net book like thing that has HDMI and can do 1080 AVI/MKV,ect without issue and run for at least 5 hours while doing it..... and touch screen is a must >>

424.6.2010 2:00

why would anyone need 3 mics?!

524.6.2010 2:52

No Video call's !
No Flash yet !
......it's a NO-NO !

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2808

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Jun 2010 @ 2:59

624.6.2010 5:19

It just came out; you can't expect it to be rooted yet. I am sure we will see root very soon, and it should have the power to play most flash stuff smoothly...unlike the phone I think you are referring to with that video calls comment. As for video calls, most people don't want this...personally, I would rather have a phone that does not have this capability...that way I can say, "sorry, my phone can't do that." If I did have a front cam, I would need something that was rooted...and some kind of root app or command to completely disable the front camera.

My only real complaint on this phone is the changed keyboard; I prefer the old droid's keyboard. That, and it really isn't anything special; it is only a little better than the incredible, and it falls behind the Sprint Evo in several areas. It is better than the old droid, but that isn't saying much considering the fact that the old droid is already ancient by smart phone standards.

I sure hope that at some point, we can dump these microSD cards. They are slow, and have very limited capacity; and even at a tiny 32GB, the cards are extremely expensive. I already need an XD slot on my droid; 32GB is only a tiny fraction of my MP3 collection...I will be very upset if they are still using microSD (or even microXD) when I buy my next android.

724.6.2010 8:59

if you want your whole music collection on a single device you should check out ipod. its a phone!. u just want something to complain about huh?

824.6.2010 10:07

i like the 8gb onboard memory. the evo only has like 256 for programs. its not a bad thing. but 8gb is super big compared to 256mb for programs.

924.6.2010 11:58

The 8GB is nice...very nice. I bet it is faster than microSD memory too.

Why don't I get an iPod/Zune/creative zen/whatever:

I used to have a phone, a pocket PC, and a digital camera. It was a pain to carry all these, and I rarely carried more than two of the three...if I carried more than just the phone, that is. That is a big part of why I got a droid...now all three of these devices sit idle, as my droid does it all. I don't want another device to bring with me everywhere; I just want one small device that does everything...and even though my droid is outdated even within it's own brand, it does everything I want, even the media player...is it so much to ask that I be allowed to spend the money for a nice big XD card to hold the media that this thing is designed to use? I know there is room for a XD slot where the microSD slot is...one good engineer could make the change in a couple of days. Oh, and ignoring the fact that the customers would be happier, the 16GB card that they include would cost less if it was a full size SDHC card...it would cut production costs!

1024.6.2010 13:27

Originally posted by KillerBug:
The 8GB is nice...very nice. I bet it is faster than microSD memory too.

Why don't I get an iPod/Zune/creative zen/whatever:

I used to have a phone, a pocket PC, and a digital camera. It was a pain to carry all these, and I rarely carried more than two of the three...if I carried more than just the phone, that is. That is a big part of why I got a droid...now all three of these devices sit idle, as my droid does it all. I don't want another device to bring with me everywhere; I just want one small device that does everything...and even though my droid is outdated even within it's own brand, it does everything I want, even the media player...is it so much to ask that I be allowed to spend the money for a nice big XD card to hold the media that this thing is designed to use? I know there is room for a XD slot where the microSD slot is...one good engineer could make the change in a couple of days. Oh, and ignoring the fact that the customers would be happier, the 16GB card that they include would cost less if it was a full size SDHC card...it would cut production costs!
Cheap, large capacity xD card? Those don't exist.

1124.6.2010 16:39

Is nice, but i still stick with my Evo.

1224.6.2010 21:04

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Originally posted by KillerBug:
The 8GB is nice...very nice. I bet it is faster than microSD memory too.

Why don't I get an iPod/Zune/creative zen/whatever:

I used to have a phone, a pocket PC, and a digital camera. It was a pain to carry all these, and I rarely carried more than two of the three...if I carried more than just the phone, that is. That is a big part of why I got a droid...now all three of these devices sit idle, as my droid does it all. I don't want another device to bring with me everywhere; I just want one small device that does everything...and even though my droid is outdated even within it's own brand, it does everything I want, even the media player...is it so much to ask that I be allowed to spend the money for a nice big XD card to hold the media that this thing is designed to use? I know there is room for a XD slot where the microSD slot is...one good engineer could make the change in a couple of days. Oh, and ignoring the fact that the customers would be happier, the 16GB card that they include would cost less if it was a full size SDHC card...it would cut production costs!
Cheap, large capacity xD card? Those don't exist.
Youre absolutely right DVDBack, but I think we are starting to see phones maturing, and within the next 5 years, they may excel netbook capabilities. It's a long stretch I know, but one never knows.


1325.6.2010 0:42

An XD card slot supports SDHC...so yes...it would be cheap to put in a 16GB SDHC card rather than a 16GB microSD card.

The XD support is just a bonus for the user later, as they can choose either an affordable 32GB SDHC, or a more expensive 64GB XD...and remember that most phones have a 2-year contract, so that 64GB XD will be affordable long before the phone is out of contract. By then, we will probably see 128GB XD cards too.

1425.6.2010 20:12

Originally posted by KillerBug:
An XD card slot supports SDHC...so yes...it would be cheap to put in a 16GB SDHC card rather than a 16GB microSD card.

The XD support is just a bonus for the user later, as they can choose either an affordable 32GB SDHC, or a more expensive 64GB XD...and remember that most phones have a 2-year contract, so that 64GB XD will be affordable long before the phone is out of contract. By then, we will probably

Originally posted by KillerBug:
An XD card slot supports SDHC...so yes...it would be cheap to put in a 16GB SDHC card rather than a 16GB microSD card.

The XD support is just a bonus for the user later, as they can choose either an affordable 32GB SDHC, or a more expensive 64GB XD...and remember that most phones have a 2-year contract, so that 64GB XD will be affordable long before the phone is out of contract. By then, we will probably see 128GB XD cards too.

Um, hate to break it to you Killer, but a microSD IS smaller than an XD card, and smaller the better is what companies are rooting for these days, even it makes better sense of having XD cards. That's the reality of the situation: their looking at what saves them space and money, NOT at what saves us space and money, plain and simple.


1525.6.2010 22:57

Originally posted by Josipher:
why would anyone need 3 mics?!
Noise cancellation.

1625.6.2010 23:28

"Um, hate to break it to you Killer, but a microSD IS smaller than an XD card, and smaller the better is what companies are rooting for these days, even it makes better sense of having XD cards. That's the reality of the situation: their looking at what saves them space and money, NOT at what saves us space and money, plain and simple."

I know the size...and I have had the back cover off of my droid; there is enough room there that they could have put in a SDHC or XD slot without making the thing any bigger. The production cost difference might have been about $0.50, and they would save $4 per unit on the cheaper cards that have the same capacity and better speed. That means $3.50 more profit per unit...they lost over $3 million in potential profits on the droid within the first 60 days because they used microSD.

I know they only want to include enough features to get you to buy the phone...but when a feature will improve capabilities while cutting costs, you have to wonder why they wouldn't want to do it.

1726.6.2010 2:30

Originally posted by Mrguss:
No Video call's !
No Flash yet !
......it's a NO-NO !

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2808
Want video go with the Android EVO, want flash, it's coming with the FROYO 2.2 upgrade, has been confirmed on all fronts including ADOBE.
Gotta love it
Almost has me wondering what my PC will be used for soon??

1826.6.2010 3:49

KillerBug, I see where you're coming from with the multi-purpose device idea. I used to carry a PDA and cell phone everywhere I went, though I never had the urge to cart my digital camera along too. I say, is it too much to ask for an infrared remote control too? How about RF? I would love to replace all the pathetic remotes things come with these days with my own customizable interface and get better range too. Now that would be the true digital Swiss Army knife!

1926.6.2010 4:35

Originally posted by cart0181:
KillerBug, I see where you're coming from with the multi-purpose device idea. I used to carry a PDA and cell phone everywhere I went, though I never had the urge to cart my digital camera along too. I say, is it too much to ask for an infrared remote control too? How about RF? I would love to replace all the pathetic remotes things come with these days with my own customizable interface and get better range too. Now that would be the true digital Swiss Army knife!
Sounds good to me; the IR port is one of the few things I miss from my pocket PC. Not sure what I would do with RF; as bluetooth does essentially the same thing...but I wouldn't mind having it as an option "just in case".

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive