AfterDawn: Tech news

RIAA becomes latest target of DDoS attack

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 19 Sep 2010 22:03 User comments (23)

RIAA becomes latest target of DDoS attack Since Friday night, the group "Anonymous" has taken down multiple websites relating to anti-piracy firms, starting with the MPAA and AiPlex Software and taking down the RIAA just a few hours ago.
Dubbed "Operation Payback," the protest revolves around DDoS attacks on the firm's main sites, located at MPAA.com, MPAA.org, RIAA.com and Aiplex.com.

As of writing, all the sites listed except for MPAA.org are still down.

While the RIAA and MPAA are well known, AiPlex was not until recently when they announced they had been hired by the movie studios to take down The Pirate Bay, the world's largest public tracker.

According to tweets and other notes from the group, it appears the BPI may be the next target for the DDoS attack.

Previous Next  

23 user comments

119.9.2010 22:18

Payback is Hell.

219.9.2010 22:25

As much as I loved it when I heard this, I don't want to know how the RIAA are going to retaliate from this.

319.9.2010 23:57

Excellent.

419.9.2010 23:59

Awesome.

520.9.2010 0:59

DDoS only slows em down what we need to do is get a hold of a mainframe and spike it.


Powered By

620.9.2010 5:31

Originally posted by ROMaster2:
As much as I loved it when I heard this, I don't want to know how the RIAA are going to retaliate from this.
I understand were your coming from who knows what they may do, however the RIAA has slightly redeemed themselves do to the RIAA actually defending gamers rights when it comes to the Proposed Video Game Law that California is taking to the Supreme Court this fall.

720.9.2010 6:41

the RIAA is known for trying to take down piracy.People love piracy.the more they try to crack down on piracy the more unpopular the RIAA will become so they will be targeted by hackers and hated.


custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

820.9.2010 7:13
davidike
Inactive

two wrongs dont make a right, Aiplex should be prosecuted for DDoS'ing indexing sites, just as the USA military and other governments around the globe but the corporations own the governments & the corporations/governments are above the law.

so what option is left to the people but to rebel.

920.9.2010 9:44

"Anonymous" should drop a JDAM on the RIAA,the MPAA and all their cronies. Long live The Pirate Bay - Semper Fi!!!!!

1020.9.2010 14:24

Nice work Anonymous!


www.inebriare.com
Xbox Live: Rogue Jello - PSN: bam431 - IGN: bam431
Youtube: electrowaffle - Twitter: bam431
i5 760, P7P55D-E, Vapor-X HD5770, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD,

1120.9.2010 17:14

Well heres something although Ironic but bad, that one user who commented in this wondered what the Industry would do after this....apparently they just acted, they just put in a piece of Legislation that if approved would put the US Justice Department powers to shut all Piracy sites in the world something thats not only illegal but could if you think about it, start WW3.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/09...artment-piracy/

1220.9.2010 18:54

I don't get it. The article Tristan_2 linked says that dot.com, dot.net and dot.org sites belong to the US registry. But aren't all sites one of those. I've seen many foreign sites with those extensions. And what are they doing policing the internet for private interest?? Unless it's part of national security, the US government should not try to enforce policy on the internet. The music industry better start forking up some big money to get governments involved. And I don't mean pitching money into politicians pockets but more like to the revenue of the US.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Sep 2010 @ 18:55

1320.9.2010 21:31
trident77
Inactive

this is great news for a change.

1420.9.2010 21:56

Well Done!!

1521.9.2010 6:08

Originally posted by Tristan_2:
Well heres something although Ironic but bad, that one user who commented in this wondered what the Industry would do after this....apparently they just acted, they just put in a piece of Legislation that if approved would put the US Justice Department powers to shut all Piracy sites in the world something thats not only illegal but could if you think about it, start WW3.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/09...artment-piracy/
Such a bill would hardly effect piracy. It only affects domain names...and domain names are just a convenience. If you can remember a long distance telephone number, you can remember an IP address. Favorites, bookmarks, and search engines don't mind using an IP address...so other than a bit of "spring cleaning" this would have no noticeable effect at all.

1621.9.2010 8:28

They should DDoS all the newest movie sites and see what happens.

Who looks at the RIAA site?

But who'd want to check out a new movie site say harry potter site being DDoS for a week it'd kill that site and piss off heaps of people and be a major drop in money for that movie.

It'd make people cry.

1721.9.2010 10:55

taking down a website is minor stuff, pissing off the riaa isnt what anyone wants. gettting ahold of their board members ip address and sending them porn with animals and then calling the cops would be a whole lot worse... imagine lawyers with ileagle porn on their machines and getting busted for it . after awhile no one would want to work for them in fear of getting thier name attached to a file or two... ... public will never forgive them look what they are doing to the priest .. just a thought maybe its time to witchhunt those at the riaa? you know even those that plead innocent got killed for being a witch, now its pervert hunting time... lol

1822.9.2010 18:28

Bravo!

1923.9.2010 12:01

Originally posted by mystic:
taking down a website is minor stuff, pissing off the riaa isnt what anyone wants. gettting ahold of their board members ip address and sending them porn with animals and then calling the cops would be a whole lot worse... imagine lawyers with ileagle porn on their machines and getting busted for it . after awhile no one would want to work for them in fear of getting thier name attached to a file or two... ... public will never forgive them look what they are doing to the priest .. just a thought maybe its time to witchhunt those at the riaa? you know even those that plead innocent got killed for being a witch, now its pervert hunting time... lol
Genius Mystic LOL

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

2023.9.2010 14:12

Originally posted by ROMaster2:
As much as I loved it when I heard this, I don't want to know how the RIAA are going to retaliate from this.
They have done their best for years. Way to go whoever you are!

2128.9.2010 1:04

Lulz.


Someone told me once that theres a right and wrong, and that punishment would come to those
who dare to cross the line.
But it must not be true for jerk-offs like you.
Maybe it takes longer to catch a total asshole.

2228.9.2010 2:55

@killerbug sometimes i can't remember my own phone number so an Ip address would be a lot harder to remember.lucky for me i always have pen and paper lying around.

As much as the RIAA trys to stop piracy it won't work.the RIAA should honestly stop wasting money.


custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

231.10.2010 14:33

I think they equate it with being like the Old West ~ that sooner or later law & order will be bought to town.

Internet = Deadwood.


Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive