AfterDawn: Tech news

Another developer applauds PlayStation 4's memory, speed

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 13 Mar 2013 23:31 User comments (30)

Another developer applauds PlayStation 4's memory, speed Earlier this week, 'Dishonored' lead designer Christophe Carrier said he was delighted Sony decided to add so much RAM to its upcoming PlayStation 4 console.
The console will have 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, 16 times the 512MB available to PS3 developers.

Today, another developer added similar thoughts. Braid creator Jonathan Blow says the console will compare to PCs due to its memory and speed and streamlined environment.

Blow's latest game, 'The Witness,' will be a PS4 exclusive: "For The Witness we're mostly interested in the base machine and how fast it is - the fact it has faster RAM than a PC, which really helps in shuttling graphics resources around."

"Since the PS4 is not running a heavyweight operating system like Windows that gets in the way of your graphics ... Rendering stuff through Windows has an impact on performance. Since a console is just about games, that doesn't happen, and the equivalent game will run faster. And if you can target to specific hardware you can make it run faster, too."

Previous Next  

30 user comments

114.3.2013 7:53

If it needs 8GB of ultra fast memory, the load screens are going to be very long.



214.3.2013 13:30

Hmmm, we'll have to wait & see the final specs but I suspect (with so little differences between them) this is where the fanboy argument will revolve about PS4 v Xbox 720
(said to use 8gb of GDDR3).

Last I read there's an issue about latency with GDD5.
It also depends on how big the data bus is.

GDDR3 can be better for graphics rendering.

But I'm betting that once again in all practical senses there'll be almost nothing between them, other than price
(which Sony will be pushed to subsidise much & Microsoft could, easily).

We'll have to wait & see.

Looks like there's a PR campaign on saying nice things about PS4 tho.

314.3.2013 16:02

cool

415.3.2013 1:43
maklaw
Unverified new user

Originally posted by Interestx:
Hmmm, well have to wait & see the final specs but I suspect (with so little differences between them) this is where the fanboy argument will revolve about PS4 v Xbox 720
(said to use 8gb of GDDR3).

Last I read theres an issue about latency with GDD5.
It also depends on how big the data bus is.

GDDR3 can be better for graphics rendering.

But Im betting that once again in all practical senses therell be almost nothing between them, other than price
(which Sony will be pushed to subsidise much & Microsoft could, easily).

Well have to wait & see.

Looks like theres a PR campaign on saying nice things about PS4 tho.
typical fanboy argument. Sr. if your argument is true, why do all graphic cards use GDDR5? your argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

515.3.2013 12:39

8 gigs of GDDR5 Ram is nice.

I would not be surprised if Xbox upped the ante to that too.

They're figuring in a year or two's time GDDR5 will probably be much cheaper.

If there is one thing that could be said about SCE is that they do have good exclusives.


Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

615.3.2013 13:11

Speed and ease of programming are very important to developers.

To consumers, the biggest deciding factor influencing the purchase the PS4 versus the XBox 720 may well prove to be the availability of used games for the PS4.

Microsoft's broad hints that the 720 will not permit the use of used games is causing much unease in the gaming community. This unease is even greater in the achievement hunting community.

It doesn't look good.

Without warning, Microsoft recently announced the end to its family accounts. Families and achievement hunters alike are dismayed.

Microsoft's cavalier disregard for consumers interests makes it highly likely that they will render impossible the use of used games on the 720.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Mar 2013 @ 13:18

715.3.2013 16:24

Originally posted by KillerBug:
If it needs 8GB of ultra fast memory, the load screens are going to be very long.

how so

815.3.2013 18:14

Originally posted by maklaw:


typical fanboy argument.
Hardly, I own both Xbox 360 & PS3.
Try again.

Originally posted by maklaw:
Sr. if your argument is true, why do all graphic cards use GDDR5? your argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever
The data bus size is crucial.
Try googling GDDR3 v GDDR5.
It is not quite as straight-forward as you imply.


915.3.2013 23:24

Originally posted by pridmore:

Microsoft's cavalier disregard for consumers interests makes it highly likely that they will render impossible the use of used games on the 720.
That is grim. It's gone from. "hey, we can make everybody pay for any game they play, even if it's already been paid for!". To, "hey, it's our right to make everyone pay etc. etc.".

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

1016.3.2013 17:43

Originally posted by Interestx:


Looks like there's a PR campaign on saying nice things about PS4 tho.

Normally my B.S. meter picks up hyped P.R. pretty good. So I would agree with you, but like another person said Developers love easy programing. The easier it is to run your dev kit the better it is for developers to make a great game.

Since Sony was famously known for having the worst ever devkit for the PS3 at launch I don't honestly think this is a P.R. machine for positive news. I think people are genuinely surprised at how well and easy it is to develop for the PS4 over the PS3.


1116.3.2013 21:09

Originally posted by pridmore:

Microsoft's cavalier disregard for consumers interests makes it highly likely that they will render impossible the use of used games on the 720.
Nothing has happened yet, it ,may happen and it may not.....but what we can say for 100% certainty is that it was Sony that patented a method to stop used game use early on in the life-cycle of the PS3.

It never happened then & there's no reason to suspect it will catch on now.
Neither Microsoft or Sony are in the business of alienating their customer base.....and I'd say it's pretty clear what the potential customers think of this.




1216.3.2013 22:43

Originally posted by Interestx:
Originally posted by pridmore:

Microsoft's cavalier disregard for consumers interests makes it highly likely that they will render impossible the use of used games on the 720.
Nothing has happened yet, it ,may happen and it may not.....but what we can say for 100% certainty is that it was Sony that patented a method to stop used game use early on in the life-cycle of the PS3.

It never happened then & there's no reason to suspect it will catch on now.
Neither Microsoft or Sony are in the business of alienating their customer base.....and I'd say it's pretty clear what the potential customers think of this.




for sony, they confirmed 2nd handed game will always work on their console... they even said that people would like to be able to take it to friend's house and play it there.

1316.3.2013 23:40

Originally posted by jookycola:
Originally posted by Interestx:


Looks like there's a PR campaign on saying nice things about PS4 tho.

Normally my B.S. meter picks up hyped P.R. pretty good. So I would agree with you, but like another person said Developers love easy programing. The easier it is to run your dev kit the better it is for developers to make a great game.

Since Sony was famously known for having the worst ever devkit for the PS3 at launch I don't honestly think this is a P.R. machine for positive news. I think people are genuinely surprised at how well and easy it is to develop for the PS4 over the PS3.
They should call it the PS180 instead haha.

I remember having some long arguments with PS fanboys here (they know who they are even if they deny it now) years ago about that when the PS3 was launched. "Having it be more difficult to program for will lead to innovations in gameplay", they insisted. "Na", I replied, "it will just piss them off".

Looks like I gets the last laugh. :)

PS: I did think it was a noble idea on Sony's part btw. But the lack of a better gpu made programming the thing really expensive for developers.



-----------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Mar 2013 @ 0:12

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

1417.3.2013 0:40

I totally forgot about Nintendo.... Where is Nintendo

1517.3.2013 13:00

Originally posted by aeonstom0:
I totally forgot about Nintendo.... Where is Nintendo
Waiting to see what happens with the other 2.
My bet is that they will price accordingly & with more games out by then they will be well placed once again.

Especially as TV res is capped @ 1080p.

I bet lots of people will see little or no difference between them all.....and the built-in Blu-ray movie players will matter even less as cheap standalones are readily available.

1618.3.2013 20:42

Originally posted by KillerBug:
If it needs 8GB of ultra fast memory, the load screens are going to be very long.
would be the opposite of that?

1719.3.2013 8:17

Originally posted by brockie:
Originally posted by KillerBug:
If it needs 8GB of ultra fast memory, the load screens are going to be very long.
would be the opposite of that?
Well i guess in some games you can use that extra ram to preload stuff on the fly.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

1821.3.2013 20:57

Originally posted by maklaw:
Originally posted by Interestx:
Hmmm, well have to wait & see the final specs but I suspect (with so little differences between them) this is where the fanboy argument will revolve about PS4 v Xbox 720
(said to use 8gb of GDDR3).

Last I read theres an issue about latency with GDD5.
It also depends on how big the data bus is.

GDDR3 can be better for graphics rendering.

But Im betting that once again in all practical senses therell be almost nothing between them, other than price
(which Sony will be pushed to subsidise much & Microsoft could, easily).

Well have to wait & see.

Looks like theres a PR campaign on saying nice things about PS4 tho.
typical fanboy argument. Sr. if your argument is true, why do all graphic cards use GDDR5? your argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever
This actually made me LoL...good one maklaw.

1921.3.2013 21:55

hello oner, long time no see.

2021.3.2013 22:43

Originally posted by ddp:
hello oner, long time no see.
I'm off then.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

2122.3.2013 20:33

Originally posted by Oner:
This actually made me LoL...good one maklaw.
Except it's not.

There is much more to the debate about which gives the better outcome than simply the label GDDR 5 over GDDR3.
Data bus size as I've mentioned is a huge issue.

It is a fact that some of the GDDR5 graphics cards do get outperformed by some of the GDDR3 ones.

But it comes as no surprise that somee prefer to think it is a simplistic matter of a higher number in the spec type label so that must always mean 'better'.

It is a surprise Oner can't or won't admit this truth.

Fanboy you say?
How ironic.


2223.3.2013 9:46

Originally posted by ddp:
hello oner, long time no see.
Hey man, how are things?

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Originally posted by ddp:
hello oner, long time no see.
I'm off then.
lulz.

Originally posted by Interestx:
Originally posted by Oner:
This actually made me LoL...good one maklaw.
Except it's not.

There is much more to the debate about which gives the better outcome than simply the label GDDR 5 over GDDR3.
Data bus size as I've mentioned is a huge issue.

It is a fact that some of the GDDR5 graphics cards do get outperformed by some of the GDDR3 ones.

But it comes as no surprise that somee prefer to think it is a simplistic matter of a higher number in the spec type label so that must always mean 'better'.

It is a surprise Oner can't or won't admit this truth.

Fanboy you say?
How ironic.



And just for that you get a couple of days off. Some people just don't learn...because it sure seems like you forgot how short my temper is for bad attitudes ~ so here's a reminder.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Mar 2013 @ 9:52

2323.3.2013 10:04

oner, trying to keep busy. lost my mother due to complications of flesh eating disease 2yrs this past feb 27 then my stepfather died this past feb 3 of natural causes(old age).

2423.3.2013 10:45

Originally posted by ddp:
oner, trying to keep busy. lost my mother due to complications of flesh eating disease 2yrs this past feb 27 then my stepfather died this past feb 3 of natural causes(old age).
Wow man...my sincerest & deepest condolences for your losses. I too have had some family pass last year (my uncle, who is my fathers twin brother) it was really hard on the whole family as he was a big central figure for all of us.

2523.3.2013 12:21

Originally posted by Oner:
Originally posted by Jemborg:
Originally posted by ddp:
hello oner, long time no see.
I'm off then.
lulz.


I still gets the last laugh.


Edit: http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.c...comment-5842489


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Mar 2013 @ 23:20

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

2623.3.2013 17:11

i thought i get the last laugh. bummer!!!!

2723.3.2013 21:34

Originally posted by ddp:
i thought i get the last laugh. bummer!!!!
Better luck next time.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

2824.3.2013 17:11

/rollseyes I thought you left? Guess not ---> LoL!


anyway...ddp usually gets the last laugh ~ does anyone else hear the faint sound of thunder in the distance? Because I sure do.


2924.3.2013 21:06

Jemborg, shutup as oner wasn't even commenting to you & my comments were no more Inappropriate remark then yours. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/956992/5845244
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/956992/5845096
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/956992/5844591
if you have a problem with both oner's & my capabilities as moderators then you can either complain to site admin instead of doing over half a dozen offensive reports which i & oner dealt with as we answer to site admin not to the members of this site. leave this site which is your choice or shutup so that everybody can continue learning off others from their problems with game consoles, computers or whatever. disruption is not good for this site & i didn't even ban you for those remarks in the offensive reports you did about me. closed

3025.3.2013 11:15

Originally posted by ddp:
Jemborg, shutup as oner wasn't even commenting to you & my comments were no more Inappropriate remark then yours. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/956992/5845244
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/956992/5845096
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/956992/5844591
if you have a problem with both oner's & my capabilities as moderators then you can either complain to site admin instead of doing over half a dozen offensive reports which i & oner dealt with as we answer to site admin not to the members of this site. leave this site which is your choice or shutup so that everybody can continue learning off others from their problems with game consoles, computers or whatever. disruption is not good for this site & i didn't even ban you for those remarks in the offensive reports you did about me. closed
TY ddp ~ I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive