Topeka Capital: Next iPhone, iPad will have fingerprint scanning

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 05 Jun 2013 23:13 User comments (14)

Topeka Capital: Next iPhone, iPad will have fingerprint scanning According to Topeka Capital analyst Brian White, Apple's next innovation will be fingerprint scanning tech.
The tech will be added to the next iPhone and iPad, says the analyst.

White has been on a "tech tour" of Taiwan, speaking with sources during the Computex tradeshow. The analyst promises that "fingerprint technology will greatly simplify and speed up a customer's interaction with iOS devices."

He believes the iPhone 5S will use the technology, thus making it more than just a marginal update from the current iPhone 5.

"Our research suggests that users will simply place their finger on the home key of the iPhone 5S and this will automatically unlock the device, nullifying the need to enter a four-character Apple ID Password," noted White, "Additionally, we believe this new feature will allow users to more quickly and easily make purchases from iTunes, the iBook Store and the App Store, while also accessing Game Center."

Additionally, the tech could be used for making payments, and also in Passbook, among other applications.

15.6.2013 23:28

that would be something if true...

26.6.2013 2:38

Good. I always liked that feature on my Motorola Atrix. Too bad I had to return it because of other problems I had with the device.

36.6.2013 11:02

Finger print scan has never been done right . . Apple will do it right and every manufacturer will follow as usual

Hack a bit, invest a bit, work a bit, jerk a bit

46.6.2013 11:34

After they will patent the idea of fingers with prints and sew anyone that is alive that dose not pay them royaltys upon birth...

Seriously though if it works it could be cool. I like the things Motorola is working on for security more though.

56.6.2013 13:00

"Honey, can you get my phone and call 911, I think I'm having a heart attack!?"
Sure hon, only if you give me the finger...!"

66.6.2013 13:29

Another Apple innovation that others have been doing for years. And no...I don't think Samsung will "copy" it...they would already have it if not for the fact that the home button is as small as possible to make room for the biggest screens possible...I think they are waiting on multitouch screens capable of the job.

76.6.2013 14:18

I got my first fingerprint scanning to unlock my PC around 2002. So Crapple didn't invent sh*t if you ask me, and then; they say others will follow: WTF hypocrisy.
Now if I think about it. Why do I want this tech when I get almost everything for free. So they want me to leave evidences behind.
:))) is just a BIG NO-NO.

How FBI & NSA is Spying on your using Verizon, Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, PalTalk, AOL, Skype, YouTube & Apple. 3 months at the time for the last 7 years:
GRAPH: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua...de-crop-001.jpg
REPORT: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju...verizon-records
PDF: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interac...ata-court-order

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Jun 2013 @ 21:01

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

86.6.2013 14:46

Originally posted by Mrguss:
:))) is just a BIG NO-NO.
The other question is why would Apple customers want fingerprint-level security when they are buying Apple devices that are about as secure as a windows PC with no password?

96.6.2013 17:43

As an Apple iPhone user for several years, I can care less about this. All I want for a new update is a bigger screen... not taller but also wider.

I'm tired of this sh*tty a** tiny screens. The iPhone 5 was a huge disappointment and iPhone 5s will probably have the same screen specs and just be tall for that 16x9 aspect ratio but I want it wider like the Samsung and LG phones.

Oh well, I'll guess I will just use my penis for the finger print to see if I can unlock my phone. God knows it's the same size... ha-ha

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Jun 2013 @ 17:45

106.6.2013 18:21

Originally posted by cart0181:
Shhh.... You cannot point out that other phones and devices had this first. Don't you know that Apple innovated this?

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ~ Roy Trenneman

116.6.2013 19:50

Originally posted by bobiroc:
Originally posted by cart0181:
I'm sure Apple will just sue everyone who did this in the past for copying them.

127.6.2013 11:41

From a security perspective this is good since bio-metrics is the strongest form of authentication. As for purchasing items from the app store by swiping your finger? No thank you. I do not like the idea of everything being connected and attached through your fingerprint. If security is a priority (which is always is) I would prefer two-factor authentication; rolling passwords and bio-metrics. I personally feel that apple is losing its edge in innovation but, then again that is just my humble opinion.

"By golly, Im beginning to think Linux really *is* the best thing since sliced bread." (By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)

137.6.2013 22:27

LOL, utter waste of time.

This has been around for sometime and while some people try it out on laptops the scanners aren't very good.

You spend 10 mins trying to get a good swipe to set it up then you spend 30 mins trying to get the device to log in and wish you hadn't of bothered.

the concept sounds great but its just the same deal as like VR or jumping around to play a game, people will think it's the best thing ever but when you find out that you need to jump around for 100 hours straight to finish said game, people just aren't into it so much after that.

VR has the problem of how do you actually walk around a world that's 100 klm square? looking around is 1 thing but actually moving and doing stuff is another problem again.

This has the problem of what happens when you can't scan in because you have a cut on your finger what happens if your finger is cut off what happens if you set the phone to scan finger only and the scanner keeps stuffing up and you can't get into the phone.

1411.6.2013 8:56

@ xtago - i think you'll be able to enter a pin or password instead if your fingerprint doesn't work.
Thats how it works on laptops anyway.