Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 20 Feb 2014 21:29 User comments (10)

Report: Google building app for connecting to hotspot Wi-Fi networks automatically According to sources, Google is building an app that would help you automatically connect to wireless hotspots such as those offered by Starbucks.
Google is supposedly testing the iOS and Android versions of the app at its headquarters.

The current process for many Wi-Fi networks can be a bit tedious. You usually have to find the access point, head to your browser and then agree to a terms page.

For 7000 Starbucks locations, AT&T formerly provided the Internet service but Google will now do so. The search giant is expected to use encrypted networks, and there is the possibility Google will use the app to install a dedicated security certificate using your Google account, allowing for automatic authentication whenever a connection is available.

Tags: Wi-Fi Google

Related news

120.2.2014 21:58

sure hope it works.

221.2.2014 13:13

So unless you sign up for a "google" account, the app won't work?? Sounds pretty "tedious" to me. I am sick of having to sign up for a service that I don't want or need. Hopefully the networks will still work the old way. Google can kiss my ass....they are getting just as annoying as everyone else with the damn google account bullshit.

And how is it gonna work if you are not logged into your google account through the app. Sounds like "more" work if the app asks for you user and pass when you don't have the app always open. How is that easier than just hitting a button that says AGREE??

321.2.2014 22:36

I don't use an internet free service I don't trust. I'll stick to paying for my data plan.

421.2.2014 23:32

Originally posted by GryphB:
You don't use the free wifi at Starbucks and other businesses? Because that is what this is about.

522.2.2014 4:05

Starbucks never took off in Oz... too much of a cafe culture here.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

622.2.2014 5:46

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Starbucks never took off in Oz... too much of a cafe culture here.
from what i've heard that is a good thing, heard starbucks is the worst coffee in the world.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

722.2.2014 9:32

Starbucks is by no means the worst, that's just silly hyperbole, but it certainly isn't worth what they charge for it. If you get just standard coffee, rather than espresso, there's nothing particularly wrong with it.

822.2.2014 10:57

I hear it's better than diner dripulated.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-

922.2.2014 11:57

Better beans, I'd say, but on the other hand, I'd also warrant that depends on the diner.

1023.2.2014 21:28

I am definitely looking forward to this. While I understand their reasons for displaying a TOS before you are allowed to use most free WiFi services, it's gets annoying and tedious after a while clicking on the button that says "Yeah, I won't break any laws or hack your network while using your WiFi".