Chrome really is eating all your battery life

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 20 Oct 2015 10:01 User comments (9)

Chrome really is eating all your battery life Thanks to a new report, we have some more proof that Google's Chrome browser is killing your battery life, and in some cases, to a huge degree.
Testing different browsers with different Windows 10 notebooks/2-in-1s, Chrome actually killed overall battery life by as much as 28 percent compared to Microsoft Internet Explorer, a scary figure.

In the report, the tester used an Asus Zenbook UX305F, a Surface Pro 3 and a Toshiba Portege Z20t-B, while testing IE11, Chrome 46, Firefox 41 and Microsoft Edge 20. All browsers were on default configurations. They ran the Peacekeeper battery test twice and averaged the battery time.

Microsoft's browsers were unquestionably the top dogs, saving 30-59 minutes in battery life depending on the device.

Here were the full results:

Asus:

Surface:

Toshiba:

Read the full report here: Digital Citizen

121.10.2015 00:05

HA! I always knew Chrome sucked and this is just concrete proof.

This and its general incompatibilities and separate procs for each tab???

Waterfox all the way......Firefox at the very least.

221.10.2015 01:11

Doesn't change things for me very much. Too tied into Google products to move to another browser, especially Chrome Sync. Sounds weird I know.

321.10.2015 01:11

I prefer Pale Moon (another FF variant) but for once, I completely agree with you, hearme0.

421.10.2015 07:04

Originally posted by hearme0:
HA! I always knew Chrome sucked and this is just concrete proof.

This and its general incompatibilities and separate procs for each tab???

Waterfox all the way......Firefox at the very least.
Same here, you can set it not to do separate procs, but annoying

521.10.2015 09:44

I presume then, that's the cause of android devices batteries draining fast.

621.10.2015 10:48

I'm already too tied to Chrome and that anything different will just make me inefficient. I guess I'll just wait until Google fixes it.

721.10.2015 12:41

Originally posted by Bozobub:
Cool...a little props is better than none at all.

823.10.2015 00:12

Originally posted by Mysttic:
I presume then, that's the cause of android devices batteries draining fast.

This can happen for a rather large number of reasons, including (but not limited to):
- Badly-written OS-level or bundled programs.
- Badly-written 3rd-party ROMs, for rooted phones.
- Excessive syncing to too many online accounts and/or too often. Facebook is a dire offender here.
- Leaving wifi or GPS on.
- Heavy use of the CPU/GPU. For example, Goat Simulator for Android, while amusing, sucks down battery power faster than a $20 hooker eats pills. This is becoming more and more common, as apps/games get more elaborate on the Android platform.

923.10.2015 19:33

Originally posted by Bozobub:
Originally posted by Mysttic:
I presume then, that's the cause of android devices batteries draining fast.

- Badly-written OS-level or bundled programs.
- Badly-written 3rd-party ROMs, for rooted phones.
- Leaving wifi or GPS on.
I'd agree with all those points, but I downloaded a custom ROM (Edit: I now see you said "badly-coded") because the stock one came with battery-killing bloatware and also sucked down battery quickly without it. The stock ROM is much more battery friendly - at the end of the day, I often still have ~80% charge even after heavy use over 8 hours (WiFi, not data.)

I've also found that WiFi has very little impact on battery life, at least that's my observation. Maintaining cellular signal seems to require more power - when I run my phone in Airplane Mode with just WiFi on, my battery lasts days at low brightness.

Sprint GS5
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Oct 2015 @ 7:35

Latest news

Guide: How to Kick Unwanted Guests from Your Netflix Account Guide: How to Kick Unwanted Guests from Your Netflix Account (26 Jan 2023 2:14)
Sharing a Netflix account with a person in a different location is possible and indeed very common, although the company doesn't necessarily enjoy this behavior from their customers. However, ....
1 user comment
Guide: Turn an Old Computer Into a Chromebook Easily and for Free Guide: Turn an Old Computer Into a Chromebook Easily and for Free (07 Jan 2023 2:11)
Do you know someone whose computer is way beyond its best-before date, and they, unfortunately, do know have the skills or the expertise to do much about it? Or do you own a pile of old laptop ....
How to Choose a Robot Vacuum? How to Choose a Robot Vacuum? (07 Jan 2023 9:12)
Robot vacuums are meant to make day-to-day life easier in several ways. When they are used efficiently, they can keep the house clean continuously - at least when it comes to floors. In addition, ....
Tech year 2022 wrapped up: The rise of the AI, EU to become the much-needed counterweight to tech giants, ... Tech year 2022 wrapped up: The rise of the AI, EU to become the much-needed counterweight to tech giants, ... (01 Jan 2023 2:11)
AfterDawn's wrap-up for the tech year 2022. The rise of the artificial intelligence was probably the most significant change that occurred during the year 2022, but there were many other interesting developments, too.
OPPO to follow Samsung, OnePlus: Promises 4 Android updates, 5 years of patches for upcoming flagships OPPO to follow Samsung, OnePlus: Promises 4 Android updates, 5 years of patches for upcoming flagships (21 Dec 2022 3:45)
OPPO has updated its official Android update policy. Phone manufacturer now promises four major Android operating system updates for its new flagship phones.