AfterDawn is looking for new admins

Written by Petteri Pyyny (Google+) @ 24 Aug 2005 5:41 User comments (72)

AfterDawn is looking for new admins We, as in AfterDawn.com, are looking to expand our team of site administrators within next couple of weeks and we want you to tell us why you should be the one picked to fill the role.
More precisely what we are looking for is a new person to write news articles, guides, etc to our websites, including AfterDawn.com and our upcoming gaming site, Blasteroids.com. To detail what we want:
  • must be able to write good/excellent English (this does include people whose primary language isn't English, after all, we are a Finnish site..)
  • good knowledge about games, gaming platforms, consoles, etc OR about DVDs, movie backups, P2P, etc
  • willing to commit at least 15 hours each week to write content
  • able to work as part of a team, with weird working hours
  • good writing skills -- the fact that you know your grammar, doesn't necessarily make you a good writer :-)
  • able to work remotely, using ICQ and email as the means to communicate with other members of the team

That's it, really. Send in your application using this form:

Deadline for applications is 16th of September, 23:59 UTC.

124.8.2005 6:45

Good luck to who ever applies.

224.8.2005 7:22

I have! (No Laughing, Please!) =D

324.8.2005 7:31

lol@15 hours a week. I spend between 6 - 12hours a day lookin over articles on here. But the only thing I really know about is Consoles/Games/modding. I mean, I know enough to get me by about DVD's and pc's in general. Although becoming a mod would be a dream come true, maybe I'll apply in a couple of years :-)

424.8.2005 7:32

lol, on second thoughts..... Hehe, may aswell apply.

524.8.2005 8:22
joebaxter

sucks i can't apply on a Junior Member :)

624.8.2005 9:09

@ joebaxter:) why on earth not? status does not mean that you have not got the skills needed for the job. we need the best, to keep AD the best. give it a go

724.8.2005 10:23

Just tell us who's the new admin.

824.8.2005 11:05
haz3

I'm thinking Nephilim?

924.8.2005 11:08

maybe i will apply, i have my strange area of expertise on computers, everyone i know locally is always asking me to help them with computers, wow! looks like i am the only newbie With me still being in school for engineering, i will have to apply when i graduate if afterdawn has an open position

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Aug 2005 @ 0:07

1024.8.2005 11:12

wait, haz3, you posted as i was typing my first post, lol, i am not alone anymore, yeh

1124.8.2005 14:06
Alien13

I would apply but with the wierd working hours i wouldnt be able to do that as i have school and will be away for 6 hours a day :( Good luck to all And congrats on the new admin :)

1224.8.2005 15:27

same here alien, but i did pm ddp and tell him :)

1324.8.2005 16:21

I also nominate Neph!

1424.8.2005 16:41

Goody Lucky everybody! See you later alligator!

1524.8.2005 17:30

yes, another job I'm too lazy to do

1624.8.2005 22:26

There should be no reason to not apply if you desire being admin here. It's not a popularity contest, there are no favourites at all. Everyone's application will be checked, regardless of status. The more applications the better so get yours in there too. This isnt like choosing a mod, its not about nominations or someone's forum use, concidering the guy/gal being sought will be adding content to main aD site (news, guides etc..), and as far as i know, besides submitted guides from vurbal, matt et al... only about 6 or 7 people have actually ever added content to aD themselves (manually) so everyone here is as qualified as everyone else at least in that aspect. So as i said, if ud like the position and think you fit the profile, dont be put off by forum status or anything like that, just let aD know what your good at and you have the same chance as everyone else :-) Looking forward to workin with you... whoever you are ;)

1724.8.2005 22:28
Alien13

Yeah ddp would be a cool admin same with neph :)

1824.8.2005 23:22

I know quite a bit (not to blow ones own horn :), i know about: -DVD -Internet -Hardware -Software ---Pretty Much all things in general but i know lots more about the above--- however i'm in the same boat as Alien13, i gots to go to school 6 hours a day, and i dont have broadband <!>BONUS<!> :) good luck to whoever gets it... PS: i reckons ROTARY would make a great admin, he knows lotsa stuff and is realy experienced... Just putting in my 2 cents...

1924.8.2005 23:28
BURN-MAN

ddp?!?!?!neph?!?!?!?Who the heck are these people?!? You need to type, you need the want and you need the drive and fortitude to go against the grain, think outside the box and to judge everything this "scene" is about with a complete and total unbias eye. It is not for popularity, posting, clever comments nor is it here for you to , so quaintly-put, "nominate" someone or some NAME. You need to see that the Atari Jaguar has as much right to the history as the XBOX...Ever-"crack" is rightfully named so...you at least own a 2600 all the way through a pre-purchase of a 360...if you speak about "back-ups" instead of copying...about P2P as an opening of the flood-gates and not the closure of an industry. If you can....than do, but please do not assume the accomplishments of others as your ballott to elect. Thanks.

2024.8.2005 23:41
Alien13

Neph, he is a mod. DDP he is an addict. They are both very helpful.

2125.8.2005 1:34
Rosco404

good luck to whoever gets the role! : )

2225.8.2005 1:40

what the f*ck are you taliking about "BURN-MAN", i\we understand that our 'nominations' are worthless unless the members are willing\able to continue devloping and improving this site we all call home... for example, i suggested ROTARY because, he has the 'proper' grammar and english, is packed with info that is worthful to all of us and think that he could contribute to a high degree...

"Its so hard to try to be different..."-Apocalypse Hoboken

2325.8.2005 2:25

To be more detailed: -it doesn't matter whether you have an existing AfterDawn account or not -your aD forum rank doesn't have any significance whatsoever for the role -we're looking either: guy who knows everything about games, gaming technology (consoles, etc), etc or guy who knows everything about video technology or guy who knows everything about both. We're looking to fill one role, but if we get excellent applicants to both sectors, we might consider taking two guys to the team. -the deadline mentioned is solid, all applications after the deadline will go to /dev/null

2425.8.2005 6:45

Burn-man WTF? Do you just talk complete pants? Most here are aware of the criteria involved. Just what is the point you are making? I am the first to confess that I only know a tiny bit about burning compared to others here. Probably 'cos I am lazy & just stick to the easiest way possible. As for burning games - never done one yet! I know bits & bobs about hardware, but again, only the bits I need to know! I do have a rep for not taking any crap & speaking my mind. Is that part of the job description?! LOL!! I would consider myself completely the wrong type to do the job. I love Afterdawn, but the commitment required would be too much. I would probably get power mad too! Admin - no, Mod - possible!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Aug 2005 @ 6:46

2525.8.2005 7:14

I wouldn't be able to put in the 15 hours a week. I'm lazy as it is :p

2625.8.2005 8:04

lol. yeah, Quadratic, you are lazy. j/k. Have to admit though, that you seem to know your stuff..... When you bother posting. lol

2725.8.2005 9:00

@ pulsar hi :) i echo your comments to Burn-man. there's one guy that wouldn't get the job if i was the BOSS. i also echo the second part of your reply applying it to myself including the mod bit. well said.

2825.8.2005 9:11

Hiya Gurnard! I am also very wary of people who claim to know loads. they usually know very little, but have the gift of the gab! I do not envy the people who have to make the decsion on this one!

Gif by Phantom69

2925.8.2005 9:30

erm....whats the pay.....hehehe

3025.8.2005 9:42

I was thinking The exact same thing, Hursty. For the 'unusual hours' and all. LOL

3125.8.2005 9:44
skidme

i can wryte realll wel. My spellling skils is of da hooke. Antidisestablishmentarianism. Are yall impressed yet?

3225.8.2005 10:43

ill work for free ...and when can i start banning people i hate ?

3325.8.2005 12:04

Phantom69 (Member) 25 August 2005 5:40 what the f*ck are you taliking about "BURN-MAN", iwe understand that our 'nominations' are worthless unless the members are willingable to continue devloping and improving this site we all call home... for example, i suggested ROTARY because, he has the 'proper' grammar and english, is packed with info that is worthful to all of us and think that he could contribute to a high degree...
Hi all thank you Phantom69 for the vote of confidenence, but to be true i dont think i have the criteria to to be the best for that job, but like mentioned status has no bearing here re the position, they need someone who can be both good at writing a easy to follow guide etc aswell as a fully beta like testing person, i consider myself a newbie when it comes to both and only know whats needed to get the job done which to me is basic funtions with professional outputs from apps, i usaully tend to test anything that suits my needs re video conversions. and aslo i see time as a major factor here, as any guide needs the app tested fully, which in my experience takes days due to conversion times etc and not forgetting PAYING for the app in the first place. good luck to all who apply and may the best person win... Rotary...

3425.8.2005 12:13
mikey_ray

this gonna sound stupid but does the job pay---cause im broke --but even if it didnt pay thats still cool cause this is an awesome site and hope it never leaves ---and its funny how all these newbies are acting like they no all--- if theyre a newbie arent they learning barely-- just a thought

3525.8.2005 12:15

15 hours? how can people check that your doing 15hours work? Anyways good luck to anyone who applies, I write 2 much slang 2 apply LOL.

3625.8.2005 12:24

hi all @ mikey_ray status means a big fat zero on the life scale here! it is merely an indication on how long you have been a member of afterdawn. i see newbie members that know 50 times what i know, as people just pop in sometimes for clarifying or a better resolution to a small problem thay may have, but are fully qualified in there field... as know one can know everything, thats what makes this site very good and is why i like hanging around here, aswell as i came here as a newbie needing help and now i see it as paying it forward in return for help i needed.

3725.8.2005 13:32

In meiner meinung nach i think that it does matter about status. Whoever is recruiting the new admins will sub-consciously be looking about what they have already done for afterdawn...

3825.8.2005 13:35

admin should be chosen by existing admin or team/staff members, not left to the ability of someone to write a convincing application letter.

3925.8.2005 15:21
akitchens

Have good knowledge about ripping DVD's and some game platforms, but my grammar sucks. Hey, atleast I'm honest!

4025.8.2005 16:59

Well all I have to say is good luck to all ya people who want the position. I have been here in the PS2 and XBOX forums for a while returning the favor they gave me.

4125.8.2005 21:02

I have the knowledge for ripping and making DVD's. I have been doing it for over 3 years now. I have even helped some of the members here. But as far as gamming platforms go I am not up to speed. I really don't play that many games on my computer, am now just starting to get into the gamming because my Computer teacher is into the games big time. But if there is some one more qualified for the job have at it. I am a disabeled VietNam Vet. I spend a lot of time on my computers.

4225.8.2005 23:36

personally,i'd employ a blonde 6ft female to do the job,and insist on a web cam

4325.8.2005 23:46

To those of you who are following this thread only at the forums: Please read the original news article as well: http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6759.cfm And yes, the job does pay. Exact figures will be discussed with the applicants, but the compensation for donated time will be fair. =)

Jari Ketola
Administrator

4426.8.2005 0:44
BURN-MAN

hursty, you got me with the pay and the blonde thing....very good stuff, cuts the crap like a knife....cheers!!

4526.8.2005 7:12

LOL Bubba. I know I don't post as much as I used to, but the summer has tied me into a lot of things, and so I'm busy enough as is. I'd be still content in just putting in my few cents every now and then =)

4627.8.2005 7:27
Doggy_Bot

Auslander, would be my vote!

4727.8.2005 7:30
DougStrou

What perk/benefits come along with the position?

4827.8.2005 8:03

it seems that those begging to know about the pay rate and things like that are the exact opposite of what an admin needs to be, first and foremost you need to have a passion for doing it! it will sureley be based on the knowledge, communication skills, and the time available to devote to the position. you wont make a living off of it, the pay would just be a little added bonus for your devotion. Dont worry, you'll be very underpaid for the work you do here, but a good admin wouldn't give a rats ass about the pay anyway! You'd be doing it for the love of aD and the willingness to help out.

4927.8.2005 8:13

Well said Darth! All these wannabies are not what makes good admin, or mods for that matter. Billy Connolly (A Scottish comedian, in case you don't know!) once said "the desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever being one". That is SO true. I spend time here because I have made many, many friends, I have learnt so much & I get a real buzz helping people. The whole Afterdawn ethos is spot on. We have top mods & top members helping each other out. What more could one ask for? I enjoyed teaching when I was a mechanical engineer. Imparting knowledge is wonderful. When it is appeciated it makes it really worth it!

5027.8.2005 8:25

hi all @ pulsar Excellantly put indeed! nice one love the Billy Connolly touch - lol.....

5127.8.2005 9:22

you sound like the perfect candidate :) regards hursty

5227.8.2005 9:23

When I considered applying for the position I did not expect to be paid, I was ready to work for free. It is a shame that I am still in school for engineering and do not have the spare time to work.

5327.8.2005 9:26

@ pollution, I am surprised that there is fiscal reward on this job! I would have done it for free, just 'cos I love it so much! What engineering are you doing BTW?

5427.8.2005 10:08
DougStrou

If the responses directly following my post are targeted towards my question regarding the perks/benefits, I think you have gone overboard with the aggressive overtones of your remarks. Regardless, if someone else is interested and curious about the pay, it is a natural question, and one that can be answered respectfully and without any hostility. If I have misread the responses, please accept my apology. My reason for inquiring is I have my own site and will be looking for some people to assist me in moderating the site and wanted to do some investigating into what is common practice. BTW- it is in a completely unrelated field. Thanks, Doug

5527.8.2005 13:25

@ pulsar, i am suprised too that they are going to pay, I had my application ready to submit and work for nothing, then i decided not too b/c someone with more time would be better. I am going for chemical engineering.

5627.8.2005 13:35

I did 5 yrs doing mechanical engineering, ended up with a HNC. Was a mech engineer for 14yrs & a manager for 3.

Gif by Phantom69

5727.8.2005 23:09

hi @ DougStrou you didnt mention what your site was about ??? thx...

5828.8.2005 2:29
DougStrou

Good Morning Rotary, It is a Surf/Skate/Snow/Wakeboard site. I will need help adding content to the site for industry news/updates. Doug

5928.8.2005 5:08

all applications after the deadline will go to /dev/null
- lol, well put, there's nothing like dumping stuff in /dev/null!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Aug 2005 @ 5:11

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

603.9.2005 14:20

As I agree with the fact that one must have a "passion" for what they're doing, it follows that those with that passion usually don't spend their free time "hunting" for larger pastures. It might just behoove Ketola to sound out those he would consider for the job. You'd be more likely to get those you were thinking of for the post rather than those who are too busy being full of themselves waving their "banners" in the air and screaming, "Me, Me." For one, some of our more experienced Mods should be lQQked at seriously. Darth or Herbs, IMO, would be outstanding choices as would Minion. All of whom have proven themselves in all of the stated fields. . Another excellent choice would be Praetor. Though disenchanted with aD for sometime and therefore not making a showing in either mIRC or the forum, I can't think of anyone who suits the described duties better. Being extremely knowledgeable with all aspects of gaming, P2P and DVD backups, Praetor has the ability to write clear and concise guides and reviews. An offer such as this one might well entice him to return to the fold. Sometimes it might be wise to put the past there, in the past and start again. Many times it benefits all concerned. All of the above have talents, which if harnessed by aD, could well help spearhead this company to even greater heights. As always, it's just my 2-cents Pete

613.12.2005 1:55

who got the job?

623.12.2005 2:01

not me hehe...

633.12.2005 2:23

Well Creaky has been made a mod...don't know if that is it or not..

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Dec 2005 @ 2:23

643.12.2005 4:22

naw, not me guvna :)

653.12.2005 5:47

So who is it

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Dec 2005 @ 5:50

R.I.P. 2Pac, Eazy-E, Biggie, Big L, Big Pun, Mac Dre, Aaliyah, Left Eye and all the other fallen soldiers

The best MP3 ripper around (Exact Audio Copy)
To make gapless audio cd's out of MP3's
To check vital info on your MP3's download Encspot
To get past copy protection on Audio Cd's read this
To tag your MP3's the easy way download T&R

663.12.2005 20:45

hi all creaky your a mod??? kool...

674.12.2005 0:39

hi buddy, yup, cheers, long time no see again

684.12.2005 0:57

We found two guys for the Blasteroids.com position. We'll announce the new admins shortly. However, we failed to find one (advertised later) for the AfterDawn.com staff writer position and will open that position for new applicants shortly and will announce details in news item posted most likely on next week.

694.12.2005 1:28

dRD, when you mention staff writer position, do you mean the job that Dela does? If so will they be doing that instead of Dela or as well as him? With regards to Blasteroids, glad some people have been found to help out there. Hopefully it will step up a gear and become as big as it has become here :)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Dec 2005 @ 1:32

704.12.2005 2:21

I made it to the second round of applications but unfortunately I had to remove my application due to changing jobs. More hours and a weird roster. I am kinda bummed about it too coz I really really really wanted the job.

714.12.2005 2:55

Just thought I'd help clarify this one. You would be working alongside Dela :-)

724.12.2005 3:08