AfterDawn is hiring

Written by Petteri Pyyny (Google+) @ 06 Nov 2006 23:59 User comments (39)

AfterDawn is hiring As our site continues to grow bigger, and as some of our old content writers have had their life situations changed, we're once again facing a situation where we need two or more content writers to join our excellent news & guide team.
We have hired four new people during the last year or so to various content positions on our site and want to hear from the people who are interested to join this team.

What the work includes?
  • You must be able to work on at least four days a week for the site, preferably 4 or more hours each day.
  • You have to be able to write news articles and news updates on at least 15 days each month.
  • You'll be working from home, communicating with the rest of the team via instant messenger (ICQ) and email.
  • We expect you to be able to produce 2 or more good quality guides each month on variety of digital video topics.
  • Your work will also include maintaining our glossary section, updating existing guides, hunting for news articles, etc.

For the time requirements, I must warn that you must be absolutely certain you can fulfill the commitments and keep your agreed daily schedule. The working hours (when you work, how long you work, etc) are totally up to you -- we simply agree on the content output goals and you do your best to keep those goals.

What we are looking for?

• must be able to write good/excellent English (this does include people whose primary language isn't English, after all, we are a Finnish site..)
  • good (but you don't have to be an expert) knowledge about digital video, movie backups, P2P, etc (read through our news section and you'll get an idea what type of areas we normally cover)
  • ability to write articles and guides in a way that they are easy to understand, even for a person who doesn't have the in-depth knowledge of the subject covered
  • willing to follow the agreed guidelines and content targets
  • good writing skills -- the fact that you know your grammar, doesn't necessarily make you a good writer :-)
  • person applying for the position has to be at least 18 years old.
  • able to work remotely, using ICQ and email as the means to communicate with other members of the team

What you would get out of it?
  • You'd be working for one of the largest digital video publications in the world -- a nice detail in your resume..
  • We are extremely flexible with holidays, etc.
  • Excellent and fun team to work with

• Financial compensation which is directly linked to your content output

That's it, really. Send in your application using this form:

Deadline for applications is 30th of November, 23:59 UTC.

17.11.2006 2:30

Good luck to whoever applys :-) I'm not sure if I can find 4 or 5 hours a day to dedicate to writing news articles, from what I've heard its more work that you'd expect.... For now, I'll stick to helping in the forums.

27.11.2006 2:30

37.11.2006 2:56

I have the time but I lack the brwaaaiinnnnssss ...er....ahem....sadly...

47.11.2006 4:06
gogochar

Just saw the new home page. That's awesome. Keep up the good work.

57.11.2006 6:08

I would do it if it weren't for the guides on digital video. How much does it pay?

67.11.2006 6:13

nvm, not 18, and when will there be an edit button here, other than going to it in the forums.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Nov 2006 @ 7:55

77.11.2006 7:53

* Financial compensation which is directly linked to your content output That dont sound to good

87.11.2006 9:13

It means that for each piece of content you write, you'll be paid. As the work is impossible to measure in hours, as its not in-office position, we feel that this is fairest way to pay salary for this type of job. Same scheme applies to all of our content team members.

97.11.2006 9:31

i would apply if i knew i could dedicate the time. but with the ol' college lifestyle, i can't make any guarantees. oh well, good luck to the applicants.

107.11.2006 11:17

I'm thinking of applying...but its quite hard to meet all of the hours required.

117.11.2006 21:16
WierdName

Sucks that im not old enough because I have more than enough time.

128.11.2006 0:29

I like many others here would love to work for aD. But the downside is that i have applied for University this year and i maybe tied up with that for this year and the years to come. I will apply and see anyway my time can alter depending on my course and they say four hours for four days a weeks soo if i work 16 hours over a shorter amount of time is that still possible...

138.11.2006 1:40

I got all the free time in the world I am disabled and troll the net alot,and yes I am a nice troll when my brain works otherwise I am confused and can spread around the confusion :P Also I'm not good with grammar or speaking >< even tho I try and write. http://www.olichat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=284

148.11.2006 2:33
xhardc0re

I hope you apply ZIppyDSM and get the position! You rock. And you too, rav009. Two excellent people who could write good stories for this website. AD has been very good to me. Matter of fact, i plan on starting my own VG site (no way will it compete with your Blasteroids) & have already found investors & content writers. All i need now is....a webhost that will let me run a BT Tracker & host some semi-questionable content. LOL All this U.S.A. Patriot Act garbage is really cramping my style. I guess there's always China or N. Korea for webhosting!

168.11.2006 11:03

@ borhan9, the student life comprises of 99% of time doing F' all. This is proven by fact I'm writing this. No go for me though, I'm very, very dim.

178.11.2006 18:22
fdemon

I wish I had a few more months to get this in. I turn 18 in March of next year. :( This puts me out of the running, but good luck to the rest of you.

189.11.2006 6:42

@DVDBack23 - i'd asked you to sort out your sig already, however as i can't find the thread i asked you in, you got another chance to sort it. thanks.

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

209.11.2006 9:46

Good luck people :-)

219.11.2006 10:05

@DVDBack23 - cheers ears

..and yes, good luck people

2210.11.2006 7:57
aszbaz

ah.... maybe in 13 years. too young :( college coming up soon! not enough time... and probably less than minimum wage!

2323.11.2006 3:41

good luck all.

2423.11.2006 5:55

Seems like a nice job as I am sort of a techno geek. I just cant put the hours in. With my normal 9-5, three kids and wife & my PS2. I have no spare time. Congrat to whom ever gets the postion and best luck to those who are applying.

2525.11.2006 17:01
gogochar
2628.11.2006 16:59
wazid360

Aww man, I'm only 15

273.12.2006 17:32

i am very VERY interested in this job, how does the compensation work?

286.12.2006 17:11

This jobs sounds like a great opportunity and I am sad that I missed the deadline...will you be accepting applications again in the near future?

3019.12.2006 5:01
xhardc0re

I'd like to see the members of AD decide who gets the job(s), in case the final set of individuals are all very talented. Democracy in action, but please....no more 2000/2004 U.S. Presidential hacked voting. We don't need that :(

if you're a college student, do NOT settle with the RIAA http://tinyurl.com/37oz2z

~ SlimPS2 v15US, PSP v3.60FW, TaiyoYuden DVD-R, SwapMagic_v3.6 & BreakerPro 1.1 (No mod)
Writer: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4080N 0G03 SW: DVDDecrypt*r,
lastest Nero Ultra 7 & Alcohol 120% ~

3119.12.2006 5:18

if AD was a democracy, that would be fine...but it's not. it's the guys that are paid and pay to run it that own the place and are the only ones who should get to make such decisions.

3219.12.2006 5:24
xhardc0re

If it was a close call, the best way to make a decision is with a large group of people voting.

Ehhh no comment on the hacked U.S. Prez vote huh? Guess the people in Europe figured this out about 6 years ago....

Writer: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4080N 0G03 SW: DVDDecrypt*r,
lastest Nero Ultra 7 & Alcohol 120% ~

3319.12.2006 5:34

I'm not sure about what happens in america with all these electrion rigging and stuff. But hopefully its not like this on afterdawn, im pretty sure its not. Bush is a lunatic anyway....Fell of his rocker long time ago.

Arsenal! =D

3419.12.2006 5:48

As happy as it might sound (yes, I can see those yellow stars, red flags, the reggae playing in the background and people having fun on the sunny beach.. ;-) to have a democratic website called AfterDawn where everybody has a vote -- no, lets make it two -- and everybody would be equal, I still think that my answer to your wishes about democratic election process is a "no".

Letting users to pick the candidates simply creates "I like this guy, because he likes me and we're online buddies and our friends like us as well and we like them too" community that is extremely focused to itself and the members it values the most. We, instead, try to avoid even looking at people's forum posts, etc and wont take those in account when deciding about the people. Call it "blind-folded decision making process" or something, but we simply evaluate people's applications and decide based on those who will get to the second round. During the second round, everybody delivers us sample news and guides which we'll evaluate and make the ultimate decision based on those merits alone.

We do, however, have a democratic voting system, but it is open only to our staff members (content writers), because they know what the job requires from a person and can quite well analyze how well the person writes, what kind of language and literate expression skills they have, etc.

That is not to say that we don't appreciate our hard working forum members -- instead, we do value their work. But being a good forum user, helping everybody out, etc is one skill. Entirely different skill is to be able to deliver the agreed content within the agreed deadlines, being able to write in a "journalistic" and relatively un-opinionated way (whereas in forums it usually pays to have your own style -- everybody knows my forum style, but most people also know that I'm not _as_ opinionated when I'm writing news :-).

Furthermore, we've received tons of good applications from people who haven't even posted to our forums, ever. And the chances of one of those people getting "elected" by the democractic, open-to-forum-users voting panel, are quite slim, I think :-)

Petteri Pyyny (pyyny@twitter)
Webmaster

3519.12.2006 9:22

the system AD uses has yet to disappoint, dRD. you guys run the site very well, and i can't wait to see new work from a new staff member :-)

3619.12.2006 9:32

I do wish that you would tell us that we have been eliminated from contention so that we are not in the dark, is that a fair request?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Dec 2006 @ 9:32

3719.12.2006 10:43

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Nobody has been eliminated yet. We have reviewed virtually all of the applications so far will draft a top 10 or so list of the applicants going to the second round before Xmas and will contact those directly. We _try_ to email also all the applicants who didn't make it to the second round by the end of the year. Hoping to finish the selection process by first or second week of January and will announce the new team members then. Received something like 150 applications.

Petteri Pyyny (pyyny@twitter)
Webmaster

3819.12.2006 11:57

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Thank you drd, I only mention this becuase last time around, I didnt know I was eliminated until Lethal and Dave were given the postitions :)

3928.1.2007 0:15
xhardc0re

OK so when do we find out who the lucky weiners are?? :)