AfterDawn: Tech news

Wii is least used gaming console, says Nielsen

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 10 Apr 2009 21:00 User comments (37)

Wii is least used gaming console, says Nielsen According to new data from Nielson, the Nintendo Wii is the least used gaming console in the US, despite having, by far, the most sales of any "next-gen" system.
For the month of December 2008, the Wii had an average use of just 5 days, compared to 6.8 for the Sony PS3 and 7.1 for the Xbox 360.

In terms of minutes, average usage for the Wii is 58 minutes per session, while the PS3 clocks in at 64 and the 360 at 78 minutes.

The report also collected data on last generation systems such as the original Xbox, the GameCube and the PS2, and says the Wii and GameCube show similar numbers.

"Predominant users of the Wii and GameCube are likely to use these consoles at most once a week and for fewer minutes and the fewest number of sessions compared to the other two groups of consoles," notes the report.

The survey collected data from 17,000 US households.

You can view the PDF here.

Previous Next  

37 user comments

110.4.2009 21:35

I would guess this has something to do with online FPS games like COD and Gaylo

210.4.2009 21:39

If it is the least used, then why is it so popular ?


Life is Grand !

310.4.2009 21:55

Well, like they say, quality over quantity. ;-)

410.4.2009 22:42

so,what,is it like the home gym i bought years ago?buy it and leave it.lol

510.4.2009 22:57

I believe the end of Nintendo is coming... They seem to keep coming out with these consoles that are cheap and all, offer good ideas and whatever, but there are very few games to back them up. Regardless of the price, eventually people just aren't gonna buy them because they'll just assume they are garbage

610.4.2009 23:40

17,000 households is enough to make this claim. Thats not even 1% of the Wii's sold. Being a Wii and a XBOX 360 owner I think I play both of them quite equally between me and my wife. I have friends that have both and some prefer the 360 over the Wii and some prefer the Wii over the 360. In fact out of all my friends and family I only know one that has a PS3 so maybe that is the least used console.

The Wii has some shortcomings and they have plenty of mediocre games but there are also some really good exclusive games and the games that are for all systems are not the watered down versions you used to see on previous generation Nintendo Consoles. I think everybody will be suprised at the Wii's successor.

710.4.2009 23:46

its the least used because a whole lot of the people buying them aren't gamers, its kind of like becoming a house accessory now for rich people, kinda like how rich women carry around their tiny dogs in gucci bags



810.4.2009 23:48

Originally posted by stuntman_:
its the least used because a whole lot of the people buying them aren't gamers, its kind of like becoming a house accessory now for rich people, kinda like how rich women carry around their tiny dogs in gucci bags
I will partially agree with that. My mother got one and so did my sister. While they do not play it everyday they do make time a couple times a week. The Wii is not for everyone just like certain games are not for everyone.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ~ Roy Trenneman

http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

910.4.2009 23:53

what sucks about the wii is that it has so much potential but because its becoming the accessory that it is, the same crappy games come out for it where all you do is flick your wrist and a character moves the wii has so much more to it than just waggling the remote. More innovative and fun games need to come out for it and I am hoping this happens when the true motion plus comes out

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Apr 2009 @ 11:47

1010.4.2009 23:56

Originally posted by stuntman_:
what sucks about the wii is that it has so much potential but because its becoming the accessory that it is, the same crappy games come out for it where all you do is flick your wrist and a character moves the wii has so much more to it than just waggling the remote. More innovative and fun games need to come out for it and I am hoping this happens when the true motion plus comes out
That I also agree with. There are very few games that are using the motion controller properly. Some do a very good job but the unending array of mini-games is getting old. That is why I said I think people will be suprised at the Wii's successor. Nintendo always has something up their sleeve so you can never count them outt of the game (no pun intended).
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Apr 2009 @ 11:47

1110.4.2009 23:57

Originally posted by bobiroc:
17,000 households is enough to make this claim. Thats not even 1% of the Wii's sold. Being a Wii and a XBOX 360 owner I think I play both of them quite equally between me and my wife. I have friends that have both and some prefer the 360 over the Wii and some prefer the Wii over the 360. In fact out of all my friends and family I only know one that has a PS3 so maybe that is the least used console.

The Wii has some shortcomings and they have plenty of mediocre games but there are also some really good exclusive games and the games that are for all systems are not the watered down versions you used to see on previous generation Nintendo Consoles. I think everybody will be suprised at the Wii's successor.
Amen! Numbers are always twisted to favor whatever opinion you're trying to make.

As for the PS3, since it's the most expensive and least sold, I would hope those that were hardcore enough to buy it (especially in it's infancy) do use it... or any console, as it's a waste of money to not use it!

I think the Wii will get more use now, since they have a "fix" for the storage capacity with the new firmware allowing use of the SD Card for Channel loading.

1211.4.2009 0:01

I use my PS3 more than anything but usually not for games, I use it for blu ray and streaming media

1311.4.2009 0:21

Quote:
Originally posted by bobiroc:
17,000 households is enough to make this claim. Thats not even 1% of the Wii's sold. Being a Wii and a XBOX 360 owner I think I play both of them quite equally between me and my wife. I have friends that have both and some prefer the 360 over the Wii and some prefer the Wii over the 360. In fact out of all my friends and family I only know one that has a PS3 so maybe that is the least used console.

The Wii has some shortcomings and they have plenty of mediocre games but there are also some really good exclusive games and the games that are for all systems are not the watered down versions you used to see on previous generation Nintendo Consoles. I think everybody will be suprised at the Wii's successor.
Amen! Numbers are always twisted to favor whatever opinion you're trying to make.

As for the PS3, since it's the most expensive and least sold, I would hope those that were hardcore enough to buy it (especially in it's infancy) do use it... or any console, as it's a waste of money to not use it!

I think the Wii will get more use now, since they have a "fix" for the storage capacity with the new firmware allowing use of the SD Card for Channel loading.
Along with that Nintendo does seem to have their customers in mind when they make their products. As an owner of every nintendo system (except the handhelds) since the NES over the year their customer service has been outstanding and I have never had a bit of trouble with their systems. I enjoy my XBOX as well but they do have a track record of failed systems. Sony makes a fine product as well but sometimes I think they have their own agenda at heart and not what the customers want. While the PS3 graphics are stunning but so are XBOX's at 1080i/p. Between my Wii and 360 I can play any game except maybe the few PS3 exclusives which I can live without.

1411.4.2009 0:30

I think it's very sad that so many Wii owners are neglecting this console. The Wii has the weakest gaming library compared to 360 and PS3 and that's the main reason why I'm not getting one but I bet I could keep myself occupied even with a Wii. There are some great games on that console. It's just that 360 and PS3 have a lot more.

I think the "new gamer" market Wii has created is to blame. They are the types that buy the system for Wiisports, Wiiplay, Wiifit, etc. and then let the system collect dust when they are bored. There are a number of solid games on the Wii that this demographic won't touch. That's why third-party developers are either scared of the Wii or don't feel it's worth it to put in the effort and resources to make more solid games instead of shovelware.

1511.4.2009 2:03
H08
Inactive

i could of told you this just by looking at the amount of dust gathering on mine......... i kid, i kid. Its actually back in its box and being sold on ebay .

1611.4.2009 4:47

Originally posted by bryston:
If it is the least used, then why is it so popular ?
Basically because everyone wants one until they find out there or only like 5 games worth having. There is only so much you can do when you get bored with wii sports. I packed mine up over a month ago to take to a friends house. When i got there we never even took it out of the carrying case. It's still in there now. I play xbox and ps3 more than anything.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Apr 2009 @ 4:49

1711.4.2009 7:33
ak472009
Inactive

anybody who might be having either ps3 and xbox 360, is also having a wii as a optional console because it provides new games and new way of playing the games and if you a gamer you might buy yourself ps3 or x360 because of adult gasmes ,but you might buy for your girlfreind or a kid a wii so that you can family games with them

1811.4.2009 8:11
pphoenix
Inactive

Q, how did they obtain the sample date from the 17,000 ppl involved in this test?


As a question does anyone know the attach ratios for the consoles?

I would say in first place

Ps2
360
wii
ps3

any date regarding this?

1911.4.2009 8:25

This study sounds about right. I have a Wii and PS3 and hardly even play the Wii unless I have several people over and they want to play Wii Sports. The game library just isn't there. The big Wii console sales numbers have come from people who don't usually play games anyway. They just play Wii Sports or Wii Fit and ignore everything else. Even my mother bought a Wii with Wii Fit and she played it alot when she first got it but now it just collects dust.

I can believe the PS3 numbers because anyone who shelled out $400 or more for a game console is likely to use it a lot. The 360 sells games like crazy. Most of my friends with 360s buy almost every new major release that comes out.

2011.4.2009 9:30

That's because most people buy the Wii then head off to either the Xbox or the PS3.

This is the same with me and ALL my friends.

2111.4.2009 11:20

I personally own xbox 360 a nintendo wii and ps3. I use ps3 for online gaming and 360 for offline gaming and wii never use maybe play it like one time every two weeks wii games are just not good and I own like 100 wii games. Wii needs better graphics and better games then would probably play more

2211.4.2009 12:13

duh

2311.4.2009 12:13

Originally posted by ace2001:
I personally own xbox 360 a nintendo wii and ps3. I use ps3 for online gaming and 360 for offline gaming and wii never use maybe play it like one time every two weeks wii games are just not good and I own like 100 wii games. Wii needs better graphics and better games then would probably play more
Agreed... Soon I'll have a PS3, 360 and a Wii. My Wii just sits there while my PS3 does everything from tuning my guitar to killing people but when I buy a 360, the PS3 will be used for exclusives and I will mod my 360 and burn all the horrible EA multiplatform games, like Godfather II. EA is really making improvements with probably their worst game ever (4.5/10 from Gamespot, how depressing).

2411.4.2009 12:15

this isn't a surprise. everyone i know who owns a wii says they never play it. but with some it's due to lack of personal time, while for most its due to the crappy games and they're bored with it.
they bought into the fad; then the novelty of motion controls wears off and that's all the wii has to offer. now some of them wish they had bought a real gaming system.

2511.4.2009 14:53

The study is probably accurate. Everyone I know that got one a couple of years ago has gotten rid of them or doesn't use them at all. The only games I purchased retail are Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Zelda Crossbow and Mario Kart. When I go to the store all I see is crap for both the Wii and DS. I bought a good many games for the Virtual Console, but the library for that in the US is a joke compared to what they have to choose from in Japan. They trickle out a couple of games per week and most of what they release makes you wonder if anyone is even thinking when they make the decisions as to what to release. Nintendo in 2009 is nothing like the Nintendo back in the NES, SNES era. Shigeru Miyamoto, Howard Lincoln and former President Hiroshi Yamauchi are what made Nintendo great and their absence is very noticable. Miyamoto is still there but if he's developing games, I sure as hell can't tell.

Bottom line is Nintendo needs to create a powerful console on par with the next generation systems being developed by Sony and Microsoft so they will be able to convince developers to make games for them. Clamping down on Quality next time around is a must as well!

2611.4.2009 17:24

It really bothers me when everyone has this stigma of the Wii "collecting dust" and being a "fad". The real problem is that there are too many players in the console wars right now. Two is ideal, but three's company if you get my drift.

As said above, someone said about using their PS3 primarily for Blu-Ray and streaming media. Maybe that's why the Wii collects dust, because it doesn't have enough fancy bells and whistles... wait a second... does it really matter if it's sold as a GAMING CONSOLE?

I truly believe that gaming is in a rut industry wide. It's the same as Hollywood movies or the music industry. Let's churn out the same crap. Boy bands, teen pop stars, multi-million dollar sequel upon sequel, reality tv, etc. Hitting the nail on the head yet?

Everyone went crazy over Halo 3, but there was no real improvements over Halo 2, which itself only added Xbox Live and dual weilding to the original. Hell, the majority of textures, weapons, enemies, etc. were all the same! (Sorry Halo fanboys, that's just an example. I could go on and on about Madden 2000 and X, GTA with a new theme, or Tony Hawk "whatever".)

Bottom line is developers aren't taking chances because gaming is fetching big dollars, and it costs big dollars to publish titles nowadays. I'm finding more enjoyment in downloadable games, via Live Arcade or WiiWare/VC store. The games are cheaper, accessible to anyone with a network connection, and take bigger chances on being original (Lit, World of Goo, Lost Wind, etc.)

2711.4.2009 23:21

I don't think it's because of the crowded console war. The main Wii demographic, families with children, are unlikely to own a 360 or PS3. And it's this demographic that is responsible for this console collecting dust. They want the Wiisports, Wiiplay, Wiifit, Mario Kart, etc. and then let the thing collect dust when the novelty wears off.

As for downloadable games, they're fun but I don't like DRM so I'm gunshy about buying them. With DRM, it feels like you don't really own the thing. I've heard of some issues in the past of 360 owners losing access to their purchased Arcade games and that's pretty messed up being locked out of your property like that. You also cant resell downloaded games if the game ends up disappointing you. And Indie devs would be better off releasing on the PC as they traditionally do instead of the current trend of releasing on Live Arcade or Wiiware. The PC is an open platform with a large install base and cheaper to develop for. Great platform for indie devs. Great to see that Braid arrived on the PC recently.

2812.4.2009 4:09

Wii is the non gamers system! Hard core gamers will play their ps3 or 360 all the time, the Wii is for a casual gamer & that's exactly what the numbers show! Casual usage! isn't that what they wanted? to get the casual gamer involved? playing 5 hours or what ever that # was is more than they played before! it is a totally different demographic! Gamers come home & play games with their time & in the spare time other stuff is done, Casual gamers come home, do household stuff & if time allows they will pop in a game for a few minutes! I know as my daughter is getting older i am finding less time to pay video games in general! I have a 360, wii & play WOW! I rarely play the Wii, the 360 gets DVD player usage & minor Rock band usage,. My WOW acct gets touched for a few hours on the weekend, 2 years ago i would stay up will 5am playing WOW while my wife may have played summin else, or i would play burnout for hours on end!

2912.4.2009 6:46

Originally posted by inagasake:
I don't think it's because of the crowded console war. The main Wii demographic, families with children, are unlikely to own a 360 or PS3. And it's this demographic that is responsible for this console collecting dust. They want the Wiisports, Wiiplay, Wiifit, Mario Kart, etc. and then let the thing collect dust when the novelty wears off.

As for downloadable games, they're fun but I don't like DRM so I'm gunshy about buying them. With DRM, it feels like you don't really own the thing. I've heard of some issues in the past of 360 owners losing access to their purchased Arcade games and that's pretty messed up being locked out of your property like that. You also cant resell downloaded games if the game ends up disappointing you. And Indie devs would be better off releasing on the PC as they traditionally do instead of the current trend of releasing on Live Arcade or Wiiware. The PC is an open platform with a large install base and cheaper to develop for. Great platform for indie devs. Great to see that Braid arrived on the PC recently.
I don't like the DRM either. Too much control on their end and as you said no second hand selling. The days of letting a friend borrow a game or taking a game over to their house to play is coming to an end.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Apr 2009 @ 6:46

3013.4.2009 0:55

Quote:
Agreed... Soon I'll have a PS3, 360 and a Wii. My Wii just sits there while my PS3 does everything from tuning my guitar to killing people but when I buy a 360, the PS3 will be used for exclusives and I will mod my 360 and burn all the horrible EA multiplatform games, like Godfather II. EA is really making improvements with probably their worst game ever (4.5/10 from Gamespot, how depressing).
If you don't like the games then why are you gonna waste your time modding the 360 and playing those games?

3113.4.2009 9:53

Quote:
If you don't like the games then why are you gonna waste your time modding the 360 and playing those games?
I'm just kidding lol

I definitely wouldn't waste my bandwidth on that game. I'm just saying though, there are ok good games out there that are worth playing but not worth $60 or $70. Like Rainbow 6 Vegas 2. If you already had the first one, there was no real point in spending $60 for the second one because it was the same thing, but it was still worth a play(but not for $60 lol).

3213.4.2009 21:26

Originally posted by stuntman_:
I use my PS3 more than anything but usually not for games, I use it for blu ray and streaming media
Agreed, I do the exact same thing. I have TWO PS3's, I the second one off of E-Bay for cheap just to put in a spare bedroom as a media hub for streaming movies. I don't think I've ever played an actual game on my 2nd PS3, and outside of Guitar Hero World Tour, my first PS3 rarely sees games....but it does see tons of movies and music on the hard-drive.

3314.4.2009 10:56
obla
Inactive

As much of a huge playstation fan that I am, I SERIOUSLY don't believe that the Wii is the least played console. I just can't buy that. And yes, Wii games do suck BIG TIME, but come on. The Wii has sold like hot cakes. I just can't believe that finding. Something's not right. However, I do believe that the PS2 continues to be the most played console, regardless of the huge popularity of the Wii and 360. That said, I do believe that the PS2 and Wii are neck and neck in play time, my personal opinion.

3414.4.2009 12:54

Originally posted by obla:
As much of a huge playstation fan that I am, I SERIOUSLY don't believe that the Wii is the least played console. I just can't buy that. And yes, Wii games do suck BIG TIME, but come on. The Wii has sold like hot cakes. I just can't believe that finding. Something's not right. However, I do believe that the PS2 continues to be the most played console, regardless of the huge popularity of the Wii and 360. That said, I do believe that the PS2 and Wii are neck and neck in play time, my personal opinion.
You just answered the question..

Quote:
And yes, Wii games do suck BIG TIME
Take it into consideration that still, their best game is the game that comes with the system and even so, it tends to get stale and boring. You've got to incorporate games like WiiFit into it also, which doesn't require all day to enjoy it.

3514.4.2009 13:21

Wiisports is not the only good game for the Wii. The wii's library is pretty good. Just nowhere as good as 360 and PS3. Just look through the list. http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/ The library is really not that bad. You're bound to find stuff you like if you give it a chance.

3615.4.2009 10:30
obla
Inactive

Originally posted by xblade132:
Originally posted by obla:
As much of a huge playstation fan that I am, I SERIOUSLY don't believe that the Wii is the least played console. I just can't buy that. And yes, Wii games do suck BIG TIME, but come on. The Wii has sold like hot cakes. I just can't believe that finding. Something's not right. However, I do believe that the PS2 continues to be the most played console, regardless of the huge popularity of the Wii and 360. That said, I do believe that the PS2 and Wii are neck and neck in play time, my personal opinion.


You just answered the question..


I don't understand your statement that I "answered the question". What are you talking about? I don't see any question anywhere.

.

3715.4.2009 13:44

All my systems collect dust, dust is a common thing unless you have air purifiers or dust control units. I've found dusting with damp clothes removes the dust just fine.

Wii is for family / friends / parties if you have none of those then yes the system will go unused. Yes there are limited games for the system, but with adequate drinking any game will be fun... Ok maybe just Mario Kart and Wii Sports.

PS3 generally used for movies / blu-ray. If someone has PS3 and 360 the games would most likely be bought for Xbox360. Xbox has the largest library of games and the better online experience.

Broad polls like this one are not effective at actual statistics.

If they questioned 17000 gamers from each system and also asked how much of those hours were played online, would give a better understanding and reason for why a certain system out performs another.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive