No more Wii price cuts in the near future, says Nintendo

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 07 Oct 2009 18:11 User comments (8)

No more Wii price cuts in the near future, says Nintendo Nintendo America president Reggie Fils-Aime has said today that the company will not be dropping the price of the Wii console anytime soon, following the company's recent $50 price cut on the system.
"We say that based on the experience of launching the Nintendo DSi this past April, we've already sold 2.2 million units, so we're feeling very good about the holiday," Fils-Aime noted, via GI.biz."We define value as what you get for what you pay. With Wii - with the USD 50 price drop - you're getting a lot more value."

Wii sales were recently up in Japan following the price cut, as much as 300 percent. American and European numbers will not be out for a few weeks.

No other price cut is in the card though. "We lasted 34 months without having to cut the price. We were able to reach over 20 million consumers here in the US at USD 249. The next group of consumers we will get at this USD 199 price point, and we've already seen very strong results after just one week on the marketplace," he concluded.

17.10.2009 19:47
pphoenix

i live in the UK & as far as i'm aware we never got any price cut, the price has actually gone from 179.95 to 199.99, go figure!

dam corporations constantly beat on us.

28.10.2009 3:22

I wouldn't expect a price cut anyway. It's a pretty good price right now.

38.10.2009 9:09

I have a Wii, I don't plug it in but thats a issue between me and my girlfriend. Point is don't buy a Wii

48.10.2009 11:49

make it 150 world wide you ninny's!

58.10.2009 16:59

Originally posted by bam431:
I didn't understand how you arrived at your conclusion... or why you're not plugging your Wii in (to the Internet?).

As long as they remain the cheap alternative to other consoles, people will float towards buying a Wii before the other two. I wouldn't even buy a 360 if it wasn't the elite version. I don't want a PS3 without backwards compatibility. I also don't want my Wii to keep collecting dust, but it is. :)

68.10.2009 17:11

Originally posted by bam431:

WII,girlfriend, plugging in, its a joke son!

78.10.2009 21:13

Originally posted by bam431:

WII,girlfriend, plugging in, its a joke son!

See he gets it.

88.10.2009 21:15

Originally posted by bam431:

WII,girlfriend, plugging in, its a joke son!

See he gets it.