PS3 game attach rate closes in on Xbox 360's

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 15 May 2010 18:21 User comments (7)

PS3 game attach rate closes in on Xbox 360's According to PlayStation University, the PlayStation 3 software attach rate is creeping in on the Xbox 360's, threatening to kill off the old adage that games simply do not sell on the Sony console.
Despite a lower install base, software sales for the PS3 were significantly higher than that of the Xbox 360 in the fiscal 2009, 115.6 million to 103.1 million. The fiscal year runs from May until the end of April.

The new results put lifetime software sales at 290.5 million, still well below the 360's 353.8 million, but catching up quickly.

At 35.7 million PS3 units sold, that puts the attach rate at 8.1. The 360 has 40.2 million lifetime sales, for an attach rate of 8.8.

Both those numbers are higher than the Nintendo Wii, with a 7.7 attach rate, despite much larger hardware and software sales. All three pale in comparison to the aging PS2, which has been out since 2000 and still has a remarkable 10.3 attach rate.

Topics Consoles

More news

Related news

116.5.2010 6:06

PS3 is awesome

216.5.2010 14:28

PS2....Best there was, Best there is, Best there ever will be!
( I am a fanboy!)

316.5.2010 21:39

Originally posted by NHS2008:
PS2....Best there was, Best there is, Best there ever will be!
( I am a fanboy!)
never had one. never will. wasnt that great a console in my opinion ,andi m not asking to fight over it its just my opinion. so spare me the ranting about ohw many people still buy it etcetera lol

417.5.2010 2:58

I had lots of PS2's...6 or 7 at least...GT4 burned them up so fast! I still have three of them...but one does not work at all, one only plays games via the network, and the last one has no freemcboot support.

I am glad that the PS3 has been better to me...the main selling point of the PS3 is the fact that (unlike a PC) I don't have to spend $300 on hardware every other month.

520.5.2010 15:49
89liver
Unverified new user

Originally posted by Josipher:
Originally posted by NHS2008:
PS2....Best there was, Best there is, Best there ever will be!
( I am a fanboy!)
If you don't like it then why spend your time ranting about this in the first place? It's YOU who should leave us alone!

621.5.2010 11:17

I'm surprised that the Xbox 360 attach rate is that high given that you know...

722.9.2010 8:14