Xbox 360 mandatory update comes Monday

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 01 Nov 2010 0:53 User comments (13)

Xbox 360 mandatory update comes Monday According to an e-mail sent to subscribers of the Xbox Live service, a mandatory Dashboard update for the Xbox 360 console is due to be pushed out on Monday.
Failing to install the update will make using the Xbox Live service impossible until the update is applied. "On November 1, 2010, there will be a mandatory service update to Xbox LIVE," the message reads. "This update will both add new features to your service and also enhance the interface, navigation, and responsiveness of Xbox LIVE."

A major update for the Xbox 360 Dashboard had been expected before the November launch of the Kinect motion control system for the console, and many users are already using a beta of the update.

"The time required to complete the update will vary based on your Internet connection speed. However, for most users, the update will require between 5 and 10 minutes to complete. You will not be able to use your Xbox 360 console while the update is processing," the message reads.

11.11.2010 3:41

An update that does something other than remove features? They need to teach Sony a few things about customer relations.

21.11.2010 7:08
davidike

forced updates are not welcome.

31.11.2010 11:53

Well the update is out now, anyone know if this update will interfere with modded consoles?

41.11.2010 12:16

Originally posted by biglo30:
It is always good to assume it will until you know different....

Just my $0.02,

dEwMe

51.11.2010 15:57

i updated at lunch no problem. im running lt and have played a couple of pre released backups. i wasnt banned. i even played a couple of matches of mw2 just to see if it was going to take a few minutes, but im ok so far. ill let u know how things are looking after i get off work.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Nov 2010 @ 16:02

61.11.2010 16:09

So if I don't update, will this mean that I won't be able to play future games? because I don't really use xbox live anyway. I will go and do some research on this...

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Nov 2010 @ 16:46

71.11.2010 17:23

from my understanding, you should be able to play new games, just not online

82.11.2010 0:19

Originally posted by biglo30:
I don't know. I know Nintendo has done it before so that you have to update your console to play certain things, but I dunno how Microsoft rolls.

92.11.2010 1:20

Originally posted by KillerBug:
I thought xbox was from microsoft not from sony... wasn't it like microsoft response to play station?

102.11.2010 2:55

Originally posted by hglez86:
Originally posted by KillerBug:
OOh god... we are really full of dumb people aren't we? He says: THEY (as in MS Xbox 360) need to teach sony a few things.... He never said xbox was a SONY console.

112.11.2010 11:22

Originally posted by Azlyrix:
Originally posted by hglez86:
Originally posted by KillerBug:

lol don't we just love the people who read...

123.11.2010 17:58

and it wasn't good enough to just explain what i didn't understand right? you had to go all the way out of your way and say all the dumb stuff you could... kudos to you X_x

X_x

136.11.2010 16:08

The dashboard is snappier now, it just looks like crud with all those square edges. Shame they didn't have square-o-vision before and switch to the older interface now. Ah well at least it's snappy i guess.

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***