PlayStation 4 can stream PS3 games, reports say

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 16 Feb 2013 19:50 User comments (11)

PlayStation 4 can stream PS3 games, reports say Sony will provide backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 (PS3) games by supporting streaming them to the console, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Last July, Sony acquired Gaikai in a deal worth $380 million, which led to speculation that the PlayStation 3 would be able to stream game demoes and possibly older PS2 games from the service.

According to a WSJ report, Sony has decided to support streaming of PS3 games to the PS4 console, using the technology acquired from Gaikai. This will allow Sony to offer a level of backwards compatibility, rather than having to include extra hardware in the PS4, or work on complicated software emulation.

Sony is expected to highlight the support for streaming when it reveals the PlayStaion 4 (PS4) in New York on Wednesday, February 20.

Tags: Sony PS4

More news

Related news

117.2.2013 2:12

I assume this means I'll have to buy or relicense all of my ps2 and ps3 games again? The hell with that. I'll just stick the old consoles until I absolutely need a ps4.. at which point I'll have 3 systems connected to my tv.

217.2.2013 4:37

and then when you've paid a fortune to relicense them sony will disable the ability to use them via a mandatory firmware update

317.2.2013 9:26

Only three?

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

417.2.2013 20:33

I already know my next pc will support my games without needing to repurchase, and without an internet connection in many cases. It will even support games released in the Atari era....as well as atari games. Sony is such a scam.

518.2.2013 9:33

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Only three?
Three is all I'll need. Everything else is emulated on my xbmc system.

618.2.2013 9:52

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Only three?
Three is all I'll need. Everything else is emulated on my xbmc system.
Fair enough.

Getting an OUYA?

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-

718.2.2013 11:00

Originally posted by KillerBug:
yes im not in a hurry to jump into PS4,,Ill wait CFW still works for me

microsoft after a ban wave

818.2.2013 12:51

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Only three?
Three is all I'll need. Everything else is emulated on my xbmc system.
Anyone make a good Xbox emulator yet?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Feb 2013 @ 12:52

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations

918.2.2013 19:29

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Originally posted by Jemborg:
Only three?
Three is all I'll need. Everything else is emulated on my xbmc system.
Fair enough.

Getting an OUYA?
Well damn, four consoles then. :D Forgot about the OUYA.

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Originally posted by Jemborg:
Only three?
Three is all I'll need. Everything else is emulated on my xbmc system.
Anyone make a good Xbox emulator yet?
Surprisingly unless someone has just been building one for a private community and keeping it under wraps to avoid cease and desist orders from microsoft there is a major lack of xbox emulators out there. A few early emus that ceased production almost immediately are out there and one that only runs Halo, but aside from them that whole scene is desolate.

--aaron

1019.2.2013 1:05

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Originally posted by Jemborg:
Only three?
Three is all I'll need. Everything else is emulated on my xbmc system.
Fair enough.

Getting an OUYA?
Well damn, four consoles then. :D Forgot about the OUYA.

Good on you mate. Regards.

PS: Been playing a beta version of "Volgarr" set to be on the OUYA and it's kick-ass old-school hard. It's not exclusive to it but it's a promising start for the "people's console". I hope my hands last. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Feb 2013 @ 1:15

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-

1119.2.2013 3:23

I've got a Wii. Hooray!! for me.

ZX Spectrum 128K