Version history for SMPlayer
Changes for 220.127.116.1101 Beta - v14.9.0
- Fix for Youtube.
- New option to shut down the computer when playback has finished.
- The themes and skin icons are loaded from resource files (*.rcc).
- New fix for searching subtitles from opensubtitles.org that should return more results.
Changes for v0.8.6 - v14.3.0
- Possibility to play (non-protected) blu-ray discs.
- The control for fullscreen mode has been rewritten and improved. Now it is displayed over the video.
- (Windows) New option in Preferences -> Subtitles to enable or disable the use of the Windows font directory. Disabling this option prevents the annoying font scanning.
- Some presets have been added to the audio equalizer.
- Better support for multimedia keys. This can help control SMPlayer with a remote control.
- The option "Move the window when the video area is dragged" has been fixed.
- (Windows) Now it's possible to open Windows shortcuts (symlinks).
- Better support for Youtube encrypted signatures.
- (Windows) Better screensaver disabling.
- Many bugfixes.
- Possibility to compile with Qt 5.
Changes for v0.8.5.5592 (development version) - v0.8.6
- SMPlayer can now update its internal Youtube code from internet so it's not necessary to update smplayer everytime Youtube makes a change.
- A section "Updates" has been added to the preferences dialog, where it's possible to configure or disable the update checker.
- SMPlayer could still fail to find some subtitles from opensubtitles.org. Hopefully this is fixed.
- (Windows) The autoload of subtitles with non latin1 filenames has been fixed.
- The Windows installer gives the possibility to delete most of the configuration files of smplayer. This can be useful if the configuration files have been corrupted or smplayer has been misconfigured. Linux users can use the command "smplayer -delete-config".
- Several other bugfixes. See the Changelog for details.
Changes for v0.8.4 - v0.8.5
- Due to changes in opensubtitles.org, smplayer couldn't find subtitles anymore. This has been fixed.
- The interface with support for skins is now the default.
- An option to enter url(s) in the playlist has been added.
- The options to change the size of the main window work now even if the autoresize is set to never.
- Two new options for Audio -> Stereo mode: Mono and Reverse.
- The option "Move the window when the video area is dragged" is now disabled by default because it has some issues that need to be addressed.
- (Linux) The problem with mplayer2 and the -fontconfig option has been fixed (sort of).
- New translation: Malay.
- Some configuration options are changed to new defaults after installation to ease upgrade from old versions.
Changes for v0.8.3.5228 Beta - v0.8.4
- New option to select the fps for external subtitles.
- The video equalizer dialog has been rewritten.
- Now smplayer checks for updates automatically and notifies the user if a new version is found.
- Support for encoding ISO-8859-16 for subtitles.
- New translations: Thai and Hebrew.
- Some bugfixes.
Changes for v0.8.2 - v0.8.3
- Fix for Youtube playback
Changes for v0.8.1 - v0.8.2
- A skinnable interface has been added. Several skins are included.
- Support for 6.1 and 7.1 audio output.
- A "Privacy" section in the preferences dialog has been added. You can disable saving the recent files or URLs.
- The main window can be moved by dragging the video area.
- Fix for a freeze that may happen on Windows XP.
Changes for v0.8.1.4461 Beta - v0.8.1.4704 Beta
- Test a beta of the upcoming version 0.8.2. Features: new skins and a new mplayer build with a lot of fixes.
- In case you find any problem, please report it in
Changes for v0.7.1 - v0.8.0
- A toolbar editor has been added. Now it's possible to select the buttons and controls that want to appear in the toolbars.
- New video filters: gradfun, blur and sharpen.
- Now it's possible to change the GUI (default, mini, mpc) at runtime, no restart required.
- sub files from opensubtitles should work again.
- (Youtube) Recognize short urls (like this one: http://y2u.be/F5OcZBVPwOA)
- Better support for chapters in video files.
- Bug fix: remote m3u files work from the favorites menu or command line.
- Internal changes in the single instance option (switch to QtSingleApplication).
Changes for v0.7.0 - v0.7.1
- This version includes some bug fixes, some of them important. It's highly recommended to update.
- SMPlayer took more than 10 seconds to show when running for the very first time.
- The links to download subtitles from Opensubtitles were wrong.
- SMPlayer crashed in the favorite editor when trying to select a file if the KDE open dialog was used.
- Some translations were missing in the Windows package.
- By default the screenshots are saved in the user's pictures folder instead of the SMPlayer's config folder.
- Now it's possible to change the opensubtitles server.
- Youtube: seeking is slow with flv videos, so now flv videos have the lowest priority.
- Youtube: now it's possible to search and download videos from youtube. This is provided by an external application (in linux you have to install an independent package: smtube).
Changes for v0.6.10 - v0.7.0
- New favorite menu, where you can add your favorite videos, music, streams, youtube videos... It's also possible to add submenus.
- Support for youtube. Now you can open urls like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=..... using the Open -> URL dialog or dragging a link from a browser to the smplayer window.
- Support for mplayer2 (http://www.mplayer2.org). It's a fork of mplayer with interesting features like precise seeking, ordered chapters in mkv videos and better pause handling (e.g. seek works while the video is paused).
- New translation: croatian.
Changes for v0.6.9 - v0.6.9.3611 Beta
- This installer has multiple MPlayer builds available, as opposed to just one:
- Generic (Utilizes runtime CPU detection)
- FFmpeg-mt, multithreaded builds for both AMD and Intel processors to take advantage of more than one core.
- This installer is also experimental, may be buggy. Please provide feedback to the following thread: http://smplayer.berlios.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=149 to iron out any bugs or imporve the installer.
Changes for v0.6.8 - v0.6.9
- A serious bug has been fixed: sometimes smplayer failed to find subtitles in opensubtitles.org.
- Implemented the possibility to mark an A-B section, to play a part of the file only.
- (Linux) smplayer doesn't use alsa as default audio driver anymore. It should fix freezing problems on Ubuntu.
- Possibility to display the video resolution and frames per second in the status bar.
- Audio: selection of left or right channel does work now.
- (Linux) Improved support for vdpau.
Changes for v0.6.6 - v0.6.7
- Added experimental (and uncomplete) support for dvd menus. Requires a mplayer build compiled with dvdnav support. Please read dvdmenus.txt to know how to enable it.
- Now loading an external subtitle file doesn't require to restart the mplayer process (except for idx/sub subtitles).
- (Playlist) When a file is added to the playlist, if it was already in the list, it's moved to the end of the list.
- Options for mplayer: finally spaces in arguments between quotes are handled properly.
- Added two options (in the audio and subtitle menus) to allow the user to enter the audio and subtitle delay (in milliseconds).
- (ASS subtitles) The outline and shadow options now accept values with decimals.
- (ASS subtitles) Possibility to change the color of the border and shadow.
- Now the default value for the "correct pts" option is auto.
- (Windows) Now the screensaver is allowed to turn on if the file is paused or it's an audio file.
- (Windows) The direct3d video output is now the default for Windows Vista.
Changes for v0.6.5.1 - v0.6.6
- Added an option to generate a preview (thumbnails) of the video.
- Added a new gui (mpcgui, a media player classic clone) developed by Matthias Petri.
- Added some auto zoom options, to display the video without black borders.
- Implemented a new (and optional) method to save the file settings. This method uses an ini file per each played file. It's faster than the old one.
- Added a new option in Preferences->Video: add black borders on fullscreen. If this option is enabled, black borders will be added to the image in fullscreen mode. This allows subtitles to be displayed on the black borders.
- Increased the resolution of the seekbar. Allows a more accurate seeking.
- Added 3 modes for the stay on top option: always, never and while playing.
- Added a history to the open URL dialog.
- Added new action to cycle through all aspect ratios. Assigned by default to key "A".
- It's possible to run some specified actions every time a file is loaded.
- Possibility to set up a proxy for internet connections (used for subtitle downloading).
Changes for v0.6.3.1 - v0.6.4
- Now the dialog to find subtitles can also download the subtitle file and load it in smplayer automatically.
- (Linux) The black screen problem when using Compiz should really be fixed now.
- Added support for encoding autodetection for subtitle files. Requires a mplayer compiled with enca support.
- (Linux) Now it's possible to choose the audio device to be used with alsa (needs the application "aplay").
- (Windows) Now it's possible to choose the audio device to be used with dsound.
- (Windows) The menu Video->Screen displays now the actual available screens with their names.
- Added the possibility to add consecutive files (video_01.avi, video_02.avi..) automatically to the playlist.
- Bugfix: logout is not cancelled by smplayer.
- Now the options in preferences display a tooltip with a help message.
- Now it's possible to change the video track.
- Added the Galician translation.
Changes for v0.6.2 - v0.6.3
- Two fixes for Windows Vista. Now IPv4 is used by default (connection to networks are faster). And now it really uses "gl:yuv=2:force-pbo:ati-hack" as the default video output driver. Note: this mode could give problems with some graphic cards (specially ATI), if you experience any, try the other gl variants, or just directx.
- (Linux) Added a fix for a black screen problem when using Compiz.
- Added an option to select the number of threads that mplayer will use for decoding (only works for MPEG-1/2 and some H.264 videos).
- Added the possibility to disable the audio equalizer. Seems to be necessary to use the S/PDIF output.
- Added some options to increase/decrease the speed by 1% and 4%. This allows to play 24 fps movies at 25 fps speed and vice versa.
- Fix: sometimes the playlist is not shown. Added a workaround for the problem.
- Added some checks to avoid crashes when selecting subtitle tracks.
- (Windows) Added a new submenu Video->Screen to select the screen which will display the video when using directx.
- The settings in smplayer.ini have been reorganized in several sections. (This also means most of your preferences will be lost and you will have to reconfigure smplayer again).
- Added an option to mirror the video. And now it's also possible to flip and rotate the subtitles along with the image.
- Added a new shortcut set (sda.keys) which can be loaded in the shortcut editor in preferences.
- Added two new translations: Arabic and Kurdish.
Changes for v0.6.1 - v0.6.2
- Added an audio equalizer (please read Audio_equalizer.txt).
- Added a dialog to search and download subtitles from opensubtitles.org (See Finding_subtitles.txt).
- The toolbars can be configured. The user can remove, add or change the order of the buttons. Right now it can only be done by editing manually the configuration file. A graphical editor will be added in the next version. See Configuring_the_toolbars.txt.
- The single instance port can now be chosen automatically by the application.
- Possibility to compile a portable version which (by default) won't write anything outside the smplayer's folder. It won't write either anything in the Windows registry. See Portable_Edition.txt for details.
- Added the Slovenian translation.