Version history for DVDSubEdit
<<Back to software description
Changes for v1.51 - v1.52
- Added code to save selected subpics as bitmap (code written by Uwe Kotyczka, thanks dude!).
- Added preference for drop-frame and non-drop-frame time display / saving.
- Fixed bug that caused "AutoClut" to be selected when sup files were opened even if the IFO was supplied.
Changes for v1.501 - v1.51
- Added retiming for sup files.
- Added code to check that the auto clut does not have two identical colors, and abort editing with external tool if it does.
- Added "invert selection" button.
- Added proper handling of "Delete" key in OCR edit box.
- Removed annoying warning about using autoclut when modifying subpics with external tools and colors are ambiguous, and you're already using autoclut.
- Added option in preference to disable "CLUT warning" during bitmap export/import operations, when the bitmap only uses 3 colors.
- Added an option in preferences to show the absolute PTS time, or the PTS relative to the first VOBU. It is customary in SUP file to display the PTS relative to the first VOBU. However, in many cases, the absolute PTS reflects the real display time of the subtitle in the movie.
- Added shortcut Ctrl-Shift-E to edit bitmap with external tool.
- Changed the default AutoClut colors so no two colors are identical.
- Made a change to fix problems arising with PAL subpics in NTSC video.
- Adjusted the area cut when removing words from subtitles.
- The play buttons are now disabled when loading a sup file.
- Sup files were sometimes created with a read-only flag. This is now fixed.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash in some cases (e.g., only changing force-start to normal-start) when saving.
- Fixed a problem that could cause DVDSE to hang when opening very short VOB files.
- Fixed a problem with how buttons were displayed when not selected and not activated.
- Fixed a few problems with start and end x/y values when exporting/importing bitmaps.
- The user manual has been updated for this version.
Changes for v1.5 - v1.501
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash in some cases (e.g., only changing force-start to normal-start) when saving.
Changes for v1.41 - v1.5
- Added support for real-time playback of video with audio and subtitles. There are two new buttons that can be used to play the video while displaying the subpictures. One plays the video normally, the other one loops around the current subpic. There is a drop down in the preferences for the frame-per-second adjustment, in case your machine is running out of cycles when playing video (which is possible because DVDSubEdit does not use the overlay buffer, and therefore consumes more cycle than a normal video playback engine).
- Added support for VOB files larger than 1GB.
- Added an option to only select subpics that are fully transparent.
- Changed the behavior of the "Hide" button. Instead of making all pixels transparent, it assigns all pixels to "background".
- Added better handling of non MPEG2 video (the video isn't displayed, which avoids crashing!).
- Added an ini option (AutoForceDisplayVideo) to not automatically display the video when opening VOBs etc.
- Finally fixed the problem of vertical moves by odd numbers of lines, by swapping the top and bottom fields when the top field ends up below the bottom field after a move. This should fix the problems with media player classic and other players.
- Fixed a display problem that occurred when loading sup files with IFOs.
- Fixed a bug that occurred in the OCR when subtitles were present at the top and at the bottom of the display, and one attempted to erase some characters at the bottom.
- Fixed the wrong display of the number of MB scanned during the scanning of a VOB file.
- Removed the "Not enough room for padding block" error (changed to a warning in the log since it's not crucial anyway).
- When reloading from the MRU, the list of subpics is now updated as the reloading takes place.
- Added better reporting of errors found in the subpic streams.
- If the user aborts while a vob file is being analyzed, the vob is no longer put in the MRU.
- Fixed a (very old) bug that could cause a subpic that had been moved down to cause a UI spillover when the background video wasn't displayed.
- Fixed a problem that could occur when no CLUT was found (no IFO file for example).
- Fixed cosmetic problems related to showing or hiding the background video.
- Modified the way the subpic info is saved and loaded (for fast reloading of previously scanned DVDs). This simplifies the code and the file. As a result, the first time you run this version, none of your recently-used files will be available for fast-reload.
- Fixed a bug in the "Save as sup file" function that prevented a new sup file from being created.
- Added code to deal with a padding stream smack in the middle of our subpic data, as seen in DVDs created by ConvertXtoDVD.
- Fixed a problem in the timecode display. The value didn't correspond to the time shown in a player if the PTS of the first VOBU wasn't close to 0.
Changes for v1.40 - v1.41
- Fixed a serious bug that was introduced in version 1.40, which could cause errors in the saved subpic data if field 1 was encoded before field 0. Thanks r0lZ for finding the bug and providing the example!
- Fixed another serious bug that was introduced in version 1.40, which could also cause errors in the saved subpics! Thanks Comers for the help!
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when a sup file was dragged and dropped on the app.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a given VCID to appear multiple times in the VCID selection, when angles are present.
- Fixed the bad display of the button outlines in pan&scan and LB mode.
- Fixed a problem when editing bitmaps with SUP files, which could cause crashes.
- Added support for "Most Recently Used (MRU) files". The file menu now lets you quickly reload the last files you've previously loaded. A fast reload enables all normal functions, except for the retiming functions which require the files to be scanned from scratch.
- Implemented colorscheme display for menus. When displaying menu highlights, you can visualize the selected and activated states for each individual button. For now, use Ctrl-Q to toggle between selected and activated, and Ctrl-N / Ctrl-P to go to the next/previous button.
- During the in-place bitmap editing, if two pixels have the same color in the currently used CLUT, a message is issued, and CLUT changed to automatic. This is essential to ensure proper exporting/importing of subpic bitmaps.
- Command line support: passing a list of files now opens them all. This means you can now drag/drop a bunch of files on the app icon.
- Also added -A input command argument to let DVDSubEdit open the largest VTS (usually the movie). You can also pass video_ts.ifo (it has the same effect).
- Added a line 1/* in the VCID selector to select all vob cells with a given VOBID and any CELLID.
- Improved the error handling in the function to retime subpics.
- Subpics with bad commands are now better identified, and subsequently ignored (to avoid crashes).
Changes for v1.38 - v1.40
- New export/import bitmap function: You can save the current subpic as a bitmap, (either 4-bit, or 24-bit). The subpic is saved ignoring transparencies, using the current CLUT.
- The bitmap size is the size of the video, and the subpic bitmap is placed as it would appear on a video display. You can also import a bitmap into the current subpic. This will only work if there's enough room in the subpic packs to accomodate the encoded bitmap. There is also a shortcut that saves the current subpic as a bitmap, opens your favorite bitmap editing tool, lets you edit it, then re-import it back into the subpic. These functions make it possible to apply small changes to a subtitle, add things here and there, without the need to demux/remux the entire VOB files. This is a HUGE time saver. Be sure to read the doc (which has been updated) for details on this powerful new function.
- Changed the CLUT selection to a drop down with only 2 choices: The normal IFO CLUT, or the automatic CLUT (which attribute colors based on which pixel is used for text, background, outine and antialias). The old "Auto CLUT" wasn't useful at all.
- Clicking on a pixel type (such as "b" "p" "e1" or "e2") in the CLUT area temporarily shows that pixel with full opacity, hiding all other pixel types. This is very convenient to quickly see what pixel is used for the body of characters, for the background, etc.
- Added a slider to visualize any I-Frame within the duration of the subpic.
- Added a "Add Fade-in" function to add a fade to a subtitle. The fade-in lasts 1/8 of the total duration of the subtitle, and reaches the transparencies used in the original.
- Added a "Remove Fade-in" function to remove fade-ins.
- Added option in the preferences for the x-y crop borders.
- Added option in preferences to control how much larger the background rectangle is relative to the size of the subpic itself, when the "Crop Background" command is used.
- Added option in ini file to force vertical moves by even numbers of pixels. This is only useful for certain buggy players.
- Added rudimentary command line support: DVDSubEdit.exe FileName.VOB opens the single file FileName. Add -F to open the full domain.
- Added right-click context menu to command display area to save the subpic info for all selected subpics as a text file. This will allow complex searches in a text editor if desired.
- The zoom window can now show the subpic at a 1x or 2x magnification factor.
- The "apply to all" data is no longer reset after performing an "apply to all" operation. This will allow you to apply a set of modifications to all subpics in one stream, then again in another stream etc.
- If you attempt to change the duration of a subpic that has an infinite duration (no STP_DSP stop display command), DVDSubEdit offers to add a STP_DSP command for you (which will enable you to adjust the duration).
- Added display of subpic number in its own stream (as opposed to in all streams).
- The goto function works as before if "All Streams" is selected. But if a particular stream is selected, it will go to subpic N in this stream.
- When changing the color index in a CLUT for a pixel type and applying to all, the change is now applied to all selected subpics, regardless of whether they use the same CLUT or not.
- Now using a better Y Cr Cb -> RGB mapping function, which yields a true white when Y=255 (Cr=Cb=0). Thanks r0lZ!
- Made the app return 0 upon exit, which gets rid of the warning you get if used as a tool in PGCEdit.
- In the hearing impaired removal code, any trailing space after "Man: " is now removed. As well, times such as "8:30 pm" are no longer removed. And text in all caps left of a colum as in "RADIO ANNOUNCER: " is also removed.
- The value displayed by the transparency slider when "all pixels" is selected now reflects the average of all *used* pixels (excluding the background).
- Fixed a transparency problem in the display (fully opaque subpics were not displayed as completely opaque)
- Fixed a problem with the duration slider that could occur if the PTS of the next subpic was smaller than the current one!
- The delay value in the DCSQT are now computed the right way (they point to a frame).
- When importing bitmaps, the commands are moved as far down as possible, and the data as far up as possible to make more room for the imported bitmap. When adding a fade-in, the data is moved up to allow moving the commands up too (to make room for the fade).
Changes for v1.37 - v1.38
- Improved the DCSQT selection mechanism:
- -When selecting a DCSQT in a given subpic, the same DCSQT is selected (if it exists!) in all selected SPUs.
- -When making a modification to the transparency or color and applying to all (or to another SPU), the same DCSQT is modified as in the original, if it exists.
- -If a given SPU does not have that DCSQT, it is not changed.
- Changing the transparency then pressing the Right or Left arrows prevented applying the modification to all. Now fixed.
Changes for v1.36 - v1.37
- The code to move the subpics by odd numbers of pixels is back in, and this time, it does work!
- Some people were having problems with a previous version that linked a missing export in kernel32.dll. This is now fixed.
Changes for v1.34 - v1.36
- I reverted to not allowing moving subpics vertically by odd numbers of pixels, until I find the cause of the problems that some users are having..
- The subpic timecode is now updated after a re-timing operation.