LokiTorrent vs. MPAA

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 29 Dec 2004 17:38 User comments (34)

LokiTorrent vs. MPAA The Motion Pictures Association of America (MPAA) has continued its battle against BitTorrent sites that offer torrent files allowing users to download and share movies. This time they have filed suit against LokiTorrent.com. However, this time the BT site in question is not going to give in to MPAA demands and plans to battle them instead. The site has begun accepting donations from its members, and at the time of writing they have received $9940 of $30,000 they are asking for.
The MPAA were very slow to realize the popularity of BitTorrent being used as a way to share movies. BitTorrent first showed up in 2001, offered by Bram Cohen as a way to help spread large files around a network quickly and reliably. Since then more and more torrent sites have popped up full of movies, music, software, games etc. offering usually high speed downloads. However, these sites do not actually offer any copyright infringing files for download at all.

On torrent sites, you can download .torrent files that contain information on a tracker where a file (or many files) is currently being traded among peers. For this reason, the legality of torrent sites is still up for debate as they don't actually offer the movie files that the MPAA is suing for. It will be interesting to see this legal battle begin. You can view a scan of a letter received by LokiTorrent here. You can also make donations to LokiTorrent to help them in their battle.

Source:
LokiTorrent

129.12.2004 19:01

$11520 in support so far, $30,000 needed and I found this interesting: "To All Commercial Software Companies If you are the author of some commercial software that was posted on this site and want it removed Please click here for easy directions on how to get it removed only after reading our Terms and Conditions. Anyone who posts a torrent listed in the banned torrents list (located on the upload page) will be banned forever from this site without warning" That is on the lokitorrent webpage

229.12.2004 19:34

Glad to see a site fighting back instead of giving in for once.

329.12.2004 21:24

please donate at your own risk, there is a HUGE chance this is all a scam, look at all the facts and you should understand

429.12.2004 22:35

It is a possibility that it's a scam. I would hope that it isn't and I would like to have faith in lokitorrent. One thing that I noticed was that in the "letter," the website address is typed out as lokitorrent.com(No http:// or www) Would the MPAA really do this? It's...interesting to say the least.

529.12.2004 22:49

I also noticed that they called the files 'torrents' in a casual sort of way, which is anything but normal for the MPAA.

630.12.2004 7:47

...... crackhead

730.12.2004 9:37

This is getting ridiculous killah21. Do you think you are insulting the admins? At this point, I think you are little more than an annoyance. You need to leave this site and go fucking choke and die.

830.12.2004 9:38

I have used LokiTorrent for about a year, and they're practically Suprnova in a sense. All their torrents are amazing quality, and the site is fast and updated often. Hell, it's better than Suprnova at times. However, they ARE asking for a lot of money, and I'm not entirely sure us users will donate 30k, but I would be sad to see them go. I myself donated $30, which is 3 weeks of my pocket money! C=|

930.12.2004 14:04

You don't think they will make 30k? lol They are already over half way. $17610 in support so far, $30,000 needed 58.7%

1031.12.2004 13:34

$22177 in support so far

111.1.2005 5:09

they will get the 30,000$ I am just a bit suspicious by it is all

::LivE ForeveR OR DiE TryiN!!::....::DonT FinD US WE WilL FinD YoU::..
ChecK OuT ThE PenguiN GamE AnD PosT YouR HighesT DistancE ON ThE ForuM

121.1.2005 9:56

That's the attitude everyone gives donations. "Hmm.. seems a bit suspicious." I don't blame you! Hell, look at what happened at ShareReactor, and how people treated SM.

Everyone is entitled to their own true opinion. Either respect that or don't.

133.1.2005 13:13

How do u download from lokitorrent? When you click the link, it just download some file but I dont know how to use it. Help me please

143.1.2005 13:16

Nevermind i just had to reinstall bittorrent

154.1.2005 20:04

Nevermind i just had to reinstall bittorrent
There is a thing called the edit button! =P Well, it seems like I was completely wrong. They already reached 30,000+. Good luck and long live BitTorrent!
Everyone is entitled to their own true opinion. Either respect that or don't.

169.1.2005 12:23
Ohjiro

They have now paid for the first month of legal fees and I'm wondering.....Where are the updates of the legal battle. Thinking toward the legal battle failing wouldn't there be a better way to have spent it (just planning for the future). with al that money they could buy a server in a country where MPAA can't touch them. Btw EXEEM will be the salvation (kazaa like torrent sharing system)

I Have spoken,
now its time for the smart people.

1710.2.2005 12:40
beachguy8

Is lokitorrent shut down? I hope the site was just hacked, but it looks like the loki is gone.

1810.2.2005 13:30

I am a big fan of torrent sites and I have downloaded the Beta Testing version of Exeem and it seems to be very good. Download the Beta version and see for yourself. DIE MPAA!!!!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Feb 2005 @ 13:31

1910.2.2005 14:08

Wonder if they got shut down... Damn the MPAA and there quest for money. I went to lokitorrent.com and got a "MPAA NOTICE" screen. Saying that lokitorrent doesn't (or didn't) provide legal downloads and that other sites do. OFF THE MPAA NOTICE (the ba$tard$) don't deserve to be quoted "This website has been permanently shut down by court order because it facilitates the illegal downloading of copyrighted motion pictures. The illegal downloading of motion pictures robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity. Illegally downloading movies from sites such as these without proper authorization violates the law, is theft, and is not anonymous. Stealing movies leaves a trail. The only way not to get caught is to stop."

"The only people who should buy Monster cable are people who light cigars with Benjamins." - Gizmodo

2010.2.2005 16:48

I sincerely hope that Lokitorrent was not shut down and that it's all a joke. I honestly don't know how the MPAA could nab lokitorrent's URL rights so quickly, and without a single word to the rest of the world, but if it's happened...that's it >_<. Tracker is down too.

2110.2.2005 16:53

well, it wasn't quick, and word got out. If i find a link i will show you guys the complaint the Money Pulling Asses Associated LOL, what an acronym :) I made it up myself. You guys might wanna check out this Register article on it: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/10/loki_down_mpaa/

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Feb 2005 @ 16:55

2210.2.2005 17:27

there gone ;(

Thermaltake.... cool all your life

2310.2.2005 17:40

I just hope the dip$h*^'s don't go after everyone who used LokiTorrent. I read an article (if i find the link i will post it) that said the MPAA has logs from LokiTorrent.com and may indivdually sue people who used the site :0

2410.2.2005 17:58

I can't believe that guy narced. Well, the smart thing to do is get rid of ur current ip and renew it. THat is, if u used loki.

2510.2.2005 18:03

lol, I changed ISPs and haven't used LokiTorrent sense.

2610.2.2005 19:25

Just wonderin', could I bum a new IP if I just turn off / turn on my modem again?

2710.2.2005 19:33

Actually, no you have to subscribe to a muliple IP account from your ISP or change ISPs to get a new IP address.

2811.2.2005 0:04

downloading torrent files is not illegal. it may be illegal to download the material that the torrent refers to, but just because you got a torrent from a site, does not mean that you downloaded the item. if it was done off site, the mpaa has no knowledge of who done what. your ip provider can trace who used what ip address when, so you may not be as safe as you think. it is strange that the MPAA have put a message screen up. previous sites have just closed down completly... could this be a stunt by Loki to persuade people to donate to the fight against the MPAA/RIAA? we will have to wait and see. if they have closed, then 2 down and 1000's to go, most not in the MPAA's sphere of bullying.

2911.2.2005 1:58

Hmmm.... well though lokitorrent is gone there is others up as well. yay :)

3011.2.2005 19:01

I think lokitorrent also provided trackers for their files. If they logged the IPs connecting to these, they could easily prove that you downloaded the content. And I think placing the message screen makes sense from the MPAA's perspective. They are trying to frighten users into stopping our filesharing. It can't be a stunt by Loki 'cause it uses the (http://lokitorrent.com/mpaa.gif ) trademarked MPAA image. And it isn't just 2. According to the MPAA's press release something like 40 percent have been shut down. Who knows what percentage they are actually aware of? 40% probably isn't accurate, but certainly more than two. Check this link out: http://www.torrent-news.com/archives//000053.php

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Feb 2005 @ 14:41

3111.2.2005 19:09

On that note, this is an interesting link too: http://www.torrent-news.com/archives/rumor_mill/000020.php The MPAA and RIAA are detestable. /me spits

3211.2.2005 19:16

Okay, I know this is my third post in a row, but I don't yet know how to edit my posts. And I found another link which sort of prophesies lokitorrent's shutdown. http://www.davidarussell.co.uk/content/archives/000021.html

3311.2.2005 23:50

Thanks for the links

3411.3.2005 13:28

does any individual have to pay?