AfterDawn: Tech news

PS3 sales hit 24 million globally

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 03 Aug 2009 12:15 User comments (33)

PS3 sales hit 24 million globally According to Sony's recent earnings figures, the company has sold 24 million PlayStation 3 units globally since the console's launch in late 2006.
Total software sales, including PSN downloads for games, hit 190 million overall.

Overall, however, the picture was not rosy for Sony's financials, which followed the lower than expected numbers at Microsoft from last week.

The PlayStation division, which includes PS3, PS2, PSP and Viao PC/notebook sales, saw a year-on-year decline of 37.4 percent leading to an overall company-wide JPY $37.1 billion loss (about $389 million USD)

The Nintendo Wii remains the clear leader, with a 51 million unit install base, followed by the Xbox 360, at 31 million.

Previous Next  

33 user comments

13.8.2009 12:31

If you would of drop you damn price down, you wouldnt be at the bottom three.

23.8.2009 12:40
H08
Inactive

....i think sony gets it already. its a bit annoying to see the "drop your price" post on every sony article

33.8.2009 12:44
luhemp
Inactive

Originally posted by H08:
....i think sony gets it already. its a bit annoying to see the "drop your price" post on every sony article
Totally Agree!

43.8.2009 12:59

Originally posted by Hyasuma:
If you would of drop you damn price down, you wouldnt be at the bottom three.
Stop complaining, you'll see it soon enough.

53.8.2009 13:06

That's pretty good PS3 VS Xbox 360 since the 360 had a 1 year lead AND all the extra sales from those who bought a replacement when theirs died.

63.8.2009 13:17
varnull
Inactive

24 million.. about the same number as live in a 3rd world banana republic.. gasp.. massive sales into a world population of over a billion... It's not even 1 for every 10 people in the overpopulated consumer waste center of the world the USA.

Anybody know a ps3 owner?.. I don't.

73.8.2009 13:32

23.8 million, in fact.

I know it's 'only' 200,000 (or 20% of 1 million) but even so......

83.8.2009 13:38

Originally posted by Interestx:
23.8 million, in fact.

I know it's 'only' 200,000 (or 20% of 1 million) but even so......
That is what their figures said yeah, but mind you it was for the quarter ended June 30th. I took into account that it is August 3rd, assuming they have sold 200k units in the last month.

93.8.2009 15:04

3rd place FTL

103.8.2009 15:08

Originally posted by varnull:
24 million.. about the same number as live in a 3rd world banana republic.. gasp.. massive sales into a world population of over a billion... It's not even 1 for every 10 people in the overpopulated consumer waste center of the world the USA.

Anybody know a ps3 owner?.. I don't.
Actually I have one friend. Its kinda sad no one ever chills at his place anymore because we all have 360s.

113.8.2009 16:37

i'm not trying to say that i'm complaining,i'm just saying that, if they "would" of drop the price down in the first place they wouldn't be in the bottom three. I wouldn't be talking about price drop and annoyed you guys, besides, what else you have to talk about besides price drop of the ps3 in sony playstation articles?

123.8.2009 16:40

Originally posted by Hyasuma:
i'm not trying to say that i'm complaining,i'm just saying that, if they "would" of drop the price down in the first place they wouldn't be in the bottom three. I wouldn't be talking about price drop and annoyed you guys, besides, what else you have to talk about besides price drop of the ps3 in sony playstation articles?
Well, I cant argue with the truth in that.

133.8.2009 16:45

Don't forget that a very large portion of those sales are because it was purchased quite exclusively as a blu-ray player. Blu-ray players had LONG been more costly than a PS3, and eventually came down to breaking even. But all have far less bells and whistles. The console sold itself as a video player, not a game console. Wiis and 360s do not play Blu-rays, and were never purchased exclusively for video playback. They sold themselves entirely on the gaming front.

Sure Blu-ray players are considerably cheaper now. But they are STILL far too expensive for most people given how little they can actually do. So many people still find Ps3s quite attractive as blu-ray player, even if they are a little more expensive than a stand alone player.

143.8.2009 16:50

I just want native MKV support on my PS3s, honestly.

153.8.2009 17:00

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
I just want native MKV support on my PS3s, honestly.
If the crappy file format's not going to go away, I guess! ;-)

163.8.2009 20:29

It's not a format its just a container. e.g I have The Wire Season 1 on MKV but whats inside is XviD video

173.8.2009 23:03

Originally posted by plutonash:
It's not a format its just a container. e.g I have The Wire Season 1 on MKV but whats inside is XviD video
What do you think a "file format" is? I didn't say "codec" or "compression format."

184.8.2009 0:38

varnull, its obvious you don't know anyone who has a ps3. Its too bad its really a great system and oh my god 400 bucks for something I've spent way over 100 hours using, what a waste of my money. Enjoying myself like that, what was I thinking? Oh wait I wanted to play video games and I didn't want to only use my 360. Both systems are fine. Just don't compare the wii to either. Its not a game console, its a tech toy. When Nintendo realizes that natal or the ps3 wand do the same thing they'll wish they had decided to actually make a system that could move games.

194.8.2009 5:09

Originally posted by varnull:
Anybody know a ps3 owner?.. I don't.
And I don't know any 360-owner. Your point being?

Taking into account the number of households that have an HDTV, the current economic situation as well as the release dates of both consoles, I think both the PS3 and 360 are doing about as well as one can expect. These aren't the PS2 days anymore. Now, people also need to invest in an HDTV to take full advantage of the HD consoles and not every average Joe is ready to invest that amount of money just yet, even average Joe's in "the overpopulated consumer waste center of the world the USA".

You're a notorious Sony-hater so I guess your negative post was to be expected. People who don't dance to your anti big corporation tune and take a step back will see that given the various factors I've mentioned above, the PS3 is doing as well as can be expected. The HD consoles are a bit ahead of their time and as such, one can't expect them to overtake the market in a few years.

I personally like to jump into new tech rather quickly and as such am pretty happy I bought a launch PS3. I've been enjoying the games and blu-ray movies quite a bit on my 1080p TV-screen. At the same time, I fully realize I'm a minority among consumers (most of my coworkers still have SDTV's and DVD's, just to cite that example).

204.8.2009 6:23

Originally posted by varnull:
24 million.. about the same number as live in a 3rd world banana republic.. gasp.. massive sales into a world population of over a billion... It's not even 1 for every 10 people in the overpopulated consumer waste center of the world the USA.

Anybody know a ps3 owner?.. I don't.

Let me guess, in your top 10 books ever is the communist manifesto?

214.8.2009 6:44
varnull
Inactive

Originally posted by kyo28:
Originally posted by varnull:
Anybody know a ps3 owner?.. I don't.
And I don't know any 360-owner. Your point being?

Taking into account the number of households that have an HDTV, the current economic situation as well as the release dates of both consoles, I think both the PS3 and 360 are doing about as well as one can expect. These aren't the PS2 days anymore. Now, people also need to invest in an HDTV to take full advantage of the HD consoles and not every average Joe is ready to invest that amount of money just yet, even average Joe's in "the overpopulated consumer waste center of the world the USA".

You're a notorious Sony-hater so I guess your negative post was to be expected. People who don't dance to your anti big corporation tune and take a step back will see that given the various factors I've mentioned above, the PS3 is doing as well as can be expected. The HD consoles are a bit ahead of their time and as such, one can't expect them to overtake the market in a few years.

I personally like to jump into new tech rather quickly and as such am pretty happy I bought a launch PS3. I've been enjoying the games and blu-ray movies quite a bit on my 1080p TV-screen. At the same time, I fully realize I'm a minority among consumers (most of my coworkers still have SDTV's and DVD's, just to cite that example).
I was just stating a few little facts.. YOU are an obvious $ony fanboy.. along with your gang of rule breaking buddies.. so lets leave it before I call down some admins to kick your ass shall we?

read the rules.. personal singling out and personal attacks ARE NOT allowed.. as I keep reminding a few staff members. Maybe one day I will see you post somewhere else instead of bigging up $ony in the news comments and contribute something worthwhile to the site.. BTW.. how much do you get paid per blog post??

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/230/465073268_840f4e3f74.jpg
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Aug 2009 @ 6:48

224.8.2009 9:00

Originally posted by varnull:
in the overpopulated consumer waste center of the world the USA
So let me get this straight...you can insult Americans and that is supposed to be "okay" and doesn't violate any rules but yet someone states the obvious of how you consistently spew anti big corporation rhetoric (in almost every thread of which is documented for all to see) and that is a violation of some rule? Double standard FTL...you ain't calling no admins to kick nobody's ass here. That in itself is a blatant violation right there to even say something like that to an Afterdawn Forum member, and you "thinking" you have some real pull or something around here really needs to stop.

Edit: Oh and just to make it VERY clear, this is a warning.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Aug 2009 @ 9:09

234.8.2009 10:05

Hey oner see this yet
(NSFW)
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/08/04/ps3-stops-shipping/
(NSFW)

Aren't model change overs handled more...er....quickly or is this jsut a normal thing....for Sony... LOL

244.8.2009 10:30

http://psinsider.e-mpire.com/index.php?c..._articleid=1282

It's all over the netz...expecting Aug 18th to be pretty big (i.e. either price drop, PS3 slim, GT5 release date or any combination including possibly bundles) but whatever, I'll believe it when I see/hear it...

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Aug 2009 @ 10:32

254.8.2009 10:35

Originally posted by Oner:
http://psinsider.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=17&m_articles_articleid=1282

It's all over the netz...expecting Aug 18th to be pretty big (i.e. either price drop, PS3 slim, GT5 release date or any combination including possibly bundles) but whatever, I'll believe it when I see/hear it...
LOL
No telling what sony will do eh? ^^


Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

264.8.2009 10:50

No different from knowing what Ninty or MS will or won't do.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Aug 2009 @ 10:50

274.8.2009 18:03

You know it's bad when a moderator has to come on and play "daddy" just to calm people down. Aside from that point, I was going to get a PS3 for me and my dad, but after finding out that they took out BC for PS2 games, we have decided not to. I would rather get a 360 cause at the very least they are a gaming console, strictly speaking. That is why they been so successful, cause, guess what, they have BC for the XBOX, although I'm sure from a lot of you posters out there, this is rather old old news. RROD aside, I have to admit that Microsoft has been rather successful with their hardware and software. - BLUEBOY

284.8.2009 18:08

Originally posted by blueboy09:
You know it's bad when a moderator has to come on and play "daddy" just to calm people down. Aside from that point, I was going to get a PS3 for me and my dad, but after finding out that they took out BC for PS2 games, we have decided not to. I would rather get a 360 cause at the very least they are a gaming console, strictly speaking. That is why they been so successful, cause, guess what, they have BC for the XBOX, although I'm sure from a lot of you posters out there, this is rather old old news. RROD aside, I have to admit that Microsoft has been rather successful with their hardware and software. - BLUEBOY
I can;t argue with that they have done well even japan/JP devs has noticed them in the tiniest amount. However I would like to see the ideal of the 360 finish its basically a PC with propitiatory softwarte/hardware let me have default control configuration and able to use a mouse and keyboard as I wish and I would claim it to be the best thing since sliced bread.

But as it is...its a cute luke warm to me console.... as they all are this gen.

294.8.2009 21:31

Originally posted by blueboy09:
You know it's bad when a moderator has to come on and play "daddy" just to calm people down. Aside from that point, I was going to get a PS3 for me and my dad, but after finding out that they took out BC for PS2 games, we have decided not to. I would rather get a 360 cause at the very least they are a gaming console, strictly speaking. That is why they been so successful, cause, guess what, they have BC for the XBOX, although I'm sure from a lot of you posters out there, this is rather old old news. RROD aside, I have to admit that Microsoft has been rather successful with their hardware and software. - BLUEBOY
The 360 has limited compatibility for older Xbox games (unless that's been vastly improved recently)...kinda like the partial emulation 80GB PS3s.

304.8.2009 21:36

Quote:
Originally posted by blueboy09:
You know it's bad when a moderator has to come on and play "daddy" just to calm people down. Aside from that point, I was going to get a PS3 for me and my dad, but after finding out that they took out BC for PS2 games, we have decided not to. I would rather get a 360 cause at the very least they are a gaming console, strictly speaking. That is why they been so successful, cause, guess what, they have BC for the XBOX, although I'm sure from a lot of you posters out there, this is rather old old news. RROD aside, I have to admit that Microsoft has been rather successful with their hardware and software. - BLUEBOY
The 360 has limited compatibility for older Xbox games (unless that's been vastly improved recently)...kinda like the partial emulation 80GB PS3s.
This is very true they could not get the licensing right to fully support Xbox titles since they changed video chip set.

This was the primary reason I held off on getting a 360 for a couple years then having RODD issues I just sold it off ASAP.

315.8.2009 3:17

Quote:
I was just stating a few little facts.. YOU are an obvious $ony fanboy.. along with your gang of rule breaking buddies.. so lets leave it before I call down some admins to kick your ass shall we?

read the rules.. personal singling out and personal attacks ARE NOT allowed.. as I keep reminding a few staff members. Maybe one day I will see you post somewhere else instead of bigging up $ony in the news comments and contribute something worthwhile to the site.. BTW.. how much do you get paid per blog post??

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/230/46507...f74.jpg

I'd like to state for the record that I currently own a Playstation 3, a Wii as well as an Xbox360. For handhelds I have a PSP slim and NDS My TV is a Panasonic Viera 1080p LCD and I'm looking into buying an Onkyo surround system. If owning two Sony devices makes me a '$ony fanboy', then by all means, call me one. I don't care. While you're at, you might as well call me a M$ fanboy, a Panasonic-whore and an Onkyo-wannabe.

I like certain high tech equipment because that's my hobby. Most of that equipment is made by big corporations since that's the way things are in this world. I don't mind spending my money on these items as well as on games and blu-rays. That probably makes me an puppet in the hands of those evil corporations in your eyes, but I don't care. Perhaps if you'd take a step back and consider things well, you would realize that without customers like me, you wouldn't have any games or movies you can enjoy.

All the rest, I won't dignify with an answer. You've clearly shown both here and in previous posts what kind of person you are. I'm all for fighting for consumer-rights, but you just take it way too far.

Oh and feel free to call the mods (^_^)

326.8.2009 11:04

For the billionth time, so what the PS3 is 3rd place? It's still in the millions, meaning that it won't tank like some unknown product over the next couple of months. Do you get a medal or something for being #1? Just be glad that there are games to play!

3316.8.2009 11:20

Originally posted by Gnawnivek:
For the billionth time, so what the PS3 is 3rd place? It's still in the millions, meaning that it won't tank like some unknown product over the next couple of months. Do you get a medal or something for being #1? Just be glad that there are games to play!
Well it shows sonys arrogance and ineptitude to make it something better than 3rd ranked.... but other than than that it shows its good enough to still push millions of units.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive