Valve's 'Big Picture Mode,' now in beta

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 12 Sep 2012 12:34 User comments (11)

Valve's 'Big Picture Mode,' now in beta Valve has introduced a beta version of their 'Big Picture Mode,' allowing for Steam gamers to experience their libraries on the big screen.
The new mode will let users with powerful PCs connected to their TVs get higher quality graphics than they might get with their consoles.

After signing up, you can access the mode with a simple click of a button.

All of Steam's features, including the browser with tabs, remain, and are built for larger displays.

Check more about the Mode here: Steam

112.9.2012 08:46

I still don't get this. I want to get it, but I don't get it. I mean anyone with any tech know how has already got their PC connected to their TV and already know hows to get the best textures and resolution through their graphic drivers. What can steam offer with this, that a little research can't already do?

212.9.2012 09:41

Say what? My PC already has higher-quality graphics than any console, whether I pipe it through my HDTV or my 24" monitor. Hell, most PCs do!

Are they actually bragging that they made a Steam Library/Browser with options for bigger tabs for better visibility on big displays..?

What are these people smoking?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Sep 2012 @ 9:42

312.9.2012 11:28

I've had my gaming/HT pc connected to my 55" LED Sammy for 3 years now and have been using steam already. Everything is running @ 1080p on high DPI settings. All the games I play already run on highest settings.

I'm not sure what it is they are offering, but I would appreciate better compatibility for higher DPI on their menus and expanded videos.

412.9.2012 14:22
SmaryJerry
Unverified new user

So basically.. Their program now allows for higher resolutions as all their games already did? How is this news?

512.9.2012 15:51

Go check out the beta of this guys. the interface is amazing and works great with both the mouse or the controller.

612.9.2012 17:49

I find the comments interesting. To me it is simple they made it easier to run steam on a large screen. That is all. The rest of it is just some guy trying to sell it to the masses.

I checked it out on my small screen as the one hooked up to the TV is really only capable of watching TV not gaming but it looked good. I might use it someday down the line.

713.9.2012 18:06

So basically, it is designed for small displays where the old (small) tabs were not big enough, and it is being sold as being for big displays? I don't know what they are smoking, but I think I want some.

813.9.2012 20:37

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Not sure what you are smoking. Larger icons are usually for larger screens. IE why I can read tiny ass text on my computer but throw that shit on a TV and it's unreadable. Picture like the 360 interface on your computer. It would seem obnoxiously large.

913.9.2012 21:04

It's not that this might not be of benefit to some people, it's just arguable that it's very newsworthy, as a very minor change, or that it requires a public beta.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Sep 2012 @ 9:04

1014.9.2012 03:25

Big Picture Mode will retain all of Steams features, including the browser, which will feature tabbed browsing and cloud-saved favorites. Typing with Big Picture Mode has?thankfully?been simplified. Shunning the QWERTY layout, typing on Steam in Big Picture Mode involves the Daisywheel, where four letters are assigned to the four face buttons. Every letter is grouped into four and displayed in a wheel, and each grouping can be cycled between using the d-pad or analog sticks.
Call India |

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Sep 2012 @ 3:25

ariabrown

1114.9.2012 12:30

Originally posted by Tazer247:
Either your TV is crap or it is small and far away...I can read smaller point text on my 40" 1080P TV than I can read on my 17" 1080P laptop or my 24" 1080P desktop, and the TV screen is several times farther away.

The 360 interface DOES seem obnoxiously large on a large screen...it was designed so that people with small, low-res TVs could read it. It NEEDS to be useable with SD tube TVs and fake HD TVs that take 1080P input and turn it into something that looks like 480i, and it is.

Latest news

Intel and Qualcomm cease business with Huawei - Effectively kills off Huawei's laptop and PC business, affects phones, too Intel and Qualcomm cease business with Huawei - Effectively kills off Huawei's laptop and PC business, affects phones, too (20 May 2019 4:52)
After yesterday's decision by Google to revoke Huawei's Android license, more bad news are piling for Huawei. Now, U.S. semiconductor giants Intel and Qualcomm have stopped supplying parts to Huawei. ....
Google confirms Huawei ban, says the decision wont affect current Huawei or Honor phones - for now Google confirms Huawei ban, says the decision wont affect current Huawei or Honor phones - for now (20 May 2019 3:56)
Google has confirmed the yesterday's news about Google revoking Huawei's Android license. Company said that the decision is based on United States adding Huawei officially to the country's ....
Google blocked: Huawei phones wont be able to access Gmail, Play Store, new Android versions and more Google blocked: Huawei phones wont be able to access Gmail, Play Store, new Android versions and more (19 May 2019 3:12)
United States has waged a war against Chinese telecom giant Huawei for some time now. But now the big guys are joining the fight. According to reports, Google will stop all collaboration with Huawei. ....
Here's how you can find downloaded files on Android Here's how you can find downloaded files on Android (18 May 2019 7:04)
Android offers a wide range of features that many of the competing platforms, including most importantly of course Apple's iOS, do not have. One of these features is a traditional and feature ....
Gaming archenemies Microsoft and Sony sign a cloud gaming deal Gaming archenemies Microsoft and Sony sign a cloud gaming deal (17 May 2019 1:55)
Microsoft and Sony have been fighting in the console wars for nearly 20 years ever after the introduction of the original Xbox. Xbox was of course competing against PlayStation 2, Xbox 360 ....