New BD+ protection broken by SlySoft, Doom9 members

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 02 Nov 2008 21:49 User comments (26)

New BD+ protection broken by SlySoft, Doom9 members According to a new thread in the official SlySoft forums as well as threads in the Doom9 forums, the new AnyDVD HD will break new BD+ copy protection, the same protection that Sony said would be uncrackable for at least 10 years. There is also a tool coming from Doom9 members that should remove the BD+ from new movies.
Slysoft's AnyDVD changelog says:

6.4.7.8 2008 10 22
- "New (Blu-ray): Added option to disable BD-Live"
- New (Blu-ray): Added removal of region locks from menus
- New (Blu-ray): Added support for new version of the BD+ copy protection
- Some minor fixes and improvements
- Updated languages

Oopho2ei's post at Doom9 here says "I am glad to announce the first successful restoration of the BD+ protected movie "The Day After Tomorrow" in linux. It was done using a blue ray drive with patched firmware (to get the volume id), DumpHD to decrypt the contents according to the AACS specification and the BDVM debugger from this thread to generate the conversion table. The conversion table is the key information to successfully repair all the broken parts in m2ts files to restore the original video content. This small tool was finally used to repair the main movie file "00001.m2ts" according to the conversion table.

To verify the correctness i compared my 00001.m2ts with the one AnyDVD-HD creates and they both match. The MD5 hash of this 30GB large file is in both cases "0fa2bc65c25d7087a198a61c693a0a72"."

12.11.2008 21:52

Knew that was coming....

Good job....

22.11.2008 22:22

those guys are smart. doom9 is a haven

33.11.2008 5:59
fgamer

How stupid can Sony be to egg people on by saying "it'll never be cracked for 10-years." I'm startin to think that they say that in hopes no one will even try.

43.11.2008 11:58

Originally posted by fgamer:
I know. What it does is the reverse of what Sony wants. You tell someone "you can never do something", and it will make them want to do it even more.

just my 2 cents.

53.11.2008 12:12

Raise your hand it you are suprised by this. I'm not. Those guys and dolls know their stuff.
Another bloated Sony prediction that fell short; way short.

63.11.2008 15:11

Sony and their edited for content tactics are really like fillers in a music album you got effective tactics aligned with lame ripoff "tactics". If they even are tactics.

Unbreakable for 10 years? LOL! like they employed fortune tellers to tell them that. Flawed fortune tellers i gotta say.

peace

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Nov 2008 @ 16:32

73.11.2008 16:22
AXT

They should just stop wasting money on encryption. Or if you are don't say that its not going to be broken for 10 years. There are a lot of people out there are are much, much smarter than the people creating the encryption. Even if it's military grade, then as long as you have a device that can decrypt it, it will be broken.

83.11.2008 17:02

I've said it before and I'll say it again. SlySoft is the best software on the market and the best maintained. Turnaround time is phenomenal.

If you do decide to buy it, keep your backed up program updates.

When 321 was being forced out of business, there was talk of distributing one last update that made the software stop working permanently.

Since Obama has promised Hollywood he will shut this sort of thing down worldwide, those backups may be your only protection.

94.11.2008 6:05

The great thing about Slysoft , apart from their product, is that they email you every time there is an update and you only pay once for the product - unlike other less professional and more greedy companies like intervideo/core, dfx sound enhancement, Nero etc who change the number of the program ( Nero 5,6,7,8,9 ) etc almost every year and then have the balls to damand you pay almost the same price again for upgrading to the new program version at the same time as they discontinue development and support for he program you paid big bucks for - outrageous - long live Slysoft.

104.11.2008 20:55

Well good job slyteam, yeah they do know there stuff.

i feel a lawsuit in the force, as if billions of dollars are screaming out of agony.

114.11.2008 21:01

Originally posted by mspurloc:
You do realize the president is a Wall for the Senate right. that way if shit does happen we don't blame the right people we blame the president.

125.11.2008 13:24

Originally posted by DXR88:
Originally posted by mspurloc:
No, I've been reliably informed that even when Democrat legislators call for war and torture, it's STILL only the President's fault when it happens. For six years I've been told that, so it must be true.
Then in 2006, new people who got in who were going to set it all straight. And did nothing. The new, new people and their cult leader, got 400 million dollars from Hollywood. So we can expect...nothing good.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Nov 2008 @ 0:58

136.11.2008 5:17

This is awsome news. Mind u i am still loving basic DVD when i get to the level that i can afford a BLu-Ray burner i can just imagine the speed and the other posibilities.

Keep it up...

148.11.2008 3:13

Originally posted by DXR88:
Well good job slyteam, yeah they do know there stuff.

Slysoft is located in the capital city St. John's in Antigua and Barbuda. imperialist copyright laws cant reach them there :-)

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

158.11.2008 4:59

Humph, fact, if it wasn't for for AnyDVD HD the supposedly HDCP certified LG drive, certified nVidia 8600GT card, certified Cyberlink software and the certified Panasonic FullHD TV would not work together playing new Blu-rays.

This is using legitimately rented Blu-rays- I have absolutely no interest in piracy or even copying the things. It would be cheaper to buy the disc atm. If I wanted to keep it.

169.11.2008 1:32

Yes. Those people are incredible smart, they should use their gift in something else. Why would you want to copy a BR and spend sooo much time decoding and transfering if you can buy it?, how much is your time worth?

179.11.2008 1:59

I am applauding Slysoft here- not their prices tho haha. But if I want to it takes about an hour or so to transfer the iso to hard drive, uses bugger all cpu cycles in multitasking terms but at 35+GB I can't be bothered storing something I may only watch rarely.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Nov 2008 @ 2:06

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

189.11.2008 16:04

Originally posted by salsa36:
Why buy and support greedy corporations who clearly doesn't care about consumers and are only concerned with how much they can get out of your pockets by overpricing?

also, who sits staring at the lights on their hard drives patiently waiting for a disc to copy?

it takes more time to make the money to buy a $30 plus blue-ray than to copy.

1910.11.2008 1:18

Originally posted by spook-1:
it takes more time to make the money to buy a $30 plus blue-ray than to copy.
Seriously!
This would be one of those many classic "set it and forget it" tasks. Start it up, watch TV, go to bed, wake up in the morning and mail it back.
Time spent: Maybe 5 minutes
Money saved: Around $30
Screwing Hollywood: Priceless

2010.11.2008 11:18

plus, if you're like me, I just keep my rips on my hard drive. I don't even burn media anymore. The 1 tb hard drives have come way down in price.

Know how to drive a person CRAZY? <<Click Here>>

2110.11.2008 11:39

True, I have a TB raid now; but 35+GB per HD movie will suck that up pretty fast. It will be a rare exception to make me want to do that atm. Perhaps in a while when they get really cheap I'll get another couple of 1TBs for another raid0.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-

228.12.2008 0:12

QUOTE, domie.

You hit the nail right on the head.

238.12.2008 1:02

As I said ages ago, AnyDVD HD is needed just to play rented blu-rays on my sys. Bit of a joke as all is certified anyway. (I want to find a good alternative to the commercial software for HD playback.)

I'm kind of surprised that there isn't more competition for AnyDVD... it's pretty expensive for "shareware"- teh lifetime membership does help offset that I suppose.

248.12.2008 1:09

Originally posted by Jemborg:

Life time free updates is supposed to end if you buy after 12-31-08

USC Trojans Rule Forever !!!

258.12.2008 1:52

Originally posted by lamchops1:
Originally posted by Jemborg:

Life time free updates is supposed to end if you buy after 12-31-08
Fair dinkum? Heh, well typical, they do seem to have a monopoly, as I suggested. Perhaps ,hopefully, this will encourage competition in this field.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-

268.12.2008 2:04

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Originally posted by lamchops1:
Originally posted by Jemborg:

Life time free updates is supposed to end if you buy after 12-31-08

The only real competition, DVDFab Decrypter, gave up on HD.

USC Trojans Rule Forever !!!