SlySoft acquires Game Jackal

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 13 Mar 2007 20:04 User comments (27)

SlySoft acquires Game Jackal SlySoft, a company well known for its DRM-removing software packages (AnyDVD, AnyDVD HD), DVD backup software (CloneDVD), CD copying software (CloneCD) and mobile video software (CloneDVD Mobile), has added another tool to its line-up with the acquisition of Game Jackal from Australian software company Jacal Consulting. All further development of Game Jackal has been taken over by SlySoft.
"Due to new Australian copyright law, Jacal Consulting had to take down the Game Jackal website in January and SlySoft took this opportunity to complement our software portfolio. Game Jackal is a perfect addition to our range of product offerings," Giancarlo Bettini, CEO at SlySoft said.

Game Jackal is a Windows software that allows users to play PC game titles without the need for the game's media to be in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, similar to a virtual drive. Instead of large standard disc images, Game Jackal uses a proprietary format which takes up considerable less storage space by working to only capture data the game requires to run.

"We are happy that Game Jackal has found a perfect new home. SlySoft is well known for their customer satisfaction and we can be sure that our customers will be in good hands," said Anthony Smith, Technical Director at Jacal Consulting. According to SlySoft's Marketing Director, Tom Xiang, the first SlySoft release of Game Jackal will be available by the end of the month.

Xiang said: "We will be adding a few new features and some more languages. However, for our first release, our main focus will be the changeover to the SlySoft license system, with free lifetime updates. Old Game Jackal users can be easily upgraded to a SlySoft license, for no more than 10 USD."

On another note, SlySoft is currently offering discounts on all its available products to celebrate the Cricket Worldcup in Antigua. The discount a buyer receives depends on how many licenses are purchased and ranges between $5 and $20 ($5 for single license, $20 for four licenses). To avail of the offer, enter the word cricket in the coupon box at the bottom of the check-out form. The coupon is only valid until March, 19th 2007.

Source:
SlySoft

113.3.2007 20:42

Way to go SLysoft!! I was wondering when they were going to get into this type of software.

213.3.2007 20:51
duckNrun

other than the reduced file size versus an ISO (which appears to be what the article is saying is THE benefit) what else does Jackal do that my mounted ISO image isn't already providing?

At the price of HDD space these days unless Slysoft is giving this away I really don't understand the need for it.

Can IT beat SafeDisc so as to no longer need SafeDisc Hider? What about other infestations of DRM?

I love the guys at slysoft but as I said just not sure HOW this is gonna change my life and WHY I should shell out money for it...

?

313.3.2007 21:14

well duck it may not benefit a lot of folks but it's good to see them doing something with software in any any realm that furthers a consumers right to fair use.

413.3.2007 22:16
duckNrun

amen to that!

514.3.2007 0:18

@duckNrun
If it doesnt have any anti DRM stuff built in currently im willing to bet it will after a few slysoft updates, these guys are awesome and will no doubt add lots of great features to it.

This will be much like AnyDVD, there are loads of free methods to get passed DVD decryption but loads of people still pay for AnyDVD because its an easy to use program. Its user choice to pay a little extra to get a quality program.

614.3.2007 11:09

RIPTI4ME is a FREE quality program. It is updated regularly and has even been tested to prove it produces cleaner rips than AnyDVD. (Less unreferanced material etc).

@Andrew691
Yes AnyDVD is an easy-to-use program, but you do not need to pay money to use quality programs.

714.3.2007 11:41

Originally posted by toathis:
Actually, SlySoft's AnyDVD Ripper (Built-in to AnyDVD, right click on the Fox to access it) and it has an option to "Remove Unreferenced and Blank Cells" which removes all unreferenced and blank cells from my experiences.

RIPIT4ME is probably pretty good and yes it is free.

But with the regular discounts that take $5+ off the price of a license and the regularly released free updates that have multiple times caused a "new" copy protection to be obsolete before it even hits the streets, I would rather spend $50 on AnyDVD. :p

Plus, buying a license though on of the links on AfterDawn gives the site support. :)

814.3.2007 12:41

@-duckNrun-

Can IT beat SafeDisc so as to no longer need SafeDisc Hider?
Only the program writers can make this happen. I don't like using 3rd party apps to be able to play a backup. Maybe this new move will wake up AL120% from the hangover they have been having and finally put together somthing as they have had no real compition.

What about other infestations of DRM?
Again, that would have to be written by the programmers to bypass this.

@-Andrew691-
@duckNrun
Agree completely!

914.3.2007 13:23

This is a cool software. Because then, I can install my games and run them without having to use the disc drive. (My other computers disc drive messed up.)

1014.3.2007 18:37

Well the have cartoonish sheep and foxes, I wonder what the new Game Jackal logo will look like?

1115.3.2007 9:06

Originally posted by PeaInAPod:
A cartoonish Jackal?

1215.3.2007 10:24

game jackal is was and always will be garbage. With increases in HD space the value of this software will be zilch fast.

1315.3.2007 13:17

Originally posted by Article:
Haha, Cricket. What a strange and yet fun sport O_o

1415.3.2007 20:02

YES, thank you. I needed this SOOOO bad!!! slysoft is the only PROGRAM i PAY. It's the only program that's worth Paying. Keep up the great work!!!

1515.3.2007 22:59

I hope they add it to AnyDVD and make it more user friendly last item I tried it it was kinda annoying to setup and use.

1618.3.2007 1:20

Spiesfan, you sound like a wally. Game Jackal is by far the easiest method I've seen to get around Securom 7 & a nice user friendly application also some new generation drives are being manufactured not to read backups so Game Jackal is a must have.
To you others worried about disk space.
C'mon, what's 14Mb per profile when you've got 80/120/160/250Gb,etc, HDD's. I pay for AnyDVD because it's good software & I like to support
people who stand for freedom & users rights.
Well done Slysoft, I think Game Jackal & AnyDVD are a great combo.

1718.3.2007 1:51

Originally posted by Enniss:
To you others worried about disk space.
people who stand for freedom & users rights.
Well done Slysoft, I think Game Jackal & AnyDVD are a great combo.
Alcohol120% is much easier to use compared to GJ ,GJ is not hard once you get use to it,but the GUI could use areworking...

1818.3.2007 2:01

yeah I have Alcohol 120% as well & I like it for some things but pissing around with virtual drives gives me the shits & they can be a bit flakey. It takes about 2 minutes to set up a GJ profile & after that
it's real convenient.

1918.3.2007 2:08

Originally posted by Enniss:
it's real convenient.
Well heres hoping they bring GJ into "Any"and start kicking the likes of Alcohol 120 ^_~

2022.3.2007 15:18

is it out yet?

2122.3.2007 18:10

No, Im sure they wont care if I tell you this. I emailed SlySoft and they told me their planning on a late march release.

"Some people have no damn sense." - Nephilim, March 27 2007 @ 18:08

2222.3.2007 18:42

it's late march right now

2323.3.2007 7:46

I would assume like March 28-30 and early April. And again they say they plan to release near those dates if all goes well. Something could happen along the way to hold them up.

"Some people have no damn sense." - Nephilim, March 27 2007 @ 18:08

2412.4.2007 21:53

Guess it was april fools joke. I was so excited.

2512.4.2007 22:20

if was a joke why would thier forums still be up

software takes time to polish they are not only porting it over to their system but also dealing with udateign from the older one to their version of it, sometimes things take time.

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations

2612.4.2007 22:59

the forum is still up but they didn't tell us why it's late or that it's going to be late. No words from them.

2713.4.2007 19:13

Originally posted by rihgt682:
meh delays happen,if they are putting on the back burner put it off crack it get over with it *L*

---