New AnyDVD HD release from SlySoft targets BD+

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 19 Mar 2008 13:25 User comments (37)

New AnyDVD HD release from SlySoft targets BD+ SlySoft has been known in the past years for breaking and then poking fun at layers of protection released on DVDs with the AnyDVD application. It was no surprise that SlySoft would be among the first to offer solutions for Advanced Access Content System (AACS) used on both HD DVD and Blu-ray for normal users with no in-depth knowledge of copy protection.
After sort of backing the HD DVD format last year, SlySoft repeatedly blasted Blu-ray's extra copy protection, upholding support for the format in consecutive releases of AnyDVD; now named AnyDVD HD. Now with the release of v6.4.0.0, a SlySoft press release declares that BD+ is not going to stop it, or consumers, from copying their own discs.

The press release from SlySoft advises Richard Doherty of the Envisioneering Group to revise a statement he made eight months ago. He said, "BD+, unlike AACS which suffered a partial hack last year, won't likely be breached for 10 years."

Changelog for AnyDVD HD v6.4.0.0...
  • New (Blu-ray): Removes the BD+ protection from Blu-ray discs! (for increased compatibility with titles released by Twentieth Century Fox :-) )
  • New (Blu-ray): Added option to enable / disable BD+ removal
  • New (DVD): AnyDVD ripper no longer uses the Windows filesystem, it has now its own UDF parser / reader. Discs which cannot be read by Windows can now be copied with the AnyDVD ripper.
  • Fix (Blu-ray): Black display with some BD discs, e.g., "Layer Cake", second release, "The Fugitive", "Wild Things" (all Region B)
  • Fix (DVD): Small bugfix in "repairing defective disc structure" function of AnyDVD ripper
  • Fix (DVD): Problems with some ARccOS protected titles, e.g. "The Grudge", R1, US
  • Some minor fixes and improvements
  • Updated languages
"Admittedly, we are not really so fast with this because actually we had intended to publish this release already in December as promised. However, it was decided for strategic reasons to wait a bit for the outcome of the "format war" between HD DVD and Blu-ray. On top of that, we first wanted to see our assumptions confirmed about the in the meantime released BD+ titles regarding the BD+ Virtual Machine. We are rather proud to have brought back to earth the highly-praised and
previously "unbreakable" BD+. However, we must also admit that the Blu-ray titles released up to now have not fully exploited the possibilities of BD+. Future releases will undoubtedly have a modified and more polished BD+ protection, but we are well prepared for this and await the coming developments rather relaxed,"
said Peer van Heuen, head of High-Definition technologies at SlySoft. Van Heuen went on to joke that, "the worst-case scenario then is our boss locks us up with only bread and water in the company dungeon for three months until we are successful again."

Giancarlo Bettini, SlySoft CEO, adds, "We are convinced that today's release will give the high-density market new impulse. It remains unclear just what direction this will take. On the one hand, it can give Blu-ray a boost because the end-user has the certainty in knowing now that a backup security copy can also be made from Blu-ray disks protected by BD+. On the other hand, one or more film studios may want
to reconsider their withdrawal from HD DVD and Toshiba could also grant the high-density DVD a reprieve. HD DVD certainly deserves a second chance, particularly since HD DVD hardware has obtained a higher market share within the last months than its BD counterpart from SONY. In any event, I wish all those involved a happy Easter from the bottom of my heart."

More Information: SlySoft

Get regular news updates from AfterDawn.com by subscribing to our RSS feeds using the Subscribe button below. If you have been living in a cave for a few years now and don't know how to use RSS feeds, then Click Here to read a Guide on how to use RSS (and other) feeds.

119.3.2008 14:24

So much for hating BD+ i guess...

219.3.2008 14:33

Dont really care so much for the BluRay flicks..more interested in Blu-Ray hacking on the PS3! I'm starting to suspect that we will never see a true PS3 modchip.

..not that there are really any games worth playing (as compared to the PC and Xbox anyway).

319.3.2008 14:46

I knew something like this was going to happen. One of the main reasons for the studios backing DRM-Ray over HD DVD was because of the extra "Security" called BD+.

However Slysoft has now at least cracked it, if not totally broken it, open. If they do to BD+ what they did to DVD copy protections BD+ is now, or will soon be, dead.

Encryptions are like viruses, they can mutate to get around better but once the "main" part is discovered all variations are basically useless.

So, unless BD+ has some technique we don't yet know about its now dead.

Even if it can spawn new, totally different "Styles" the underlying frame work should still be there. This means that Slysoft will probably crack these too, sometimes days before the official release of the movie.

So now all we need to see is the prices of burners and media to come down, once those come down and people can play backups of their DRM-Ray movies we may then see it start to overtake DVD as king.

Peace

419.3.2008 14:56

I disagree... Even the article says that BD+ hasn't utilize its potentials yet, so the tug of war continues. As to protection codes mutating into viruses, conceivable, but it's really sloppy (or clever) coding.

519.3.2008 14:57

BD+ lol.. thats not the problem... wait until BD+ J. its going to be uncrackable... if you do crack it.. ps3 will release an update so they wont play BD+ R. its going to be a whole new psp epidemic. (sony patches / slysoft cracks) back and forth..

619.3.2008 15:04

I just hope the studio's don't start dumping millions (billions?) into the government of Antigua and change the laws.

719.3.2008 15:36

Slysoft are the best ...few pounds for livetime updates !

819.3.2008 16:00

i believe the first problem is most blu-ray stand alones wont read BD R isnt it? anway, who cares, they´re still kidding themeselves thinking they´ll rule the world with fisical media, ee though there´s still people that likes it better, my first hand experience is teenagers dont really care, they just want to be able to click and download, even if it takes a day or two to get it, that might be way to much for some of us, but they´ll rule the world preaty soon, and have the economic power to turn the market wherever they like, if you think thats not the case just ask yourself, (if you are over 25) how much do you spend on music every month?, going to the movies? and then how much does a 13 year old spends a month on the same things?

919.3.2008 16:35

Glad the see Slysoft is making it easier to make backups of our investments, now what I REALLY want to see is an editing program like clonedvd2/recode/shrink to make just the movie itself.

1019.3.2008 16:43
vinny13

Lol I haven't spent any money since boxing day :P

As soon as BD+ is in the gutter I'm gonna get a BR burner... Hopefully by then they'll be faster :P

1119.3.2008 17:15

Originally posted by lxfactor:
Actually BD-J is simply the layer that provides interactivity for the BD movies.

Sony also claimed BD+ would last 10 years, however, its already at least partially destroyed by the one and only SlySoft. So much for its millions (or more) spent to develop the encryption under the thin guise of "anti-piracy".

Peace

1219.3.2008 18:16
vinny13

Well you can definitely say that BD+ is better then CSS encryption :P

1319.3.2008 20:19

Slysoft was one of the reasons why I never worried about "DRM" with Blu-Ray.

If it is built by man....it can be broken by man.

Good for us...

Now....like someone said...it's time for a PS3 hack.

1420.3.2008 1:57

Originally posted by Pop_Smith:
I knew something like this was going to happen.
That's crap! I have seen you complain about Blu-ray's DRM/BD+ on many a thread. Now you claim to know it all... ?

Also, can I ask why do you quote "Peace" at the end of every post? I might be missing something, but I don't see a message of peace in your posts.

It was people like you and a few others that complained at every opportunity about Blu-ray's DRM, BD+... While it was people like myself and quite a few others that waited peacefully as we knew what the future would bring. Now you want to jump on the band wagon because it has been cracked... Go figure.

Edit: ^ This was too abrupt. Please see my post below which explains my thoughts better! :-)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Mar 2008 @ 23:44

"Great minds discuss ideas... Average minds discuss events... Small minds discuss people"

PS3 compatible video creation thread... mkv2vob, tsMuxeR etc.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809
The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

1520.3.2008 3:18

Originally posted by Ryu77:
Yes, I do complain about DRM/BD+ (whatever other name its under this week!) but I never claimed to know it all.

When I say "I knew this was gonna happen" I simply mean (or ment if you want) "Eventually I know it will be cracked, but I don't like the encryption being there in the first place because I am pro-fair-use, therefore I complain".

Originally posted by Ryu77:
Also, why do you quote "Peace" at the end of every post? I might be missing something, but I don't see a message of peace in your posts.
Partially out of habit and partially because I feel like a very peaceful guy. I don't mean to create hostility towards anyone so please don't take my post(s) that way.

1620.3.2008 5:41

i think all of you little boys that are pissed off because of the fact that blu ray won need to stop crying, let it go and grow up and stop being so silly and always refer to blu ray as DRM-ray because that is really stupid and tiring just like constantly saying that consumers didnt choose the outcome of the format war or what format had those features since day one and all those stupid arguments.

1720.3.2008 5:47

While I do agree it is a bit silly, if AACS hadn't been cracked so early in the game people might be referring to HD DVD as HD DRM or something similar.

1820.3.2008 6:48

Pop_Smith, if you did indeed "know" this was going to happen (BD+ being cracked), wouldn't that make all your Blu-ray DRM bashing posts redundant?

No malice intended here, but I do think that the point I am trying to prove is one that is worthwhile for all the Blu-ray supporters that put up with so much garbage from the anti Blu-ray camp on these forums. Not once did I or would I say anything like this about HD-DVD.

At the end of the day it is just an optical disc format to you, I and everyone else here. Now if you had a big stake ($$) in Sony or Toshiba, that would be a different story and partial views could be well accepted and understood.

1920.3.2008 10:12

Ryu, well said and i share the same sort of frustration as well... People trash talked BD+, i.e. it's evil, it's buggy, it's after your money, blah blah blah. Right now? After some news of BD+ being cracked , all sudden, it goes "i knew this gonna happen" or "haha, so much for the cannot be hacked claim."

2020.3.2008 12:48

I personally don't care about DRM because it will ALWAYS be hacked (Just like WoW can't be hacked right? haha yeah right). Anyways, I was an HD DVD supporter due to the cheaper and more established product. Blu-Ray is STILL trying to catch up to HD DVD's technology which is sad because you would think the superior format would have won the war.

2120.3.2008 12:58

Ryu, watch it on the personal attacks for you'll have to deal with me or any other mod. understand!!?

2220.3.2008 13:49

Originally posted by hendrix04:
Help me understand...

How's HD-DVD is cheaper and more established product? I know HD-DVD players are cheaper than BD players, but software-wise they are the same price. As to more "established" i don't even understand what you mean by it, region coding perhaps? To me, more established means more studio supports, i.e. if HD-DVD have Disney from the start... i hate to throw more money to Disney, but face it, who doesn't buy Disney dvds/bds?

Also, how's HD-DVD superior than BD? Is it b/c HD-DVD run faster than BD or something? I don't get it...

2320.3.2008 13:56

Did Cyberlink fix PowerDVD so that we can play blu-rays off the hd? If not, how does AnyDVD HD do us any good? What are you guys using to actually play backed up discs?

2420.3.2008 18:37

ddp, you are right. My first post to Pop_Smith was a little overkill which is why I followed it up with a more balanced post... Sumimasen!

2520.3.2008 21:39
markjdye

First off, I'm very happy and relieved that SlySoft has given us the ability to back-up and/or modify our Blu-rays. I own an Toshiba XA-1 HD-DVD player and an Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray player. I run them both through component video into an Pioneer 58" Elite CRT HD display. Both have stellar images. Unlike the Toshiba, the Sony will allow you to view the video through the components while allowing you to hear the audio through HDMI. A useful arrangement if you've got a pre-HDMI HD monitor. Also, the Sony allows aspect ratio control at any resolution. The Toshiba only allows it on 1080. As to picture quality, the Toshiba is sharper and the Sony has better color(more natural). The Sony plays BD-R, BD-RE and AVCHD discs perfectly. The audio on a Blu-ray that has uncompressed PCM audio is simply that best that could ever be. It's perfect. No joke. Smooth, and easy on the ears with incredible dynamic range. If you've ever tried watching Ratatouille or Cars on Blu-ray, you know why we need the ability to modify a disc. It literally takes 15 minutes to get to the feature. Insanity. Rip it to hard drive. Use a demuxing program and voila, the movie starts instantly. Again, thank you Slysoft for giving us the ability to control how we watch video.

2620.3.2008 22:36

Hehe. Blueray's DRM is not down yet even if they did Cripple BD+ there is still the third layer called, BD-ROM Mark.

although with HD-DVD otta the way BD-ROM Mark should soon be crippled soon.

And by the way isn't BD+ inbeded into the player itself, i thought it was a piece of VM code..

And Indeed if A Man can make it A Man can brake it.

2720.3.2008 23:15

Congratulation to Slysoft, keep up the good work. It just goes to prove nothing is infallible. Your company has one of the best reputable representation around.

2821.3.2008 1:39

I dont see why you take it so personal when somebody bashes the DRM-RAY, i get that you like the hardware, i get that you like the studios backing it up, i even get that you might even like sony and its policies, but why is it that just because other people dont like the way they want to control the market makes you feel like they are attaking you, its ok for you to like it enough to consider yourself a Blu-ray backer, but in the end, are you really a blu-ray backer "per sei"?, do you go out on the streets with big lettered boards showing your support for a piece of hardware, do you knock door to door to convince every single person that blu-ray is the way?, if you did that i would totaly understand that you would feel those attacks where personal, because it were more than just liking an electronic device, it would be deffending your ideals, but with something like this, dont you think its... well, i dont know how to say it and be politically correct, but wouldn it be a little bit too weird? its not like you´re debating on politics you know, its just a movie player, and besides its the winner of the format war for all anyone cares

2921.3.2008 14:49

Thanks Slysoft for giving us back our fair rights to our purchased media.In a weird way,Blu-Ray needs Slysoft in order to maintain a healthy interest for those who will only purchase Blu-Ray if the DRM can be defeated.

3021.3.2008 15:15
goodswipe

He was probably referring to HD DVD being established as in a finished product, like with profiles and such. But hey, that's just my guess.

I think all these media companies are working with these people that crack the encryption schemes. It's all just a conspiracy!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Mar 2008 @ 15:31

3121.3.2008 15:27

Originally posted by goodswipe:
i see.. in that case, it make sense. I do agree that HD-DVD spec was finalized before BD. However, i won't just call it "established" because it got a "finalized" spec. It just means that little Huey hands in the homework before little Bobby does...

Peace!

3222.3.2008 19:45

Originally posted by Gnawnivek:
What about Duwey and Louie?

On a serious note, I think it's a little more complicated than "handing in your homework". HDi and BD-J are very different. They are similar in that they have the have a common outcome in mind, they are different in the way that they are created. HDi is written using XML, BD-J is a Java based platform (Sun Microsystems).

See here, for further explanation...

HDi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDi_%28interactivity%29
BD-J: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J

3324.3.2008 9:31

I know it's more complicated that "homeworks." I'm just using a simple example that all... The fact that HD-DVD has a finalized spec doesn't mean it's a well "established" product. Huey = HD-DVD, Bobby=BD, i wasn't thinking about Duck Tales :)

Peace!

3424.3.2008 10:43

Originally posted by Gnawnivek:
It was a joke...

The second part to my post added support to your post by indicating that it goes a little deeper than the "homework" analogy. HD-DVD's HDi and Blu-ray's BD-J are two very different things.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Mar 2008 @ 10:46

3525.3.2008 22:30
alphabit

I have been able to rip BD to HDD but not a one to BD-R that will play on PS3....I guess you just gather the family around the computer to watch that "fair use" back up. If I am missing something please feel free to enlighten me..Otherwise Blue rays are as copy able as HD-DVD..Wasted money on 2 blue-ray burners and Anydvd-hd...

3625.3.2008 23:50

Everyone wonders why the best format did not win (HD-DVD) It is all in the amount of money that is brought to the table. The war between Beta movies and VHS movies wentto the winner VHS, because of the movie industry's support of the VHS technology instead of Beta. Sony lost that war to The Victor corportion. I believe sony decided not to lose this war. I wish they had because it will take along time for them to completely catch up to HD-DVD. It was by far the better format. Thanks to all that support free use.

3726.3.2008 0:07

Originally posted by will5317:
Thanks to all that support free use.
LOL! I think that you ironically summed up my thoughts with that sentence alone. A Freudian slip perhaps... ?

Those that protest against DRM and tout fair use, do they really mean free use? Hmmm...