AACS LA to fight cam piracy & AnyDVD HD

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 04 Sep 2007 6:04 User comments (30)

AACS LA to fight cam piracy & AnyDVD HD At a conference held by the DVD Forum in Berlin, the Advanced Access Content System Licensing Authority (AACS LA) unveiled its plans to fight back specifically against SlySoft's AnyDVD HD application, which can rip content from HD DVD and Blu-ray movie discs. The group also appears to be interested in fighting CAM piracy (movies recorded by camcorders in theaters) with video watermarking technology.
Movies shown in cinemas will be given a new watermark invisible to the human eye, but easily picked up by AACS-enabled players. Once the watermark is detected, the player will stop playback completely, according to the Heise Online. Of course, this would actually require a user top be watching a cam movie in an AACS-enabled player, like a HD DVD player or Blu-ray Disc player, so the effect it would have is unknown.

Back to its main purpose, to protect HD DVD and Blu-ray movie discs from being copied, "data keys" will provide additional encryption during the transmission of data from the drive to the PC (bus encryption). The keys will be different for each drive and each movie discs. According to AACS LA, even if hackers found and posted keys, it would not enable anybody else to decrypt the discs with their equipment.

The keys currently being used by SlySoft's AnyDVD HD will soon be revoked also, meaning that the software will be incapable of decrypting newer titles and that users with HD playback software will probably soon need to update.

Source:
Heise Online

14.9.2007 6:23
nobrainer

why would anyone purchased a hd-dvd or blu-ray of a camcorder film surly this defeats the point of HD material, omg what a waste of money!

how much exactly does aacs la make from duping film studios into wasting their $ on?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Sep 2007 @ 6:30

24.9.2007 6:51

They used this watermarking technology with scanners and photoshop to deter counterfeit money. It would detect that someone was scanning money and disabled the scan in an instant.

As far as the new format ripping, there will always be a way....

34.9.2007 6:51

Originally posted by nobrainer:

I think you misunderstood.

If you read the news item carefully you will see that it's not about HD DVD's or BluRay's of camcorded films.

The news item talks about 2 different things entirely:

1. Plans to fight back against SlySoft's AnyDVD HD software.

2. Fighting CAM piracy with video watermarking technology.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Sep 2007 @ 6:56

44.9.2007 7:15
nobrainer

Originally posted by eatsushi :
Originally posted by nobrainer:

I think you misunderstood.

The news item talks about 2 different things entirely:

1. Plans to fight back against SlySoft's AnyDVD HD software.

2. Fighting CAM piracy with video watermarking technology.
no i did understand that but i was wondering why this watermarking would be effective if it needed to be played back through HD or upscaling devices so that the watermarking drm could stop playback, why would anyone bother because hd is about quality and all cam films are very poor at best, i doubt a single cam film ever made its way into any ones permanent film collection.

re: anydvd good on them for standing up to the monopolising corporations by removing hdcp, allowing ppl to watch in full HD that the media companies deem bad, because they cant sell you new screens and vga cards! and sony really needs to sell many bravias atm!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Sep 2007 @ 7:17

54.9.2007 8:20

You just need 1 person to rip it and then "file-share" it. What they are doing is eliminating the possibility of many people making legitimate backups. But they don't recognize the term "legitimate backup." To them it's all piracy. Anything that might tempt a person to possibly share is piracy. This all stinks. If an artist sold me a painting, I would be pretty ticked off if he kept knocking on my door to see what I've done with it. I would be really ticked off if he sued me because I took a photo of it to show some friends.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Sep 2007 @ 8:21

64.9.2007 8:25

AACS is a dying Dog best to put it out of its misery.

And AOD is the only new format that relies on the AACS.

What we need is a new tallying pay system for these copyright companys. Sue ten times your out of the compitition. IF your encryption system is so good then why sue

74.9.2007 12:34

Ha! While we haven't had Revoking technology hit the DVDs before SlySoft is very good at what they do and have cracked AACS LA three days before its retail release.

I am sure "revoking" a few stupid keys isn't going to do anything to Slysoft.

Peace

84.9.2007 14:25

yea... only BLU-RAY and HD-DVD players have the new aacs. so i dont think anyone is going to record a movie with a cam. and play it in a HD player. as far as decoding blu ray and hd dvd.. he is right. there will always be a way.

94.9.2007 14:38

No one has yet to crack AACS. All they are doing is extracting keys from discs due to a vulnerability in software players. If AACS is to be cracked, it will take a long time. Now, they seem to be doing it in a disc by disc basis. With DVDs, no matter how many times they change the CSS, it is pointless because that has been cracked. This is why they had to create corruptions like ARccOS and Ripguard.

104.9.2007 14:57

Don't they understand that AnyDVD is updated like twice a week? Unless they shut the company down, there will always be a way to copy movies. I can't remember how many times I've read an article about how AnyDVD has cracked some new protection that isn't even on the market yet.

114.9.2007 18:23

This really makes me want to steal hd movies on bittorrent

124.9.2007 21:02

Originally posted by tucker001:
This really makes me want to steal hd movies on bittorrent

Hey that kind of talk isn't allowed...

...ah I can't keep a serious face. :P

135.9.2007 0:19

In order for video watermarking technology to work, would actually require a user to be watching a cam movie in an HD DVD or Blu-ray AACS-enabled player, so this will not affect consumers worldwide who already own a SD DVD player.

Because as many already know (and some don't want to recognize) still more than 99% of consumers don't care and aren't interested in buying HD DVD or Blu-Ray players and movies, most likely they will endure this ongoing HD war for a couple of years until both formats extint.

I really can't understand why the movie industry keeps investing time and money in restrictions that are doomed to fail, when they should invest such resources in making better films, specially in searching for good scripts worth making.

This past summer's revenues showed possitive numbers compared to previous years, which profs that if the movie industry aims for quality rather than quantity, they will produce good films that people will find more appealing to watch in cinema theaters, rather than bootleg copies at home.

It would be even more appealing if the movie industry should consider lowering ticket prices, any businessman knows that a overpriced product will produce poor sales without doubt.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Sep 2007 @ 0:48

145.9.2007 2:30

the mpaa understands that the people that purchase anydvd are honest consumers who buy dvd/hd/blueray whatever, and the ones who use cracked anydvd are the pirates

Kindle Fire 1st Gen running Jelly Bean
Nexus S 4G running 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
PS3 Slim 3000 Model 4.3.1
PS3 ID: killbarney1123

156.9.2007 10:13

MPAA understands ... the ones who use cracked anydvd are the pirates
lol!!

166.9.2007 17:37

i mean doesn't not does lol!!

Kindle Fire 1st Gen running Jelly Bean
Nexus S 4G running 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
PS3 Slim 3000 Model 4.3.1
PS3 ID: killbarney1123

176.9.2007 19:20

Oh, no, I quoted it cause I liked it!! It is pretty funny!

187.9.2007 14:15

What about teh consumers who "follow all the rules" that these apes lay down and buy all the approved equipment.....and then can't get it to work because of all the "protections" that automatically turn off the equipment w/o explanation....sending the customer...and his new purchases right back to the store...what a headache.....eventually they will give in....

197.9.2007 19:22

Actually AnyDVD hasn't had an update since Aug. 11. Almost a month. 'Blades of Glory' just recently could not be backed up with it.

Slysoft, What's up???

207.9.2007 19:39

There are only 2 sorts of people - those who have no problems with any dvd's at any time and under any circumstances (these are the honest people) - and those who have even the slightest problem (these are the dishonest - these are the pirates and crims, the troublemakers who no doubt have have family members in al qaida).

RIAA, ARIA et al only sell to the first lot. Well, not so much sell as share with.

The other lot deserve everything that they get because they are bad people who's only good action has been to have assisted economic development by providing the basis for a permanent new industry and a career path for lawyers and others of their ilk (commonly known as pus sucking scumbags who have been damned to the nethermost hells of disney land with no ice cream or sodas EVER).

Bad people, bad, bad people for refusing to play the capitalist game.

217.9.2007 23:04
cappyx

the whole premis here is... dumb dumb dumb dumb

whoever the team was that thought of this should be fired just some of the most stupidist crap i have ever heard....

228.9.2007 5:18

I want the RIAA to come after me. I have no money, steal all their stuff and would cost them a lot to get nothing!

238.9.2007 6:23

the only problem is, they don't want your money (not), they want your soul...

sad world

248.9.2007 6:25

Originally posted by tranquash:
the only problem is, they don't want your money (not), they want your soul...

sad world
My soul is safe. I sold it to the Devil years ago!

258.9.2007 7:16

I'm pretty confident Slysoft will find something right away. Good point though. Who is going to be watching a cam version of a movie on an HD player...right ?

268.9.2007 9:46
silverarm

You know, I have 2 kids that seem to be on an endless DVD destruction spree. So, in order to keep from killing them or selling them off to slavery, I purchased anydvd and clonedvd to backup copies for the slaughter instead of my precious, bought with hard-earned money originals. Now, I have corporate, money-hungry bastards trying to say that it should be illegal/downright sinful for me to backup my own stuff!! I don't consider the backups as collectibles. I consider them to be cannon fodder, and a way to keep from having to buy another copy. Hey, if they'd make a DVD to where it was virtually indestructable, that'd be great, but they don't. And it's a good thing to, because you have to take out a loan just to purchase one.
I just wish the rich pricks would just chill out. They're making a killing as it is!!! GET OUT OF MY POCKET ALREADY!!!
I say we give up movies and go back to books and plays, but if we all did that, a book would cost 20x what it does now and people would still be sneaking camcorders into the playhouse where admission would require a credit check!!

278.9.2007 13:06
nobrainer

Originally posted by silverarm:
i think this comes into account when they block copying as kids do destroy dvd's and games so if they can get 2x sale instead of ppl having a "usable" backup.

the same is for pc games and you are legally allowed to make a backup of them but they get arround this by letting you copy the game and enable it to be installed but without the original game/programme you cannot use it.

starforce and sony's securom are two very such anti consumer DRM's that enable companies to use this method of protection.

re: starforce. it has not been used widly of late due to public outcries of it breaking pc drives.

288.9.2007 15:21

I support Slysoft's continuation of allowing DVD's (whatever type) to be copied, and here's a ligitimate reason why:

(actual true story here)

My buddy and I both bought the big Battlestar Galactica old series
set a few years ago (you know, the big box set that had a Cylon head on it that starred Lorne Greene... the opriginal). Paid well over a hundred bucks each for the expensive set. We live in Canada, BTW, where we get really hosed, but I digress.

Just last spring, I went to play one of the discs and it wouldn't play. I examined the disc and noticed that it and another of the discs were cracked and de-laminating (the #2 and #3 discs)from the central hub. Just two out of the six in the set. My friend's were also delaminating and cracked the same way. The same two discs as mine! Clearly a manufacturing defect of some sort!

My buddy and I have been trying to contact Universal for months (we are forced to contact the Canadian distributor) and to no avail...yet. We still have not got our replacement discs.

Fortunately, my buddy's set were still playable (the de-lamination was not quite as advanced as mine were yet), and I made copies of his set as "back ups". (Had to divide each disc so that I could maintain 100% quality).

Thanks to the ability to copy the discs, I was able to "keep my investment", as it seems the studios don't give a damn about screwing you over with bad discs, and/or making it difficult or impossible to get replacements. Nevertheless, my original discs are toast.

I'll continue to hassle Universal but look at the time you need to spend to get service. Even if they DO replace the discs, if time were money in this case I'd have had to pay nearly double the price just to try to get my initial purchase price "money's worth".

I always buy my movies and TV shows as originals whenever possible, and I believe in supporting the studios when they release the shows and media we want. I'm all for them making big profits. But until the studios serve their customers better with replacement of defective discs, I'm all in favour of the "piraters" making as many copies as they want, as long as they aren't actually selling them for profit! I also believe in copyright protection but in this case it would have been a hinderance, and I would have lost a lot more money (in proportion to my income) than the studios lose due to piracy!

Long live Sly-Soft's "Any DVD" and another wonderful program called "Clone DVD"!!!! At least we can make back-up copies when the studio's customer "service" department is as poor as my experience has taught me!!

EjIMBo.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Sep 2007 @ 15:33

When I got married, I never realized I would become a politician by default. I now engage in constant debate with the Official Opposition!

2910.9.2007 15:25

They wont be able to fight slysoft it is too strong and already is a firm player in the market.

3010.9.2007 17:07