AfterDawn: Glossary

Blu-ray Region Codes

Just like with DVD region codes, Blu-ray discs also have region codes, although much simpler than the 9 codes for DVD.

Players in the region will only play movies designated for their region.

This allows content providers to control the content, price, release date of films on Blu-ray.

Despite the availability of these codes, only 30 percent of films use them and the other 70 percent are region-code-free.

By being free of region codes, they can be played in any Blu-ray drive or player.

Of the major studios, Paramount and Universal have released all region-code-free films, while Sony, Warner, Lionsgate and Disney have released most region-code-free with some notable exceptions. 20th Century Fox and MGM remain strong proponents of using region codes.

Related glossary terms


Select a term to see the explanation